Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-02-2011, 09:23   #1
Melendez

Village Cafe

Despite having 6 months to use the voucher, I felt a bit peckish last night and have used it already.

The place was empty when I arrived, not surprising on a wet Tuesday night at 6.30. We were warmly greeted by the waiter(manager?) and had our choice of tables.

My starter was an attempt at an elegant salad of king prawns. The 4 prawns were a bit swamped in a big salad which would have been better had the avocado been ripe. Other half's fish cake starter consisted of two big roundies, heavyish on potato but enough fish to come through. Quite good. It would have made a substantial main course.

Main courses were very successful. For me, rack of lamb. None of this trimming-off-the-fat-to-beautify-it business, you got the whole chop with the fatty layer on the outside, and tastier for it, interesting smoked bacony new potatoes and and veg mix to accompany it. The chicken main course was similar style and equally enjoyed.

Panna cotta was another generous portion and delicous, the apple pie was good also.

Nice bottle of pinot grigio, plus an extra, generously poured, glass of red (corbiere) with the lamb would indicate the short wine list is well priced and well chosen.

This is not michelin star fancy food like you see on the tele - This, and I mean it is the best possible way, is good honest home cooking, or how some might like to be able to cook at home, priced very competitively for what it is. The sparkling water, espresso, and extra glass of wine we got, cost sod all - it's all too common for restaurants to pile on the price for little extras like water and coffee which help the meal and you don't really consider the cost when ordering. Honesty in pricing as well as in cooking. Pub prices in a much nicer environment.

Well done to them, I hope all you other boardsdeals voucher buyers appreciate the place as much as I did and it works out a successful campaign for the restaurant.

They have a nice outside seating area that will be lovely during our usual warm balmy summer evenings.

If I was to make an amateurish suggestion it would be to make their starter selection more homely and tasty - like nice in house cooked quiches, tarts, terrines, pates, chicken livers on toast etc rather than salady things. For weekends at least maybe to stick on a blockbuster 4-week dry-aged T-Bone as a special or the best they can manage for under €30 (which I imagine would go a long way in The Village, given their other prices, voucher holders could pay a premium since I've already used mine!) and a good catch of the day special, just maybe to have the option to turn a weekend night out into a real foodie experience as opposed to providing a great feed.
(3) thanks from:
25-02-2011, 12:33   #2
dolly14

hi i used up my voucher last night and from arriving in the door to leaving it was a really good experience the staff were very friendly and helpful the food was perfect from starter to dessert and wine was lovely nothing on the menu was off limits would visit again even without a voucher great night thanks
Thanks from:
27-02-2011, 01:48   #3
mad m

My wife and I went tonight, my wife has been before this boards deal so I hoped I was in for a treat. In fact it was better than expected. The staff were very professional when we went, the place was empty because we booked for six o clock, we were treated with the utmost courtesy.

The whole experience was great, the food, the wine, the desert, the coffee. We got a run down on the wine list as what to pick from the manager(thanks btw). All I heard was from a few in there was ( I have a boards deal)...

All I can is, even without a boards deal I will be definitly be going back, they do a great deal, a three course meal for 20.95 euro each, which is a great deal also....

Its a gem of a place that you could easily walk by, but for me I won't pass it in future...

Thanks to Village Cafe and Boards Deals for a great night...

Last edited by mad m; 27-02-2011 at 02:07.
Thanks from:
02-03-2011, 11:01   #4
spank_inferno
Closed Account

My better half & I used this deal last night.... in a word, Terrific!

The restaurant is located next to the Travelodge hotel on Rathmines road.
There is a small patio area with seating outside.

Inside was warm (pot bellied stove giving lovely warmth)

We almost felt bad asking for the most expensive items on the menu, though it didnt stop us! The wife especially loved the garlic prawns starter, and the brownie desert also deserves mention.
This was washed down with a very delicious (and expensive ) Prosecco.

I also want to give a special mention to the service.
Staff were clued into the deal from the start, and right through our visit the service could not be faulted.

The value offered by this deal simply cannot be beat because of the quality of food & service given, no groupon short-cuts taken here.

As I said, really terrific.
So, please Niamh, get this deal again!
02-03-2011, 15:58   #5
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Employee

Great to hear such good and consistent feedback on this deal, well done Village Cafe

Thanks spank_inferno
06-03-2011, 18:23   #6
g0g

Just thought I'd say thanks boards for sorting this deal out! My wife and myself used our voucher last night and I could not speak more positively about the experience! The food was absolutely delicious from start to finish. Highly recommend the pate starter and brownie desert! Got the feeling the places was full of voucher-users as every table around us was having their three courses and bottle of wine. Staff were lovely and even kindly let us take away the bottle as I was driving and my wife is pregnant.
Thanks from:
11-04-2011, 12:31   #7
Crybabygeeks

Village Cafe- Will definitly be back!!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I used the voucher on Friday night (8th April) and really enjoyed the Village Cafe. The food (while a little on the slow side to arrive) was absolutely fantastic. We eat out a lot and have tried a lot of different places and this is definitly up there regarding quality and taste. The bottle of wine we had was also lovely.

We will definitly be back... thanks BoardsDeals for great value! I'd strongly recommend another voucher for this restaurant...
Thanks from:
08-08-2011, 21:54   #8
mcdonut

excellent

My wife and I had dinner here last friday.It was excellent,great food,great service and in a really good location.We will return.
Thanks from:
11-08-2011, 20:47   #9
spockety

Mod: DCU
Send a message via Yahoo to spockety
Myself and the missus went on Saturday..

The food is excellent. So often living in Ireland/Dublin you just expect everything everywhere you go to be substandard rubbish. The Village Cafe bucks that, and makes you realise there are people out there running businesses who actually give a s**t about standards.

Our starters were the star of the show. I had the smoked salmon roulade, and the wife had the fig topped bruschetta. Both were amazing it has to be said. I had the chicken for main and herself the Steak.. while not outstanding like the starters the standard was still very high. The desserts were also delicious, apple pie for myself and I don't remember what the missus had as I got lost in my apple pie and tea

My only worry is that it was not very busy at all. I'd say only 8 tables or so served from 8-10 when we were there, which looked very low to me for a Saturday night. I really hope that that was unusual for them, as this place deserves to stay open and do well.

They have an early bird offer which is from the same menu, 17 quid for 2 courses or 21 euro for 3. We will definitely be back.

Incidentally, no issues with the boards deals voucher, booking was taken no problem, no quibbles, just straight up as per the voucher 3 courses each and a bottle off wine. Great deal.
Thanks from:
24-08-2011, 00:43   #10
unkel
Seņor Fring

Quote:
Originally Posted by spockety View Post
Incidentally, no issues with the boards deals voucher, booking was taken no problem, no quibbles, just straight up as per the voucher 3 courses each and a bottle off wine. Great deal.
+1

Same here

That said, I've never had a rack of lamb served as 3 separate chops. And might I say they were the biggest lamb chops in the world. If the people in this country weren't ridiculously litigious, I would have called them mutton
30-10-2011, 21:03   #11
spockety

Mod: DCU
Send a message via Yahoo to spockety
Visit #2

When the 2nd deal with The Village came up, we nabbed it pronto.

Went there last night and took friends along this time.

Top notch again. Was a lot busier than last time as there was a very large birthday on, but the waiting staff managed to hold the fort and keep the non-birthday tables happy..

Massive portions again, particularly the starters, and the mains were great again. Missus had the lamb chops, myself and my mate the swordfish special, and his missus had the prawn tagliatelle.

Can't fault this place yet, we would have gone back and paid full whack by the end of the year if it wasn't for that 2nd boards deal.

Will be back, deal or not.
Thanks from:
16-12-2011, 18:50   #12
--LOS--
=^.^=

Do you think it would be possible to have a voucher extended, thought it was expiring for another while but just checked it today and I see it had to be used by 6th December :/
18-12-2011, 14:32   #13
Tar.Aldarion
/flails limbs

Send a message via AIM to Tar.Aldarion
Also wondering this about this one, the date I planned to use it turns out to be after teh expiry date, anybody tried it with them after expiry?
19-12-2011, 12:17   #14
Boards.ie: Niamh
Boards.ie Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by --LOS-- View Post
Do you think it would be possible to have a voucher extended, thought it was expiring for another while but just checked it today and I see it had to be used by 6th December :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
Also wondering this about this one, the date I planned to use it turns out to be after teh expiry date, anybody tried it with them after expiry?
Unfortunately we can't extend the vouchers at Boards Deals folks, you will need to contact Village Café to ask if they will accept a voucher after its expiry date or not.
22-12-2011, 18:43   #15
Terppa

Was told ok to redeem later - declined..

I called in today with the idea of trying to book a table. I knew it would be a long shot, since it is Christmas week, and the Boards deal voucher had expired quite a while ago. I had called in every week though. This very nice and polite waitress had told me each week, it is ok to get in Tue -Thu on following week, since I have been quite a lot ill, lately. Today, I would have understood an apology and being told, that the restaurant is full. Maybe the owner is under loads of pressure, but I have hardly ever been receiving such a bad customer service. I was called many things, and when I was trying to explain what I have been told about the possibility to redeem the voucher, and naturally started asking about my rights here, as paying customer, he started asking why I am so aggressive.. He did not also believe, that I had been told this, which is very strange. My mistake is, that I did not take up the name of this nice lady, who was being so helpful with me.

Overall, it was very weird discussion, and ended in big disappointment. I have heard many good things about the place, but will not go and find out. It is not only about good food, it is always also about customer service, and I tend to spend my money somewhere, where I feel comfortable, and am treated respectfully.

I wish this business best of luck, but during hard times like this, the real value lies with returning customers and reputation. I will be doing my part telling how I was treated.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion