Engagement rings-Cheaper abroad?? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2011, 10:23   #1
Karlrove

Engagement rings-Cheaper abroad??

Hi, Im just wondering if there is a difference in price in engagement ring abroad compared to here in Ireland. For example,would a diamond ring be cheaper to get in New York than somewhere in Dublin? And if so,would it be worth buying one in New York? Thanks for any advice!
Advertisement
13-03-2011, 21:29   #2
Karlrove

Engagement ring-cheaper ABROAD?

Hi, Im just wondering if there is a difference in price in engagement ring abroad compared to here in Ireland.Im new to this! For example,would a diamond ring be cheaper to get in New York than somewhere in Dublin? And if so,would it be worth buying one in New York? Thanks for any advice!
13-03-2011, 21:34   #3
Ickle Magoo
Closed Account

Moved from PI, think you'll get better advice here OP.
13-03-2011, 22:49   #4
Tracy Jacks

Antwerp

Congratulations! We recently bought my engagement ring in Antwerp in January. My boyfriend surprised me with the engagement and the trip away (I'm a very lucky girl). It's the diamond capital of Europe and there's lots of jewellers but it's recommended that you buy jewellery from the Antwerp Jewellers Association. My boyfriend and I were able to pick out the diamonds and I never would have gotten the same cut, clarity or colour of diamonds in Dublin with our budget. I also have very small fingers so it was cool to have a ring specially made for me. PM if your need any info - would have no problem recommending the guy.
13-03-2011, 22:52   #5
Side Show Bob
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlrove View Post
Hi, Im just wondering if there is a difference in price in engagement ring abroad compared to here in Ireland.Im new to this! For example,would a diamond ring be cheaper to get in New York than somewhere in Dublin? And if so,would it be worth buying one in New York? Thanks for any advice!
Don't worry about the cost of putting it on her, think about the cost of taking it off her!
Advertisement
14-03-2011, 17:20   #6
Karlrove

help

anyoine help??!!!
14-03-2011, 17:21   #7
ana_conda

I have heard that diamonds are cheaper in America, so it would worth at least shopping around whilst on your visit. Lets face it everywhere is better value than Ireland!

While were on the subject I noticed while visiting the rock of Gibraltar that the rings in the window were very good value! Not sure if it's because of special tax savings. It was only a passing glance but something to note for anyone thinking of shopping in Spain.
14-03-2011, 20:18   #8
gogul

Just bought a ring 2 weeks ago in Dubai for a much better price, and quality, than anywhere in Dublin, and myself and my fiancee got a week's holiday out of it too. After Dubai, the best place to go would be Antwerp. I would definitely advise against Dublin; they have a 70% (or close to) profit margin on all jewellery.
Thanks from:
14-03-2011, 21:23   #9
Karlrove

what about new york anyone? is antwerp really worth the trip,what type of savings?
Advertisement
14-03-2011, 22:45   #10
SuzieD

Engagement rings in Dublin

Hi,

Congratulations on deciding to get engaged! Buying an engagement is such an important decision that it's crucial to buy from someone you trust. You want to ensure that you get the best cut, clarity, carat and colour as well as an authentic, ethical stone. It is said that 80% of New York diamonds are treated. I also know couples who came home from NYC only to discover that their diamond was cracked.

The top expert on diamond rings in Dublin is Eoin McDonnell of Precious Diamonds.
http://precious.ie/

He'll create a bespoke ring for you - which isn't as expensive as you think. He's very personable so you've nothing to lose by giving him a call for a no-obligation chat

Best of luck with the proposal.
Suzie.
15-03-2011, 08:52   #11
gogul

My fiancee got a ring in New York a couple of years ago and was given a faulty certificate, so the only experience I know of was a bad one. I cant give you any details on the discounts that your could get in Antwerp, but it is known as the second best, after Dubai, place to buy diamonds (pratically all the diamonds in the world come through Antwerp), both for price and for quality.
There is a shop in Ireland, http://www.voltairediamonds.ie/ that will travel to Antwerp for you, with the 4 Cs that you are looking for and bring them back at a very good price (or so I'm told)!
I would definitely stress how important it is to research the 4 Cs and decide which you would like to go for before travelling anywhere; it could save you alot of time and money
15-03-2011, 10:48   #12
cormac21051983

We went to antwerp to buy my fiancee's ring and it was so worth it.

we only went to jewellers that were part of the Antwerp Diamond Jewellers association (ADJA) and and they were unreal, it is an education in diamonds and it really is worthwhile.

we bought hers off Joe Katz Jewellers and its unreal. we got it valued when we got home and we were told to insure it for over 2 and half times the value of what we paid....
its a lovely city too and only about an hour on a plane.
Thanks from:
15-03-2011, 10:50   #13
who the fug

Would you not have to pay duty and VAT on rings bought outside the EU
15-03-2011, 14:47   #14
Tracy Jacks

Antwerp

I got my ring in Antwerp in January. We bought my ring from Joe Katz too. He's really nice and there's no bs, tell him your budget and he will show you what you can get and spend lots of time showing you different diamonds - explain the 4 c's to you etc...
Thanks from:
15-03-2011, 19:04   #15
Karlrove

do they do emeralds etc too?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size