Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping hares eating bark off whitethorn quicks

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Put some whitethorn quicks in a few weeks back and the bark is being eaten by hares. Fenced off with sheep wire. Same problem last year and put bitumen/tar on the quicks but didn't make much of a difference.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We are in a similar position, we planted about 400m of hedging. So far the Hares kept away, and we have several hares, I counted 5 the other day, inc 2 fully white ones!
    We didn't fence ours yet but intend a strand of electric wire 4" off the ground.
    Our hedge is close to the house at one end and the hares usually keep their distance.
    However to answer your question, I have seen it reported that some people get great results by putting lime down around the quick to deter rabbits and hares.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Give the trees a rub of emulsion paint and it should keep them away

rliston wrote: »

I never heard of that! Now that would be a job I'd like to delegate. We could do the top 100m away form the house. 6 plants/m takes a bit of painting!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Bizzum wrote: »
    I never heard of that! !

Its standard practice for vulnerable young trees on golf courses AFAIK

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its standard practice for vulnerable young trees on golf courses AFAIK

I wouldn't know that either. I'm with Mark Twain on golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

if you want i can supply some pest control if your not to far?

Spunk84 wrote: »

You're ok thanks.
    I don't consider our few hares pests. Indeed I'm quite fond of them and would do all in my power that they may prosper!
    Even if they kill a few quicks, it's a small price to pay for the joy of having a few around.
    Of all our animals, the hare is one of my favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Bluebelle

You're ok thanks.
    I don't consider our few hares pests. Indeed I'm quite fond of them and would do all in my power that they may prosper!
    Even if they kill a few quicks, it's a small price to pay for the joy of having a few around.

:cool:post

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

ive got hundreds of rabbits , don't know what to do about it , what would you suggest? in mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Finno59 wrote: »
    ive got hundreds of rabbits , don't know what to do about it , what would you suggest? in mayo

Talk to your local gun club. That's part of their job if you allow them shooting on your land.

If there is no local club find a local shooter or ferreter who will be delighted to help you out. Make sure that whoever you let into your land has adequate insurance. AFAIK there are three types, IFA, NARGC and CAI. Any is fine.

• Advertisement

Finno59 wrote: »

Post in the hunting forum and you'll have plenty of lads queuing up to help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

havent tried it yet but somebody suggested jeyes fliud around the plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

You're ok thanks.

Bizz no problem mate offers there if you every need it:)

Bizz no problem mate offers there if you every need it:)

Lovely stuff. I wouldn't be without the old shotgun myself, and I do value pest control where required.

Check out Finno's post though. He looks like he could do with a dig out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

rliston wrote: »

How does this work?
    I have the same problem, but it's the fresh green shoots they keep eating. I'm hardly going to paint the fresh shoots!

pakalasa wrote: »
    How does this work?
    I have the same problem, but it's the fresh green shoots they keep eating. I'm hardly going to paint the fresh shoots!

AFAIK they hate the smell of the stuff,so they steer clear of the entire plant

Advertisement