Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 7 - Flourless chocolate cake

Options
  • 20-02-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I was having friends over one night and wanted to make a sweet treat of sorts, but it had to be gluten-free as there was a coeliac attending. I stumbled upon this recipe and it has become a firm favourite in my house ever since. It's very very chocolatey without being overly sweet, and unlike wheat cakes it's almost better the next day. Serve on it's own or with a lovely big dollop of whipped cream.

26.jpg

Ingredients:

10.5oz (three large bars) dark chocolate (get good quality 70% cocoa stuff)
    5oz butter
    6 eggs
    2oz caster sugar

1.jpg

Turn on the oven to 160 degrees if using a fan oven; 180 if conventional. Grease and line a springform baking tin.

2.jpg

Break up the chocolate into squares and chuck it into a large bowl.

3.jpg

Melt the chocolate gently. I use the microwave for convenience. Melt until its almost totally liquid and then add in the chopped butter.

4.jpg

Zap it in the microwave again to melt the butter and then mix together well until smooth and glossy.

5.jpg

Set the chocolate mixture aside to cool.

Get two more mixing bowls; a large one and a smaller one. Separate the eggs and put the whites in the large bowl. I find the easiest way to separate eggs is to crack open the egg as follows:

6.jpg

And then chuck the yolk into your hand and let the whites drain through your fingers.

7.jpg

Add 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar into the egg yolks and beat well with an electric mixer.

9.jpg

Keep going for a few minutes until the mixture turns really pale and thick like this:

10.jpg

Pour this mixture into the cooled chocolate and mix well.

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Clean the paddles of your electric beater really well and get started on the egg whites. Beat them until soft peaks form; add in the remaining sugar and beat for another minute.

16.jpg

Using a metal spoon, put one-third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold in really gently. Be patient with this, it's worth it.

17.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Fold until it looks like this:

18.jpg

Then add in the rest of the egg whites.

19.jpg

Take your time and deflate the eggs as little as possible. Fold until completely incorporated.

20.jpg

Transfer to the baking tin and smooth out the top.

21.jpg

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the top of the cake has cracked slightly. Don't bother testing it with a skewer as the centre of the cake will still be quite gooey when it's cooked.

22.jpg

Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes and then turn it out. Remove the greaseproof paper carefully from the underside and leave on a wire tray.

23.jpg

I couldn't resist cutting a slice when the cake was still hot; it was delicious.

24.jpg

When it's fully cooled, dust with icing sugar and serve on your fanciest plate.

25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yum! Looks gorgeous :-) I've started my diet this week though grrr :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

I've started my diet this week though grrr :-(

Me too, yet again... Will definitely give this a try soon though, will do nicely for a birthday coming up, and then I'll be less at risk of eating most of it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Oh that looks amazing :D

Your step by step picture guide makes it look so easy, I can't wait to make it :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

might give this ago at the weekend, if i get the chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Mmmmmm looks good!!!! Looking forward to trying this one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I made this yesterday. Forgot to take pics though. It's gorgeous, and really easy to make. Thanks for the recipe will definitely make it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Made this for a family dinner and it was loved by everyone. My momma wanted the recipe. She NEVER eats desert so that's a compliment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I made this at the weekend, my first time making a flourless cake like this. I loved the really dark choc flavour, a nice change from sweeter 'fudge' type cakes. Thanks for the recipe OP! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=149858&stc=1&d=1298897730

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

I made this yesterday with a couple of changes, I used 2 bars of dark Green & Blacks and 1 bar of the Maya (orange flavoured one), also added some orange zest and a packet of chopped walnuts. It was DELICIOUS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this last week for OH's birthday served it with coffee/baileys cream.
    Its very luscious. Will deffo try it with maya gold (my fav green and blacks)
    thanks OP

30t5hqu.jpg

2qkrmdv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

How many servings is in this cake?

As in my house, I am the only person who eats chocolate cake so don't want a huge cake lol :D

Also, how many Green & Blacks chocolate bars (200g) would I need?

Thanks!

How many servings is in this cake?

As in my house, I am the only person who eats chocolate cake so don't want a huge cake lol :D

Also, how many Green & Blacks chocolate bars (200g) would I need?

Thanks!

You need 300g chocolate which should be 3 large bars.

The cake would serve 8 - 12 depending on your audience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Looks fab, might make it tonight. Funny thing is though, I make a cake just like this but with flour, and it is everyone's favourite cake, tastes much better after about 2 days which is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Spadina wrote: »
    Looks fab, might make it tonight. Funny thing is though, I make a cake just like this but with flour, and it is everyone's favourite cake, tastes much better after about 2 days which is brilliant!

Hahaha! Oh sorry, just the thought of this cake lasting for more than two days in my house makes me laugh :D I'll have to hide a slice next time to see ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

This is on the oven now, the mixture looked so good, I could've eaten it without baking (though maybe not such a good idea with the raw eggs). Looking forward to tasting the finished product - will have to wait until tonight and it's going to be tough!!
    Thanks so much for the pictures, I would've thought my egg-whisking was going wrong if I hadn't had the pictures for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Malari wrote: »
    Hahaha! Oh sorry, just the thought of this cake lasting for more than two days in my house makes me laugh :D I'll have to hide a slice next time to see ;)

Nah it wouldn't last that long with me either, but it's great for using with detailed novelty cakes, I know it won't go off in the time it takes to do the cake :)

Susie_Q wrote: »
    You need 300g chocolate which should be 3 large bars.

The cake would serve 8 - 12 depending on your audience!
    Thanks for your help.:)

Thanks for your help.:)

I should also have said that it's a very easy recipe to simply cut in half so once you have a smaller baking tin (perhaps a loaf tin?) then you could easily make a smaller version.

Also I only made this cake last week and I already really really want to make it again! Must... resist... cake!

Susie_Q wrote: »
    I should also have said that it's a very easy recipe to simply cut in half so once you have a smaller baking tin (perhaps a loaf tin?) then you could easily make a smaller version.

Also I only made this cake last week and I already really really want to make it again! Must... resist... cake!
    Yeah I have a loaf tin, also have a round 7" baking tin, which is similar to the round tin you used in the photos.

Hopefully gonna make this at the weekend :D

• Advertisement

Another question, does the butter have to be unsalted or is normal butter ok to use?

I have a tiny bit of unsalted butter, about less than 1/4 of a packet :(:o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made it over the weekend. Had to move to a bigger tin as our round ones were too small. It is very strong, but also enjoyable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made this yesterday. I used 200g dark chocolate and 100g milk chocolate because I'm not a huge dark chocolate fan. For some reason, I thought it would be quite dense and heavy, but the texture of mine was extremely light and fluffy - almost like a mousse! Is that how it's supposed to be? It was delicious in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The mother is coming over for a cup of tea in about a half hour, so I whipped this up :D

DSCN3947.jpg

Put the rind and juice of an orange into it too, it's delicious!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks OP, this was devoured. we served it with ice cream.

this will definitely be made again:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This looks divine!!!

Cheers for the clear instructions op

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

9c8a8ebc.jpg

Made this on Monday.
    Gone in about 5 mins!!
    Family demolished it.
    Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm thinking about making this for my birthday next week. It looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Not a huge fan of baking but gave this a go today as it seemed to be really simple to make.

Ready for the oven:
    CIMG6863.jpg

After the oven:
    CIMG6864.jpg

With icing sugar and chocolate chips added:
    CIMG6868.jpg

Great simple recipe, only downside-the cake is a bit rich for me (I used 81% cocoa chocolate bars and I'm not a fan of dark chocolate anyway but it's still nice enough.

Could this be made the same way with normal milk chocolate or white chocolate even or does it need to be dark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Took me a few seconds to work out the last pic. It looks like it's covered in tinfoil! :o;)

Advertisement