Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2012, 06:43   #31
CharAdriel

I also have reservations about how the book is going to translate on film. However, I still can't wait to see them try. The books were great and I appreciate that the author didn't drag the story out longer than 3 books.
Advertisement
11-03-2012, 20:25   #32
lestat21
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvasean View Post
To me (someone who hasn't read the books) it just looks like a very blatant rip off of Battle Royale. Anything I'm missing that sets it apart?
I taut that too but the writer apparently got the idea channel swapping between american idol and some war film .... shed apparently never heard of BR

I havent read BR but I've seen the film and it didn't really look at the issues behind the kids been forced to kill each other. Hunger Games were set up to punish regions of a post apocolyptic state for rebelling against the city. Its a trilogy that evolves into a dark look at civil war, post traumatic stress, torture and all that stuff.. I taut it was something very different from the usual young adult BS but you might disagree. Does that sound like the BR book or bit different?? Id actually luv to know..

Also I can imagine the first film will be very good and stick to the material of the book. But as the subsequent books get darker, I imagine it will get the hollywood treatment.
11-03-2012, 22:38   #33
TheIrishGrover

I haven't read the BR manga but I have seen the film (and, unfortunately, the sequel) and I have read the Hunger Games books. To be honest, there is a fair point to be made about the similarities and I don't really believe that Battle Royale (the movie/s) had no influence altogether. There are just too many similarities. Of course there are differences: The whole different region thing, the fact it's televised etc but, once they got into the games themselves and the other books, I kept being brought back to Battle Royale. I enjoyed the books (Wasn't too gone on the last one though) but I can't see what the hysteria is all about. They were fun and quick reads but not earth shattering (My favourite "kids" books have to be Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy which I urge everyone to read). It seems they have laid off the advertising a bit lately, although I'm sure it's the calm before the storm, but I'm already a bit jaded by the barrage of advertising. (Maybe because I've read the books)
Thanks from:
12-03-2012, 00:23   #34
Galvasean

Send a message via MSN to Galvasean
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestat21 View Post
I havent read BR but I've seen the film and it didn't really look at the issues behind the kids been forced to kill each other. Hunger Games were set up to punish regions of a post apocolyptic state for rebelling against the city. Its a trilogy that evolves into a dark look at civil war, post traumatic stress, torture and all that stuff.. I taut it was something very different from the usual young adult BS but you might disagree. Does that sound like the BR book or bit different?? Id actually luv to know..
It's been ages since I've seen BR (never read the manga), but IIRC the idea behind it was to 'sacrifice' one class of school kids every as the youth of Japan were being too disrespectful to authority.
Just checked Wiki and the film apparently opens with this text:
"At the dawn of the millennium, the nation collapsed. At fifteen percent unemployment, ten million were out of work. 800,000 students boycotted school. The adults lost confidence and, fearing the youth, eventually passed the Millennium Educational Reform Act, AKA the BR Act..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishGrover View Post
Of course there are differences: The whole different region thing, the fact it's televised etc but, once they got into the games themselves and the other books, I kept being brought back to Battle Royale.
Reminds me of The Condemed, where a TV mogul rounds up the world's deadliest convicts and puts them on an island BR style and streams it live on web bases pay per view.

Starring Vinny Jones and Stone Cold Steve Austin no less!
12-03-2012, 13:25   #35
That_Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to That_Guy
Saw the trailer for this. Doesn't look too bad. As others have said it looks like Battle Royale lite though.
Advertisement
12-03-2012, 13:30   #36
cynder

They still dont have a rating on the film, do you recon it will be a 12A?

cant pre book tickets yet either
12-03-2012, 14:18   #37
Sasquatch76
Closed Account

One thing it has going for it is Jennifer Lawrence. I was very impressed with her in Winter's Bone... she could be a talent.
12-03-2012, 14:22   #38
Otacon
Registered Abuser

Send a message via Skype™ to Otacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch76 View Post
she could be a talent.
Yes, yes she could be!
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2012, 23:18   #39
Darko

We're going to be getting a cut version over here, the BBFC has said that in order to achieve a 12 rating in the UK cuts have to be made so 7 seconds is being removed. It's obvious that they are going after the Twilight audience which I think is the wrong idea. While many of us instantly think of Battle Royale or the Condemned when we see posters/trailers for this there is a lot of potential.

I'm curious as to why the BBFC allowed them a 12 cert meaning that under 12s can now go see a film about kids killing one another. Good chance that there's little in the way of onscreen violence.
Advertisement
13-03-2012, 23:24   #40
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

BBFC cuts usually only affect our DVD/Blu-ray releases. The cinema version should be untouched.
13-03-2012, 23:38   #41
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
BBFC cuts usually only affect our DVD/Blu-ray releases. The cinema version should be untouched.
Hopefully we will get the uncut version, the one positive of digital is that it's much easier to create versions for each region. If the cuts were made in a half decent manner such as in the recent I Spit on Your Grave then it wouldn't be too bad but watching The Immortals a few weeks back I was struck by how poorly the cuts were implemented.
14-03-2012, 00:08   #42
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Was the Irish theatrical realise of Immortals cut? What did they cut?
14-03-2012, 00:29   #43
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
Was the Irish theatrical realise of Immortals cut? What did they cut?
I was referring to the Blu-Ray which had the following cuts:

Quote:
removal of the bloody focus on a throat being cut
reducing the focus on young women dying, having been burnt
reducing the focus on eye gouging
removing the shot of a beheading, and
reducing some focus on large splashes of blood resulting from characters being killed.
The problem with the cuts to Immortals is just how jarring they are. There are numerous moments where you find yourself asking what the hell just happened there as it's obvious that footage is missing. There is one great moment where a character falls down dead and we have no idea what just happened.

It seems that the version of the Hunger Games the BBFC cut had been cut by the studio before submitting it.
Thanks from:
14-03-2012, 20:37   #44
Lirange

This is receiving plenty of hype. I'm skeptical that it will live up to the expectations that some people seem to have. I'm not sure the books translate well to the screen. A central element of the books was the first person account of Katniss. That for me was the biggest strength of the story. That will be missing. The film will tell it in a completely different way. I'm not sure it will resonate as well. The inner conflicts of the character drove much of the story. It is completely inevitable and unavoidable that the audience that only knows the character from the film and not from the books will see Katniss much differently. Her outward projection of feelings often differed from what she really felt. Often her thoughts were probably much different than one might expect from most others. I'm not sure even a superb performance from Lawrence can address that.

Last edited by Lirange; 14-03-2012 at 20:40.
15-03-2012, 21:18   #45
giddybootz

I read the 3 books last week and I loved the 1st one, really liked the 2nd one and was a bit 'meh' by the end of the 3rd.

I am dying to see the movie though....not because I think it can be a patch on the book but because I am so excited to see more of Effie Trinket and the stylists!!! Totally the most exciting thing about the film release IMO!!

I'm a bit worried the love triangle will be over emphasized to reel in Twi-hards but fingers crossed it won't be too lame!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion