Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoopoe

Options
  • 03-04-2011 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Saw a lovely Hoopoe this morning while golfing at Skibbereen Golf Club Co. Cork.
    Beautiful plumage and a lovely crest on it's head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,634 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Hoopoe's rock:cool: - The only time I saw one was while on Honeymoon in Egypt(Sinai) a few years ago, stunning bird.

PS: Also got to see an African Hoopoe in Kenya back in '09, very hard to distinguish from its European counterpart, song is subtley different though and is the most common soundtrack of the African plains:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I only ever saw one the one time, in Germany. Mad lookin' yokes :p!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 22moomoo

Seen a Hoopoe yesterday in Co Louth. I'm not a bird watcher but love when i do come across an unusual bird. Seen it again today, i'll try get a picture if it's still around tomorrow.

Stunning bird with striking plumage and from what i hear there are only about 15 sightings or so in Ireland each year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

22moomoo wrote: »
    Seen a Hoopoe yesterday in Co Louth. I'm not a bird watcher but love when i do come across an unusual bird. Seen it again today, i'll try get a picture if it's still around tomorrow.

Stunning bird with striking plumage and from what i hear there are only about 15 sightings or so in Ireland each year

Is it in publicly accessible location? Would very much appreciate any info!

Not really, i first sighted it along the roadside but it flew into fields behind a couple of houses along the road. I live in the townland and am good friends with the farmer (literally across the road from my house).

He might come back to the roadside again. The area is in Clogherhead, co louth in a townland called Almondstown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

He won't be back now as ten thousand twitchers descend on Clogherhead. :D

Not really, i first sighted it along the roadside but it flew into fields behind a couple of houses along the road. I live in the townland and am good friends with the farmer (literally across the road from my house).

He might come back to the roadside again. The area is in Clogherhead, co louth in a townland called Almondstown.

Thanks for that. Hoopoes are quite rare in north Leinster, especially this late in the year, so its a very good find.

Could I forward the details of your sighting to the local birding group (with the proviso that is an inaccesible area)?

[Basically "Hoopoe present since Monday near Clogherhead in inaccessible area"]

He won't be back now as ten thousand twitchers descend on Clogherhead. :D

Nah, at most two or three people would show up. For example, I was the only one watching the two Desert Wheatears (a much rarer bird) on Bray Head this afternoon.

Yeah certainly let them know! I'm going out today to see if i can spot it and if i do i'll let you know.

Yeah certainly let them know! I'm going out today to see if i can spot it and if i do i'll let you know.

Thanks for that. Hopefully it will stay around for a while.

• Advertisement

Had a look today in the area i initially spotted it but no joy. I wouldn't be the most patient so i didn't stay around long. The guy who's garden it was in spotted it too the other day so he will keep an eye out too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Quite common in Andulucia. They have a really ''floppy'' flight style. Surprised you saw one so late in the year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Possibly seen one in Sligo a few days ago. Flew in front of me while driving. The colour and size got my attention. Though I don't think there was as much white in its lower end.

Must take a spin out again and see if I can locate the bird.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Possibly seen one in Sligo a few days ago. Flew in front of me while driving. The colour and size got my attention. Though I don't think there was as much white in its lower end.

Must take a spin out again and see if I can locate the bird.

Interesting. Maybe you could report the sighting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sighting on IrishBirding today. In Louth, with photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Common as muck in the sand dunes when I was in Marbella some years back but I'd travel to see one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭davidrafferty

Saw small flocks of Hoopoe while golfing in Murcia, Spain in October this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

V_Moth wrote: »
    Interesting. Maybe you could report the sighting here?

Will do. Still not 100% it was a hoopoe. Will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Will do. Still not 100% it was a hoopoe. Will keep an eye out.

They're pretty distinct. Only other possibility would be a Jay.

Advertisement