Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Westport over Easter

Options
  • 08-04-2011 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Going to Westport on good fri for the bank hol wk end with all the relations. We're climbing the reek on Saturday followed by a major session. We're looking for non alcohol related fun activities to do on good Friday and Easter Sunday afternoon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭City boy turned country

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Having my hen night in Westport in the middle of April and I'm looking for a daytime activity for everyone to get to know one another.

Neither I, nor many of my friends are girly-girls so I was thinking about a bit of clay-pigeon shooting but it seems dear and it lasts 3 hours. I'm also not interested in anything water-based, cause, lets face it, it's going to be freezing!

We're willing to travel a little.

Might not be of interest and may be considered girly but I think hotel westport do cocktail lessons. I heard from a friend that they were set up to do one for a hen party while he was looking at it for his wedding next year.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Galway County. Galway mods, sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

chinkaroo wrote: »
    Going to Westport on good fri for the bank hol wk end with all the relations. We're climbing the reek on Saturday followed by a major session. We're looking for non alcohol related fun activities to do on good Friday and Easter Sunday afternoon

Cant get more fun that Delphi.
    http://www.delphimountainresort.com/

It would be about 45mins from Westport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Did we buy Westport of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Toots* wrote: »
    Moved to Galway County. Galway mods, sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

It is, you want next door

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=952

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Oi!!! Who stole Westport. Give it back!

There is Westport House.

http://www.westporthouse.ie/

Clew bay sea safaris.

http://www.clewbayseasafaris.com/

Turlough House in Castlebar.

http://www.museum.ie/en/list/overview-tp.aspx

The new Skatepark/basketball court is being officially this weekend. I tried to find a few pics but couldn't find any online yet. But it looked busy last Sunday.

Loads to do in Westport and its surrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Loads to do around Westport. I'd definitely advise cycling the Great Western Greenway running from Newport to Mulranney (not sure if the Westport-Newport or Mulranney-Achill sections are finished yet). This runs on the old rail line so you don't have to worry about traffic if you have children with you. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMVG7pMRvs . Cycle 1 way and Clewbay Bike Hire will bring ye back too if you're not too fit! If cycling isn't your thing try a sea kayak lesson, nice way to get out on the bay and spend a couple of hours.

If the weather is nice and you haven't done it before climb Croagh Patrick. The views from the top are stunning as well as a great sense of achievement. If you're doing it bring water and definitely hire a walking stick from the auld man at the base of the reek, think he charges €2 per stick. It's a definite back saver.

There's also a number of beaches out Murrisk and Louisburgh. Bertra Strand and Old Head are great for a picnic and for the kids to have a paddle. Further out at Carrownisky Beach are a couple of surf schools. Irregardless of age if you haven't tried a surf lesson give it a blast

Visit Achill for a few hours being sure to take the alternative Atlantic drive from Mulranney (instead of the main road). Keel beach is amazing as is the entire scenery of the island. Might be cool to visit the deserted famine village at Slievemore on the Island and have a picnic.

Delphi and KillaryAdventure would be other options but they are about a 40 minute drive away although the scenery heading out there is absolutely phenomenal. Enjoy yourselves whatever ye do!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Agree with all of the above. But we found Bertra Strand which is just past Croagh Patrick on the right hand side earlier this year and it was a beautiful walk and run along the dunes. Will do it again when in Westport. Eating out in Westport is shocking expensive though. Someone should really let the restaurants know that prices like this are not acceptable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I too am going to Westport for the long weekend.

We#re climbing CP sat, and doing the Clewbay cycle on Sunday

http://www.clewbayoutdoors.com/

we booked SolRio for dinner Sat nite, and going to have pub grub in Cosy Joes on the Sunday. I've been told to avoid the niteclub in the hotel sat nite as it's full of stags and hens, so we'll probably do matt molloys/cosy joes (late bar) sat nite. Anyone got any other suggestions for early 30s girls?

I cant wait, i hope the weather is good- you never know with the wesht!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Wonkagirl wrote: »

we booked SolRio for dinner Sat nite, and going to have pub grub in Cosy Joes on the Sunday. I've been told to avoid the niteclub in the hotel sat nite as it's full of stags and hens, so we'll probably do matt molloys/cosy joes (late bar) sat nite. Anyone got any other suggestions for early 30s girls?

The stags and hens go to the late bars too so no real reason to avoid the Niteclub because of them. Upstairs in the niteclub has older music as in 80's and 90's. Crowd is mixed between older and younger.
    Another option for a late bar is Heneghans. I'm not a fan of Cosy Joe's at all at night time but their food is nice.

Have fun, Westport is a great place.
    If you post in the Mayo forum you might a few more ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway County -> Mayo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The niteclub is sound, its big enough to absorb the hens and stags but 1/2 of them never make it anyway :D

Make sure you run CP now WonkaGirl, no slacking back! :)
    The greenway is a lovely cycle.

Get out to Bertra beach for a nice walk in the sand dunes or further on to Louisburgh you have lovely beaches at Old Head, Carrowmore or Silverstrand.

Great feed in Sol Rio, the towers do nice food also but then again 3/4 of the town is covered in good restaurants! :)

If the weather is good Westport is one of the nicest places in Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Agree with all the above.

IN pubs McGings in High Street and Morans on Bridge St ( across from Matt Molloys) worth a call

Also consider a day trip to Clare Island.

Dec225 once again claiming Westport restaurants are expensive - there are a wide range of places to eat in town and vicinity ( including Tavern in Murrisk, and Nevins in Tiernaur ), some in business for years, so they must be doing something right. Could he quote comparisons, or else drop this persistent complaint?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dec25532 wrote: »
    Eating out in Westport is shocking expensive though. Someone should really let the restaurants know that prices like this are not acceptable anymore.
    Again with this.

We had dinner in Sage last week. Two generous starters (and I asked for extra bread to mop up the sauce, it was so good), two equally generous main courses, two glasses of wine and one dessert: €65. I could hardly walk out of the place, I was that full.

I'm not sure what constitutes "shocking expensive", but I'm starting to think you're using McDonalds as your baseline.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what constitutes "shocking expensive", but I'm starting to think you're using McDonalds as your baseline.

Not so. Think McDonald's is a rip off for the price of food that they dish out. Anyway, back to Westport. I love the town and stay there at least twice a year but the price of food is a major gripe. The italian restaurants are €3 and €4 per main course dearer than the likes of Galway and Sligo. Had a meal in The Helm and for two main courses and a bottle of house wine it was €70ish. Okay, the food was fine but nothing exceptional. I think it was vastly overpriced. If people book hotels in Westport, they are nearly better booking their evening meals as well because they work out much cheaper. Westport is using its tourist status to maintain high prices but eventually this will jump up to bite them . . . despite all the hens and stags. Other towns (and cities) have come to the realisation that they have to drop their prices. Westport hasn't. You cannot compare a restaurant in Westport with a restaurant anywhere else in terms of food, menu and price but as I do like my food and eat out quite a bit, I can safely say that Westport is probably the most expensive town to eat in. Hell, Killarney is not as expensive anymore.

...the price of food is a major gripe. The italian restaurants are €3 and €4 per main course dearer than the likes of Galway and Sligo.
    3 or 4 notes is a major gripe? Seriously?
    Westport is using its tourist status to maintain high prices...
    Maybe the cost of doing business is higher in Westport.
    You cannot compare a restaurant in Westport with a restaurant anywhere else in terms of food, menu and price but as I do like my food and eat out quite a bit, I can safely say that Westport is probably the most expensive town to eat in. Hell, Killarney is not as expensive anymore.
    I'm sorry, but I don't find €65 expensive for the meal I had in Westport last week. I've spent more on food that I would describe as similar in quality last time I was in Kinsale, but I'm not constantly bitching on the Cork forum about what a rip-off restaurants in Kinsale are.

3 or 4 notes is a major gripe? Seriously? Maybe the cost of doing business is higher in Westport. I'm sorry, but I don't find €65 expensive for the meal I had in Westport last week. I've spent more on food that I would describe as similar in quality last time I was in Kinsale, but I'm not constantly bitching on the Cork forum about what a rip-off restaurants in Kinsale are.

So it's okay to lash on three or four euro onto every dish simply because it is Westport and the cost of doing business in the town is more expensive than anywhere else in the country? Get real. And maybe it would be no harm if you expressed your opinions about the prices they charge in Kinsale. It is what this forum is all about.

So it's okay to lash on three or four euro onto every dish simply because it is Westport and the cost of doing business in the town is more expensive than anywhere else in the country? Get real.
    Fine. You obviously know something I don't, and have evidence that everyone who runs a restaurant in Westport is creaming extraordinary profits. Maybe you should set up a reasonably-priced restaurant in Westport - how could you possibly lose?
    And maybe it would be no harm if you expressed your opinions about the prices they charge in Kinsale. It is what this forum is all about.
    Well, no - this forum is all about Mayo. As to the prices they charge in Kinsale, I didn't have a problem paying them. I enjoyed my meal and felt it was worth what I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Have to say that I ate out recently in Crocketts in Ballina and paid €65 for the grub for the missus and myself. It was good food, nice atmosphere and I'm sure the quality was of equal measure to some of the Westport establishments.

Did I feel I got value for money...definitely not. That's no reflection on the fayre just that it's the going rate for good grub. For the same meal will I get VFM next year? I think so cause there is only one way prices are going and that's down....many places will be doing well to survive a quiet Summer this year, IMHO.

The every little helps slogan hasn't reached the hospitality sector quite yet when it comes to grub. Note that Crocketts offer B&B for €30 which is definitely great value....

finisklin wrote: »
    Did I feel I got value for money...definitely not.
    I guess it depends where you set your benchmark. We've had home-cooked meals the equal of some top-notch restaurants at a total ingredient cost of under a tenner. Based on that I could denounce every restaurant I've ever eaten in as a rip-off and a waste of money, but I don't see it that way.

How much is something worth? As much as people are prepared to pay for it, no more, no less. If I didn't think I was getting value for money eating out in Westport, I wouldn't eat out in Westport. I don't understand why anyone would eat out in Westport and then complain that they didn't get value for their money. Eat somewhere cheaper, or buy ingredients and prepare your own food.

If Westport's restaurants charge more than people are prepared to pay, then people will stop paying and they will either be forced to reduce their prices or go out of business. As long as people are prepared to pay the current prices, it would be, quite simply, bad business practice to reduce them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Dec25 as you are always complaining that Westport is dear could you please state what you have paid in other restaurants around the country compared to what you have paid in Westport ( naming the establishments in each case )

Westport has been a popular tourist resort for many years and I would hate to think that anybody feels he or she is ripped off.

C'mon - put up the information and I am sure the Westport Tourism Organisation will call a special meeting of the local restauranteurs.

I guess it depends where you set your benchmark.

Benchmark = Budget? it's a recession and everyone knows the value of a Euro and what they're prepared to pay......
    How much is something worth? As much as people are prepared to pay for it, no more, no less.

I think a little care needs to be exercised on this one......just cause you bought a house 5 years ago for €1m doesn't necessary mean that it's worth it. Or put another way.....the price of all the materials, inputs etc is no where near a €1m. There is profit factored in that's extraordinary.
    As long as people are prepared to pay the current prices, it would be, quite simply, bad business practice to reduce them.

I guess that's my point....people aren't gonna pay them prices anymore. Why? They're looking for value for money becuase the understand how far their € will go/stretch. In Dunnes stores you can buy a sandwich, bottle of water and packet of crisps for €2.99. The Saagar restaruant on Harcourt St in Dublin you can have a 2 course lunch and a tea/coffe for €9.95. Marks & Sparks are doing a dine in for two for €12.50. Lasagna and salad on Iarnrod Eireann €9.95...had this last year, delish.

The current environment is turning people onto deals and special offers. They are actively looking for them. If you are not getting value for money you are able to understand why because you can compare and contrast prices and deals known to you.

I went to Crocketts because it was an occasion...if I had got value for money I may be returning sooner. However, money is too tight to mention so it ain't gonna be for awhile agin.

finisklin wrote: »
    I think a little care needs to be exercised on this one......just cause you bought a house 5 years ago for €1m doesn't necessary mean that it's worth it.
    Nope. But you clearly thought it was worth it five years ago. There's no objectively-true assessment of the value of something, so the only useful measure is - as I said - what someone's prepared to pay.
    I guess that's my point....people aren't gonna pay them prices anymore.
    ...in which case the restaurants will reduce their prices or go out of business. I didn't see any sign of a restaurant in trouble when I was there last week. I guess enough people are prepared to pay the obscene €3-4 Westport premium to keep them in business, and - presumably - driving home to their mansions in their Bentleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I strongly would advise to avoid cosy joes come nightfall. Malloys is good but I always seem to have a better night in the Vineyard just up the road. I'm not a local (the surname suggests I could be) but I do frequent the town 4-5 times a year. The nightclub is actually good craic on a Saturday night, as mentioned, upstairs offers a change of pace.

Have a great weekend - we were supposed to go down too but the shack was double booked

Nope. But you clearly thought it was worth it five years ago. There's no objectively-true assessment of the value of something, so the only useful measure is - as I said - what someone's prepared to pay

I beg to differ you can look at it objectively.....what's the trend? Comparing prices to five years ago is pretty insightful. A major readjustment has taken place in many sectors of the economy. For example, Irish hotels represents the best value in (either Western) Europe, not sure which, and is a far cry from where they were.

In addition, I don't think someone in negative equity would agree entirely with you. A bit extreme but a real one. The problem for restaruants is there cost base and labour rates that are paid to staff. These are the JLC rates and are based on a celtic tiger environment which has long set sail. Plus tourist volumes are down which make it incredibly difficult for Westport not to be hit. IMHO many restaurants are threading water, can a decent Summer season sustain them? I think some will be hit.....no question
    I guess enough people are prepared to pay the obscene €3-4 Westport premium to keep them in business, and - presumably - driving home to their mansions in their Bentleys.

I wonder is that why the restaurant association of Ireland are calling wolf and shouting about a crisis?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0413/1224294558457.html

Something gotta give....either lower rents, lower wages or fewer restaurants. The RAI are calling a spade a spade. It is happening.

As an aside I note the passing of Mr Chips in Swinford......always a good spot for the quick bag of chips and burger after a match.

Tough times demand value priced grub at all levels of the market. I just hope your right and that Westport holds on to its restaurants as there are some fine eateries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Westport house it def another good one to do.

Advertisement