Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-05-2011, 14:29   #46
Wolverine_1999

Yes this info has really helped! A lot of gangsters (no pun intended) trying to sell cars in (coincidently where I am) Limerick.

I've looked at about 6 cars now, the last turning out to be a crash repair! Beware of UK imports!

I'm getting sick of it now to be honest

Another point I'd like to add - beware of the title "Lady owner", I've found no advantages compared to car owned by men and most cars not to have been serviced in well over 2 years, let alone a service history.

Just be as scrupilious as with a "male owned" car and don't let it lead you into a false sense of security.

Last edited by Wolverine_1999; 05-05-2011 at 14:32.
Advertisement
08-05-2011, 22:36   #47
rebel.ranter

Another tip: If the car has air conditioning/climate control you need to check that it is functioning correctly. To do this start the car if not already running, set the temperature to the lowest setting & wait a few minutes for it to blow ice cold. It might actually be better to do this on the test drive. If it doesn't blow cold it could mean a re-gas of the system or something much more expensive.

Another Tip:
Have a look at the tyres for two things;
1. Are the tyres fitted a good recognized brand, Bridgestone, Goodyear, Michelin, Continental, etc. If there are cheapo tyres in the car it could raise questions on what other items were slumped on.
2. Have a look at the tyre thread, for two reasons:
a) Is there a decent amount of thread left? Tyres approaching the wear indicator will need replacing & you can use this in your bargaining on price
b) Check that the thread wear is even across the width of the tyre, if a tyre is worn badly on one side but fine on another it could mean wheel alignment needs to be done or wiser still that there is some further suspension work needing to be done. It could be the result of wear & tear on suspension or accident damage. Either way work & further investigation would be needed.
Another tip:
Airbag light, make sure this illuminates when you turn on the ignition & also goes out when the car is started. Just make sure it goes out at a different time to the oil light. I've seen where guys just hooked up the bulb to the oil light bulb because there was an expensive problem with a seat occupancy sensor.
Another tip:
Most cars come with 2 keys, sometimes more. Always ask how many keys the seller has. The replacement keys, especially the ones with a built in remote control can be expensive (€130-€160)

Finally don't be blinded by the car, as in get caught up in the moment, this has happened to me & sometimes it is good to have some overly cautious friend with you when viewing.
Also if you are leaving a deposit on a car be aware that in some cases this is not refundable, make sure you check up front about this (I forgot to ask this myself recently ).
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2011, 12:58   #48
gustavo

Complete noob question - Would the garages be as open to bargaining as in the OP I think refers more to private selling?
10-05-2011, 20:39   #49
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
Complete noob question - Would the garages be as open to bargaining as in the OP I think refers more to private selling?
Yes, yes they would. Same goes for private as for dealers, just don't be overly cocky or ignorant! Try suss them out and see what they're best or lowest price would be, and then work off that. Like if they said their best was 13,000, don't offer 10,000!

When all the bargaining is done then try get a tank of fuel (may be dropped down to 20 quid worth depending on how hard you intially bargained.)
(2) thanks from:
10-05-2011, 20:42   #50
higginsshane70

I've got to admit that i learned a lot of new things through this post and i feel much more wise then before.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2011, 20:45   #51
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginsshane70 View Post
I've got to admit that i learned a lot of new things through this post and i feel much more wise then before.
Good to know! Thanks
11-05-2011, 01:49   #52
jkp

another one here to thank limerick man and all others for the advice posted here.
just bought my first car tonight
and the info in the motors forum really helped me with my search, this thread particularly helped me avoid the first 10 sellers or so i rang...
now to get reading my new(old) owners manual!
11-05-2011, 14:39   #53
jayhassett89

great post
12-05-2011, 00:56   #54
allnighter

Great Post

Thanks for the advice LM. I have only been looking at cars from dealers so far. But I think I will be branching out into the private sellers soon. Awesome post!
Advertisement
16-05-2011, 15:35   #55
freddothefrog

Thanks for taking the time to write this, a great help!
18-05-2011, 11:03   #56
gustavo

I presume if you're looking at a car with a dealer and the NCT is due that it's reasonable to expect them to put it through the NCT for you without any change in the asking price ?
18-05-2011, 11:41   #57
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
I presume if you're looking at a car with a dealer and the NCT is due that it's reasonable to expect them to put it through the NCT for you without any change in the asking price ?
Absolutely, it shouldn't even be a cause for concern.
Thanks from:
21-05-2011, 21:16   #58
jonosam

Fantastic amount of information here, well done Limerick Man
23-05-2011, 00:35   #59
koura

Great Post.
Is there any free reg check
23-05-2011, 11:06   #60
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by koura View Post
Great Post.
Is there any free reg check
There was a kinda free check with mywheels.ie before, but they upped their price to €7, although from what I've heard it's not a worthwhile check.

Motorcheck.ie or cartell.ie and the ones I would use personally.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion