Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G&P Mk.23 MG (Stoner 63A LMG, Commando configuration)

Options
  • 08-03-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

Well this one has been a long time in the making - for me at least. I've lusted after a Stoner ever since I started playing airsoft back in 2007. I picked up one of these from listing in Peterborough, UK at the weekend for £499

The background on the Stoner weapon system is a fairly comprehensive read in its own right with several separate configurations possible all built around one truly modular weapon platform. In summary, designed by Eugene Stoner during the early 1960s and whilst abandoned in favour of the m16 by conventional forces, was revered by the US Navy SEALs. It was replaced by the m249 SAW in the 1980s, although rumour has it that the latter apparently only won out in trials due to having fresher barrels than the ageing Stoner guns with their worn barrels. The SEALs were also apparently extremely reluctant to surrender the Stoner for the m249 such was their regard for it.

For those wanting to read more; here's the wikipedia entry

Anyway, what we have here is the Stoner 63A LMG in a comando variant configuration. The real deal version of this airsoft gun used 5.56mm.

So, without further ado:

Packaging

Very well packaged, and for the money being paid it’s good to see an AEG being very securely packaged for any sort of transit purposes. The box itself is well labelled in the usual G&P markings, and is suitably deep in height. Upon opening the box, you can see that the AEG and box mag are encased in several layers of protective hard-foam, each layer cut to suit, rather than having some cardboard slots and bubble-wrap as I was half-expecting. It’s reminiscent of the custom laser-precision cut case foam set I had done for my Hardigg storm-case which cost a few hundred euro, so I’m at least appreciative of the effort and thought put into protecting the Stoner by G&P.

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8939

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8940

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8942

Setup

Instructions:

Whilst instructions are reasonably clear, it’s evident that they were an after-thought by G&P. You will find two pieces of A4 paper inside the box; one shows a fly-apart diagram of all the various parts for the Stoner, and the other is a colour double-sided instruction sheet on how to access and connect a battery, connect the magazine cage, operate the box mag, and where the safety feature is located. Simple and to the point, but considering the cost of the AEG, the instructions are a bit disappointing.

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8941

Battery:

The battery compartment is accessed by removing the two standard sized Allen bolts keeping the rubberised buttstock cover in place. Upon removing the cover, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Stoner has been wired up with a deans connector.

There is space in the compartment for 8.4v mini NiMh, and most ‘small-type’ 7.2v lipo batteries. Anything bigger will not fit, so that rules out 8.4v, 9.6v, or any of the 7.2v monsters that one finds available.

Assembly:

The box-magazine that comes with the Stoner requires a ‘cage’ be fitted to the underside of the Stoner and is fairly simple to attach. This cage also contains the covered feed-guide for 5.56 link. The cover serves as a handy way of hiding the BB feeder tube, although according to redwolf airsoft, you can apparently also add 5.56 link rounds for added effect.

The box-magazine consists of an outer plastic shell (like the real deal which was pioneered to reduce weight in the jungle environments of Vietnam), and a removable inner magazine which can be accessed by removing the slide-down cover on the outer shell. The magazine contains two access ports; the first is for a 9v battery, and the second for BBs with a capacity of 1200 BBs. There is a button on the magazine (beside the BB tube) which apparently auto-winds the magazine to load BBs into the feed tube prior to use.

It is unclear at the moment (as I need to buy a 9v battery) as to whether or not the 9v battery is needed for continuous operation of the box mag.

To load the box-magazine into the Stoner, you flip the feed-guide cover on the cage open, and then open the top-cover of the AEG (in similar fashion to an m60). The box-magazine is slid into the cage and the BB tube run up via the feed-guide, which is then closed to keep the tube in place and hide it from view. To feed BBs, the BB tube ‘plug’ connects (quite securely) on top of the BB feed nozzle that is exposed when the top-cover is lifted. Along with the BB feed nozzle, the hop dial is also exposed should the AEG hop need tuned for desired performance.

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8944

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8945
    AEG, Cage, and Box-Magazine

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8949
    AEG with Cage attached

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8950
    Ammo feed-guide open

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8951
    Top cover open exposing feed nozzle and hop adjustment wheel

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8952
    Box-magazine attached and awaiting connecting of BB feed-tube

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8953
    BB feed tube attached

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8954
    Feed tube hidden by ammo feed-guide cover

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8955
    AEG with box-magazine attached and ready to go

Features

Fire-selector:

There is a fire-selector mounted on the left side of the gun with two options: semi and auto. The safety on this gun is located in front of the trigger-guard and is a bar that slide back into the trigger-guard to make the gun safe. To remove safety, slide your finger into the trigger guard between trigger & bar and simply push forward extending the finger from curled to straight.

Sights:

There is a fixed three-prong sight on the barrel, and a flip-up/down sight on the rear of the top-cover. The rear sight has two sights available; an adjustable dialled sight much like one would find on an m60, m1918 BAR, and m79 grenade launcher, and a smaller, discreet fixed sight for quick acquisition of targets.

Cocking handle:

The cocking handle on a Stoner 63 is located as a small but sturdy bar seen protruding from the underside of the fore-grip and is purely cosmetic. It is spring-loaded but has no functional purpose.

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8948
    Underside of AEG, showing cocking handle guide-trench on foregrip

Trademarks:

As expected from a G&P gun, trades are present. The trades on the AEG itself are located on the underside where the cage clips in on top of. There is a Stoner emblem, and the following text;
    Stoner 63.223 cal 00285
    MFG by Cadillac Gauge Company
    Warren, Mich. USA Pat. Pending

The box-magazine shell also contains trade markings, which read:
    Stoner 63A
    5.56 MM-100 rounds linked
    Part No.2610 Pat. Pending
    MFG by Cadillac Gauge Co.
    Warren, Michigan, U.S.A.

Performance

This is a light (literally) support gun, weighing in at roughly 4.6kg and not much longer than an m4 or an L85. The material make-up is a mixture of metal and plastic (just like the real thing).

I've not had a chance to fire it yet (which is absolute torture!) and will have to wait for about a week before I can take it out for a skirmish and see how the v2 gearbox performs in a support gun role. I have a battery charging as I write this (as I had to go solder a tamiya to deans adapter to use the charger) so I can give the AEG a test fire and giggle away to myself. When I pick up a 9v battery, I'll have a go at chrono'ing and will post on this review.

And some eye-candy to finish with:

picture.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=8916

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Chrono:

The AEG is putting out between 345-350 with .2g, with a notably 'angry' rate of fire.

Update on box-magazine:

The 9v battery is used in two ways; the first being by using the small button opposite the feed tube to auto-wind prior to first use of the AEG. The second is auto-detecting of when to wind the magazine so that there are always BBs ready in the tube. Whilst the gun is firing, the 9v battery is not used to wind. But once firing has stopped, the box-magazine determines if auto-winding is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I took the Stoner out for its first skirmish yesterday (Sat. 19th March 2011) at Brit-Tac's Woodland site in Barnsley, South Yorkshire for a themed milsim game.

The game had three factions; Drug cartel, UK forces (Yorkshire Regiment) assisted by Stonewall PMC. Between drug interdiction across country borders, conducting border observation, raiding drug plants, and attempting to locate, negotiate, and possibly rescue by way of force a British oil worker who had been kidnapped, there were plenty of objectives to keep all three factions busy for the day.

I played as one of the four Stonewall PMC operators and with a limit of one support-gunner, that was me & the Stoner. Given that we [Stonewall] spent much of the day moving about quietly and crawling to within metres of enemy positions undetected the Stoner really came into its own between its light weight and shorter length than one would expect from a support gun. Not once did it ever feel like it got in the way or felt cumbersome.

The Stoner has a G&P m120 motor powering it, so the rate of fire is both impressive and the gun noisy. I ran with .25g Bioval BBs, and the box-magazine fed just fine and consistent. Range was also good although I shall need to adjust the hop as at longer distances there was an upwards arc.

In summary; the gun performed well with no technical issues showing and its short size and light weight allowed for greater manoeuvrability and swifter movement than about any other support gun that one might find on the field of airsoft.

Advertisement