Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your phone for these malicious apps!!

Options
  • 02-03-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭

Hey guys , Gizmodo has released a list of android applications that have been confirmed malicious.

The apps were designed to get root access to the user's device, collect data, and download additional code.

If you have any of the following apps installed on your phone , uninstall them now !! :eek:

Falling Down
    Super Guitar Solo
    Super History Eraser
    Photo Editor
    Super Ringtone Maker
    Super Sex Positions
    Hot Sexy Videos
    Chess
    下坠滚球_Falldown
    Hilton Sex Sound
    Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    Falling Ball Dodge
    Scientific Calculator
    Dice Roller
    躲避弹球
    Advanced Currency Converter
    APP Uninstaller
    几何战机_PewPew
    Funny Paint
    Spider Man
    蜘蛛侠

These apps are all created by a company called Myournet. The scary thing is i downloaded falling down, but i quickly uninstalled it after realising it was crap(no wonder).

http://gizmodo.com/#!5774463/here-are-the-21-malicious-apps-google-pulled-from-the-android-market

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Woo don't have any of them. Got rid of pew pew almost straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its not the official PewPew. Its a repacked rip off like most of them on that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

D'oh, was looking forward to downloading Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls, sounds like a classy app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Same here.
    I downloaded that falling down game because I'd had a similar app on the ipod. But once i played it i uninstalled it straight away.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I wonder if you have the app downloaded a while will it be ok?
    As far as i'm aware the apps were hacked and put back on the market.

Anyway there are more that the list above:

Full list of infected applications published by “Kingmall2010″:

* Bowling Time
    * Advanced Barcode Scanner
    * Supre Bluetooth Transfer
    * Task Killer Pro
    * Music Box
    * Sexy Girls: Japanese
    * Sexy Legs
    * Advanced File Manager
    * Magic Strobe Light
    * 致命绝色美腿
    * 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
    * 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
    * 软件强力卸载
    * Advanced App to SD
    * Super Stopwatch & Timer
    * Advanced Compass Leveler
    * Best password safe
    * 掷骰子
    * 多彩绘画

Full list of infected apps under the developer name “we20090202″:

* Finger Race
    * Piano
    * Bubble Shoot
    * Advanced Sound Manager
    * Magic Hypnotic Spiral
    * Funny Face
    * Color Blindness Test
    * Tie a Tie
    * Quick Notes
    * Basketball Shot Now
    * Quick Delete Contacts
    * Omok Five in a Row
    * Super Sexy Ringtones
    * 大家来找茬
    * 桌上曲棍球

* 投篮高手

http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/03/security-alert-malware-found-in-official-android-market-droiddream/

• Advertisement

Phew just checked and the app i downloaded wasn't the hacked, ripped of one but the original one, Thank God :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Anyone who installed them needs to read this http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/01/the-mother-of-all-android-malware-has-arrived-stolen-apps-released-to-the-market-that-root-your-phone-steal-your-data-and-open-backdoor/
    I asked our resident hacker to take a look at the code himself, and he’s verified it does indeed root the user’s device via rageagainstthecage or exploid. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg: it does more than just yank IMEI and IMSI. There’s another APK hidden inside the code, and it steals nearly everything it can: product ID, model, partner (provider?), language, country, and userID. But that’s all child’s play; the true pièce de résistance is that it has the ability to download more code. In other words, there’s no way to know what the app does after it’s installed, and the possibilities are nearly endless.

Justin pinged a contact at Google to bring the issue to their attention. In the time I’ve proofed this post, they’ve already checked the apps and are planning on pulling them from the Market [Update: holy cheeseballs, they've been pulled already! Took less than 5 minutes from first contact to pull!], as well as remotely removing them from user’s devices. Unfortunately, that doesn’t remove any code that’s already been backdoored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It would be good if, once Google pull a dodgy application, the next time you connect, as part of checking for updates the market checks to see if you have installed any of the recently pulled applications, it would save having to manually go through the list checking yourself.

Who knows maybe it works like that already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Super Sex Positions
    Hot Sexy Videos
    Hilton Sex Sound
    Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    Super History Eraser

:mad:

Id rather keep these ones thanks. ill uninstall the rest though. besides, my phone is already rooted:cool::cool:

^^Haha Sure why not

For everyone else here is an app that comes recommended by Gizmodo.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5775342/how-to-protect-your-android-against-more-than-50-malware-apps

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout&feature=search_result

It's called Lookout and it scans for phone for any applications that are doing any thing they shouldn't be doing , it also provides a backup service and a feature that allows you to track your phone if it's lost/stolen.

Going by the comments it's pretty amazing though not happy with the huge amount of permissions it needs :confused:

• Advertisement

Phew, was worried as I had installed Photo Editor but Lookout is telling me phone is clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Kenno90 wrote: »
    ^^Haha Sure why not

For everyone else here is an app that comes recommended by Gizmodo.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5775342/how-to-protect-your-android-against-more-than-50-malware-apps

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lookout&feature=search_result

It's called Lookout and it scans for phone for any applications that are doing any thing they shouldn't be doing , it also provides a backup service and a feature that allows you to track your phone if it's lost/stolen.

Going by the comments it's pretty amazing though not happy with the huge amount of permissions it needs :confused:

Was going to download this from Market until I seen the first four user reviews...not very inspiring...:confused:

Was going to download this from Market until I seen the first four user reviews...not very inspiring...:confused:

Ye your right , they weren't there yesterday but the vast majority of them are positive. TBH i downloaded it , scanned my phone and then uninstalled it.
    I'm just a user ;)

Advertisement