Balayage for really dark hair - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-02-2011, 16:40   #1
Anon85

Balayage for really dark hair

Hi,

Getting some balayage highlites put in my hair on Saturday in Zeba on South William St.! (hope they're good, the last time I did them was in Style Club but the stylist who did them has unforunately gone on Maternity leave - typical. She was brilliant). Had them done before a couple of months ao and they really need to be touched up.

I'm really dark and so is my hair so I'm looking for something quite subtle that won't go too light after a couple of washes (as I tend to look very washed out with light hair).

Anyone able to find any celeb pics of really dark hair with balayage/ombre? If so please let me know as I'm stumped to find the look I'm going for!

Much appreciated
Advertisement
25-02-2011, 21:54   #2
Tayla

(2) thanks from:
25-02-2011, 22:27   #3
moco

I've never heard of this but the pictures look lovely! How do the hairdressers do it?
25-02-2011, 22:48   #4
scissors

hi, its a simple free style technique that allows stylist more freedom to colour hair to suit the hair cut and the clients face shape, it has been about a long time but getting more popular now clients are looking for easy to maintain highlights and more sunkissed affect....results are lovely but not alot of salons do it unfortunatly
25-02-2011, 23:06   #5
moco

Thanks! I'm in the uk and haven't heard of anyone over here talking about it. This brings me into dangerous territory of thinking 'hmm, wonder if I could do a DIY job on myself?' lol
Advertisement
25-02-2011, 23:12   #6
unepetite

I thought balayage was a more natural method of all-over highlight application? Not being smart, clueless with hair things, was reading something about it in a magazine recently (albeit for blondes). Are those pictures not examples of dip-dyeing? Which I think looks amazingly cool anyway. Whatever it is, result is lovely.
25-02-2011, 23:39   #7
Anon85

Thanks so much, Tayla! Really appreciate it.

Camilla Alves (lady in the shades) is my favourite I think. They're all lovely. I'll be sure to take these with me to the salon tomorrow :-) Thinking I'll be going more copper than blonde at the ends. I'm not rock and roll enough to pull off Ashley Simpson's hair :-)

Anyone enquiring about where to get it done - Style Club on South William Street do it, it's where I had it done originally but I'm heading back to Zeba tomorrow (as I heard the colour tech there does it too). Bit of a shot in the dark but we'll see how I get on tomorrow.

It's an excellent method of highliting your hair as you can leave them gorw out for ages and they still look great. They're really low maintenence. I'll be avoiding the foil highlites as much as possible!
25-02-2011, 23:46   #8
moco

i love Jessica Biel's
Thanks from:
26-02-2011, 00:45   #9
Tayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by unepetite View Post
I thought balayage was a more natural method of all-over highlight application? Not being smart, clueless with hair things, was reading something about it in a magazine recently (albeit for blondes). Are those pictures not examples of dip-dyeing? Which I think looks amazingly cool anyway. Whatever it is, result is lovely.

Sorry for the confusion, Those pics are examples of ombre hair, the OP mentioned it in her post, It's a bit more extreme than the balayage which is much softer!
Advertisement
26-02-2011, 00:51   #10
Tayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon85 View Post
Thanks so much, Tayla! Really appreciate it.

Camilla Alves (lady in the shades) is my favourite I think. They're all lovely. I'll be sure to take these with me to the salon tomorrow :-) Thinking I'll be going more copper than blonde at the ends. I'm not rock and roll enough to pull off Ashley Simpson's hair :-)

Anyone enquiring about where to get it done - Style Club on South William Street do it, it's where I had it done originally but I'm heading back to Zeba tomorrow (as I heard the colour tech there does it too). Bit of a shot in the dark but we'll see how I get on tomorrow.

It's an excellent method of highliting your hair as you can leave them gorw out for ages and they still look great. They're really low maintenence. I'll be avoiding the foil highlites as much as possible!
Let me know how you get on, i've been looking at these kind of styles lately thinking about getting it done, I've been dying my hair black for years and I recently used colour b4 which was fab and dyed it auburn and missed the black too much so dyed it again after a week but if I got something like this it could be the best of both worlds for me keeping the black around my face but a lighter colour on the bottom!
26-02-2011, 13:14   #11
NoDice

I love the exact colouring of Vanessa Hudgens. Is this something I can just walk into a salon and ask for? I have dark brown hair and dying to do something with it to brighten it up but hate the look of highlites. The balayage sounds perfect!
27-02-2011, 22:30   #12
clare82

result?

so, anon 85, how did you get on? ive been dying my hair for yrs but always a home job and im more than tired of the all over look, got highlights before xmas and wasnt too keen on it...felt very regular and made up or something but i love this balayge thing..think its exactly what im looking for. how did you get on with yours? any pics? would you mind telling me how much it cost as i cant find a price list on the site?
28-02-2011, 10:57   #13
Anon85

Hi all,

Just to let you know that I am NOT happy with the results if my hair

Unforutunately they look near enough the same as regular highlites. Saying that, it doesn't look bad it's just not what I wanted and certainly not what was in the photos. I'm very frustrated as I really wanted to avoid getting regular highlites done in my hair. She did the balayage technique as best as she could but I don't think she did it right. All in all I wouldn't recomment Zeba for balayage. I'm really dark and these highlites are just making me look washed out, I wanted more colour at the ends more so than the top and it seems to have gone the opposite way. It's just frustrating when you show a stylist pictures and explain exactly what you want them to do and they just don't do it! I don't want to go back to the same salon to fix it as I don't trust them so as a result I have now booked in with Dylan Bradshaw on South William St. (seem to be doing the rounds of the salons there) as I saw a sales assistant in one of the shops on Grafton street with perfect Ombre/Balayage hair! and when I asked her who did it she said DB so I'm going to the top colourist there to have a look at my hair and hopefully she'll be able to fix it and move it towards what was in the photos. It may be something that'll take more than one go unfortunately.

Quite upset as I'm quite the perfectionist when it comes to my hair and I feel I may just be doing more damage than good to it but I can't stand to look at the colour that's in it at the moment

Off-hand if ANYONE knows somewhere else they can recommend that does this technique please do let me know!

Will post pics up this weekend.

Wish me luck!
28-02-2011, 19:40   #14
scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by unepetite View Post
your right it is a highlighting technique...not strictly for blondes ,but is defo a look suited to blonde tones ,for dark hair it would depend on hair condition and colour history the trick is to lightly touch root and then apply heavier towards the ends using a paddle ,this way hair is darker at root section but gets gradually lighter where the colour gets applied heavier , there is no heat from foils or wraps so colour lifts differently than normal techniques where foils etc are used..its lovely when done well
28-02-2011, 21:05   #15
random10

i showed this to my boyfriend and he said it looks like highlights grown out but i like this look

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion