Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the extra maths points count towards top 6?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm in 5th year and my question is say for example I was doing all higher level and I got 6 B3s in my other subjects and then got a C1 in maths, would my maths result including the 25 extra points be counted as part of my top 6? If simply my top 6 grades were taken then technically I could have received more points by doing worse in one of the 6 B3 subjects worth 75 points and receiving the 95 points I would get for a C1 in maths. I hope I've made my question clear :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yes, your maths will be counted. It's your 6 best in terms of points and that in this case can mean you will have a lower grade in maths but it will be worth more points.

As it stands under the system that is finishing this year UL offer bonus points for honours maths, other colleges used to offer it but phased it out about 15 years ago.

I got a C3 in biology and a C3 in maths (both honours) in my LC. Biology was worth 60 and maths worth 65 in UL because of the bonus points so maths was counted instead of biology.

So under this system you will rank your subjects in terms of points instead of grades, so it's worth considering that next year a D3 in Honours Maths will be worth 70 points (45 + 25 bonus points) which is the equivalent of a C1 Honours in any other subject. And also for those thinking of dropping to Ordinary Level at the last minute. D3 Honours will be worth 10 points more than A1 in Ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ChuTalkinBout?

Thanks for the quick reply! Thats great.

Advertisement