Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Panasonic TX-P50G20B for £654 and free shipping

Options
  • 25-03-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Amazon appear to be shipping this TV for free to Ireland now - Panasonic TX-P50G20B - 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 600Hz Neo Plasma TV with Freeview.

Amazing price for a lot of telly - I got the 42 inch back last summer for much more and a big delivery cost.

I put it in my basket and got all the way through to the final review stage and no error stating that the item cant be delivered to your chosen location. So hopefully its not a glitch on the website. Unfortunately I dont have space for another one so couldnt confirm the purchase to see whether its valid or not

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Great spot!

Just checked the Samsung PS50C7000 there, and it's also on free delivery!

So maybe they've changed their shipping policy on tvs? It'd be brilliant if they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is great news if they have, its long overdue.

And its worth mentioning that if they're shipping 50" plasma's, and plasma's are not the easiest tvs to ship, that they would shipp all tvs!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Also tried the 47" LG Infinia, and it ships! They also adjust the price for Irish VAT, so I reckon we're away in a hack!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

the chill winds of competition will be blowing in for Richer Sounds, and the Powercities of this world if this is actually the case

• Advertisement

Its an okay deal but tbh i think the panasonic 42" 3D goin for 700€ in Harvey Normans is a much better deal tbh. Theres another thread on it goin in BA atm
    clevtrev wrote: »
    the chill winds of competition will be blowing in for Richer Sounds, and the Powercities of this world if this is actually the case

In every sense of the word, it has to be said. Whats more thay never have much stock issues or anything of the like. Theres been a gap in the market for someone willing to ship all tvs to Ireland from the UK for a couple of years now, hope this a permanent thing and not a glitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yes but if anything goes wrong with the tv you have to ship it back, you can add at least an extra week in delays in getting it back to you. On a purchase like that I'd rather go to a bricks and mortar.

With tvs, its a fair point but many people will just think of the lower initial outlay

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yes but if anything goes wrong with the tv you have to ship it back, you can add at least an extra week in delays in getting it back to you. On a purchase like that I'd rather go to a bricks and mortar.

agreed on the wait time but never felt any warm fuzzy feelings when I tried to return stuff to Powercity in the past. Amazon will refund transport costs and they're fairly no quibble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Am I right in saying that with this Panasonic I can get both Freeview HD (for Soariew) and Freesat HD (connect sky dish and get the free channels like BBC, BBC HD etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This is great news if they have, its long overdue.

And its worth mentioning that if they're shipping 50" plasma's, and plasma's are not the easiest tvs to ship, that they would shipp all tvs!

I posted about this a few days ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71321175&postcount=15
    I'm mighty tempted to buy the Panasonic ,its a beast.
    Am I right in saying that with this Panasonic I can get both Freeview HD (for Soariew) and Freesat HD (connect sky dish and get the free channels like BBC, BBC HD etc)?
    Yes

If its a glitch then, its lasting a long time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great value, pity I bought a 42" Panny plasma about 2 years ago for twice the price, my missus won't let me upgrade..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Great value, pity I bought a 42" Panny plasma about 2 years ago for twice the price, my missus won't let me upgrade..........

As did I. However the G10 and V10 series are still kick-ass TVs and while the G20/V20s are superior, they are not vastly so.

Good spot OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

gebbel wrote: »
    As did I. However the G10 and V10 series are still kick-ass TVs and while the G20/V20s are superior, they are not vastly so.

Good spot OP.

Yup totally agree. I've the G10 and it's a fantastic TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I have the GT20 the 3D one why would you pay about 700 euro for a non 3D tv ?

You can pick up the 3D of this TV in shops for 700 euros but it will be a bit smaller so why you get the tv online when you can pick it for the same in store

Yes but a 50" set is MUCH bugger than a 42", in fairness. And some people really dont see themselves getting the use out of a 3D set, which is fair enough. In fact the viewing area on a 50" set is ~49% more than a 42" set

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Yes but a 50" set is MUCH bugger than a 50", in fairness.

Im lost on that one....... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I have the GT20 the 3D one why would you pay about 700 euro for a non 3D tv ?

You can pick up the 3D of this TV in shops for 700 euros but it will be a bit smaller so why you get the tv online when you can pick it for the same in store

cause 3D is shíte?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mr bishi

Does anyone whether they will be delivering the tvs via courier.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Im lost on that one....... :pac:

Grrrrrr... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

How do you even return a TV in the post? (serious question)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

Maybe a silly question.
    But I seem to remember hearing something awhile back about certain UK TV'S not working in the Republic.
    Can anyone shed any like on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hmmm wrote: »
    How do you even return a TV in the post? (serious question)

42" envelope :D

but seriously, most major tv manufacturers will have an official repair centre in ireland to try fix it
    if it can't be fixed the manufacturer will give authorisation for Amazon to refund you, who will in turn claim off the manufacturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

465 wrote: »
    Maybe a silly question.
    But I seem to remember hearing something awhile back about certain UK TV'S not working in the Republic.
    Can anyone shed any like on this?

Not a silly question at all.

In general TV's sold from the UK with "Freeview" tuners will not work with the new Free To Air Irish digital TV service called Saorview which is replacing the old Analogue TV service provided by RTE. If you are a SKY or Cable viewer it's not going to be a huge concern. It will only really affect you if you want to receive Saorview or are currently receiving Analogue RTE/TV3/TG4 via an Aerial and are looking for a replacement TV.

The UK has a new Free To Air TV service called FreeviewHD, TV's sold with the FreeviewHD logo will work with Saorview.

However If I was buying a TV from the UK I'd look for one with the FreesatHD logo, they are hard enough to come by in Ireland and the ones that are sold here are sold at an inflated price. FreesatHD will give you all of these TV channels subscription free(Channel 4HD is joining the line up in April). It just needs a connection from your Satellite dish (the same as SKY TV) and you are good to go.

There are some TV's coming along which do FreeviewHD and FreesatHD so you could have all the Irish channels via an Aerial and the UK ones via Satellite..... nice

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Not a silly question at all.

In general TV's sold from the UK with "Freeview" tuners will not work with the new Free To Air Irish digital TV service called Saorview which is replacing the old Analogue TV service provided by RTE. If you are a SKY or Cable viewer it's not going to be a huge concern. It will only really affect you if you want to receive Saorview or are currently receiving Analogue RTE/TV3/TG4 via an Aerial and are looking for a replacement TV.

The UK has a new Free To Air TV service called FreeviewHD, TV's sold with the FreeviewHD logo will work with Saorview.

However If I was buying a TV from the UK I'd look for one with the FreesatHD logo, they are hard enough to come by in Ireland and the ones that are sold here are sold at an inflated price. FreesatHD will give you all of these TV channels subscription free(Channel 4HD is joining the line up in April). It just needs a connection from your Satellite dish (the same as SKY TV) and you are good to go.

There are some TV's coming along which do FreeviewHD and FreesatHD so you could have all the Irish channels via an Aerial and the UK ones via Satellite..... nice

Just to add to this, some of the Panasonic TVs (new ones) don't seem to work well with Saorview. Check out the terrestrial forum for further information.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Declared Interest First - I work for for Richer Sounds Ireland & The Philips Shop.

Guys I'm sure Powercity won't mind the competition as their pricing is pretty keen anyway and Richer Sounds & The Philips Shop have never refused a pricebeat either so I have no issue with competition - however I have just checked it out today and the Amazon site still states clearly:

The following items can only be delivered to addresses within the UK:
    • Children's clothing and nappies, children's shoes, children's car seats.
    • Blank media items, such as CDs, DVDs and MP3/4 players.
    • Safety equipment and medicines.
    • Light bulbs and TV equipment cannot be shipped to Ireland (Republic of).

This is listed on the link page from the LG and Pana TV's regarding delivery policies & restrictions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=524836

We already are acutely aware of web pricing, we work with it daily and have to adjust pricing several times a day on some products to reflect the prevailing pricing in both the UK or Ireland. If you have a look around I don't think there will be many Customers who can say that if they pointed out a genuine price to us that we did not price beat it, especially for Boardies, of course ;) subject to our pretty reasonable T's & C's - However as I said - if Amazon ship into Ireland, no problem - hopefully if they do - then Amazon will offer you the same level of Customer interaction as we do including Phone availability, Professional advice, Physical Collection points & daily Boards interaction.

Also the pricing is interesting on the few models mentioned in the two linked Boards threads for Amazon as follows :

LG 42LD450 - £366.18 = Amazon price / Richer Sounds = £349.95

LG 47LX9900 - £1887 = Amazon Price / Richer Sounds = £1599.95

LG 42LX6900 - £749.99 = Amazon price / Richer Sounds = £699.95

Again I understand that I have a vested interest - but given that EVERY retailer across Europe pretty much already ships into Ireland, I'm not sure Amazon who are not greatly competitive on AV kit generally will be the straw that breaks the Camels back...

As ever, if we can assist please do drop me a line and we will do our best to assist if we can,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

PS all links and pricing checked 26.3.2011 15.00Hrs

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

The tv mentioned just went up by £225 :(

skywalker wrote: »
    The tv mentioned just went up by £225 :(
    But you'll see that that price is with a different seller, Amazon are most probably out of stock. Given that the 50G20 is no longer in production anyway, that'll probably be the end of it, at that super low price anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement