Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Playstation 1 Modchip Install

Options
  • 19-02-2011 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Another brief log, this time dealing with the installation of a modchip, which bypasses the region restrictions allowing import games to run, amongst other things.

The PSone console, this is different to the Playstation 1, in that it's a slimmer, cut down version with added security. This is o1s1n's console, and has the optional LCD attachment, which is a cracking little thing.

190brc.jpg

Under the hood

2u55h8y.jpg

Shielding removed, & first wire soldered into place. Most of the points are easy to solder to. However there are two or three points that you must solder wire onto the side of a tiny ceramic resistor. In this case, a low wattage iron is essential.

v3ndxx.jpg

The remainder of the wires soldered. Very messy, but time to test the install & then clean things up afterwards.

2a0gric.jpg

Shielding back in place, & wiring tidied up

1414804.jpg

Test

2affyth.jpg

Reassembly & final test....it's all good.

33d9nno.jpg

Now, the only downside. The only install method I can find is a 6 wire install method. That means there's two wires not being used, which are used to bypass the region restrictions. The last 8 wire install method I used, it wasn't compatible with the PSone, but that could be down to following the wrong installation diagram. Information is sketchy on the installs, especially as there's so many different types of PS1's, types of chips', & types of programming on the chip.

So unless I find an accurate 8 wire install method, a small free programme has to be downloaded & burned to a CD-R. This then allows a force boot of differing region games, along with some nice video modes too.

2l9qwl3.jpg

Standard PS1's have different install points, & likely the 8 wire install method is more common to find. The hunt begins!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Great stuff, does this mean the batch of modchips you got for the PSOne are good?

I should have another PSOne waiting in the post for me in work on Monday so I can drop Ciders funked PSOne and the new one over to you whenever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seemingly so, my initial problem is that I couldn't & still can't find an 8 wire install method for the PSone, meaning the boot disc is needed for imports.

Cool, let me know when you have both & we'll arrange things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

o1s1n seems to have quite the retro console collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have to ask... does Oisin pay you a salary? :pac:

He does indeed, kinda hard to give all these consoles back after working on them & 'testing them out' :D

• Advertisement

I have to ask... does Oisin pay you a salary? :pac:

Lol, 50k a year no less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A steal at 50k too, he's worth twice that :D

Great to hear it worked out. I'll be out in Bray today so I'm going to pick up that PS1 to JAMMA adapter. I haven't even seen a picture of it yet. Fingers crossed it works with the PSone.

Modded PSone & arcade cabinet will be bliss :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    A steal at 50k too, he's worth twice that :D

Great to hear it worked out. I'll be out in Bray today so I'm going to pick up that PS1 to JAMMA adapter. I haven't even seen a picture of it yet. Fingers crossed it works with the PSone.

Modded PSone & arcade cabinet will be bliss :)

Legend of Dragoon in glorious low res 15khz....now it doesn't get batter than that :rolleyes::D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Standard PS1's have different install points, & likely the 8 wire install method is more common to find. The hunt begins!

These instructions/install points info any good to yea?
    http://www.fatcat.co.nz/psx/ps1.html

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    These instructions/install points info any good to yea?
    http://www.fatcat.co.nz/psx/ps1.html

Actually yes, indirectly :(
    If using a Multi-Mode ModChip:
    - You have to use either a Boot CD called Import Player. You use this CD to boot first, select video mode then swap CD's with the NTSC game CD. Or can patch your NTSC games with a utility called Patch-It. Both of these utilities are available from www.megagames.com in the utility section.

The chip I got is an MM3 (Multi-Mode 3), so it would appear this chip simply needs either the boot disc, or the patch method, which I wasn't aware of. Cool, a solution of sorts. I can forget about looking for an 8 wire install for the SCPH-102 so, it doesn't exist for the MM3 seemingly.

The ONE chip was a different type of chip, I might get some of those for future reference. Cheers Kerb, mystery solved it seems.

• Advertisement

The 'ONE Chip' is the one I attempted to install, still have it. Might work find as I'm thinking I borked a component on the mobo rather than the chip itself

The 'ONE Chip' is the one I attempted to install, still have it. Might work find as I'm thinking I borked a component on the mobo rather than the chip itself

Ah I see, the 6 wire method on the MM3 yields different results to the ONEchip, so there's obviously code differences etc in them. I'd say you may be right, the components on the boards are very fragile. I borked my own one the first time, two little ceramic resistors just crumbled away, signs of overheating but it was a low wattage iron. I suppose you just have to bearly make contact & be happy with that.

What kind of wire did you use as a matter of interest?

Ah I see, the 6 wire method on the MM3 yields different results to the ONEchip, so there's obviously code differences etc in them. I'd say you may be right, the components on the boards are very fragile. I borked my own one the first time, two little ceramic resistors just crumbled away, signs of overheating but it was a low wattage iron. I suppose you just have to bearly make contact & be happy with that.

What kind of wire did you use as a matter of interest?

IDE cable cut up. Need to get another spool of the correct gauge wire

IDE cable cut up. Need to get another spool of the correct gauge wire

Yeah, the fine grade Kynar puts a lot less stress on the components. Give me a bell when your passing by & you can drop the other consoles in.

Yeah, the fine grade Kynar puts a lot less stress on the components. Give me a bell when your passing by & you can drop the other consoles in.

Will do. Up to me tits in at the mo but when I get a chance I will drop those PSOnes your way. Maybe this weekend

Advertisement