Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Sure Signal - of any help?

Options
  • 19-02-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Vodafone ad says you need fixed line b/band to use this but would it work with a mobile router like dovado? It would certainly solve one problem for me and maybe two....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSg28cbIXOk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Was thinking of getting this.
    If its true there are no extra charges.

Surely there is a catch though, such as extra charges for calls or bundled minutes being charged for over this. Or even a monthly fee for this.

It would be better for them to just fix their covergae

I wonder would this be any better. It should work with any network.
    <url removed>

daithi2011 wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this.
    If its true there are no extra charges.

Surely there is a catch though, such as extra charges for calls or bundled minutes being charged for over this. Or even a monthly fee for this.

It would be better for them to just fix their covergae

I wonder would this be any better. It should work with any network.
    <url removed>

It would use your own internet bandwith :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

But do you need DSL to operate it? Would it work with the Dovado for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    But do you need DSL to operate it? Would it work with the Dovado for instance?
    What are you looking to do with it?
    It creates a mini mobile cell in your home using your internet connection to carry the traffic. If you don't have mobile phone reception, you won't have mobile broadband reception either...

Even if you did have mobile broadband reception (stick everything up in the attic maybe) latency, contention and pretty restrictive download caps would be a problem.

• Advertisement

Condi wrote: »

Thanks. You're not far off the money - My set-up is that I have mobile internet with 3, it works fine, dongle outside connected to dovado umr 3g router inside giving wireless throughout the house. My phone is with vodafone (no choice, through work) and reception is awful (new house, lots of insulation...).

Internet reception is of course variable given what it is but usually above 1mb and is quite stable most of the time (not in NBS region but probably getting 'leakage from next parish which is)

I also have a vodafone dongle from work which I don't use currently but could possibly use with the dovado and this gadget? Would this be a better set-up? I would then be depending on the modem which is giving me the signal to improve reception in the first place to be boosted by this contraption - would that work I wonder? Which comes first the cart or the horse.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you need real broadband for these.

Absolutely pointless to use with a 3G data package.

A MINIMUM of 1Mbps.

If you have a 3G signal good enough for data, the phone works even better, direct on the 3G signal.

watty wrote: »

If you have a 3G signal good enough for data, the phone works even better, direct on the 3G signal.

Not sure what you mean by this watty?

• Advertisement

A Femto cell needs more bandwidth, thus if used via a 3G router, needs about x10 better signal/ more 3G resources.

A direct 3G call on the 3G network is < 15kbs and works with weak signal. The 3G router won't even connect unless there is about 50k capacity, and really the Femto cell needs about 120k symetrical bandwidth. (1Mbps DSL is 128k up, hence the spec of 1M for the Femto cell).

A 3G mast can maybe at least support x20 as many 3G calls more reliably than 3G data connections on Routers.

The whole point of a Femto cell is to REMOVE traffic from the overburdened poor coverage 3G network onto hugely higher capacity fixed Broadband. A UPC user might have more capacity than an entire 3G mast!

Using a Femto cell via a Router onto 3G Data INCREASES the network burden nearly 10 fold!

A 3G codec can't be sensibly used over TCP/IP. Instead they convert at the Femto cell to a form of VOIP and also a data channel for MMS, SMS, Call setup and other signalling.

I studied this whole subject some years ago, so I forget the exact details.

They should give a discount for calls over Femto cell on BB as it saves them money and improves their network performance.

Authored 2010-11-05 11:11:36 +0000 http://www.techtir.ie/comms/fibre-helps-mobile

Universal FTTC and FFTH would really bring down Mobile costs. Cheaper and faster mast backhaul, Only Mobile Users on Data and loads of Femto cells to reduce traffic and improve performance for those needing mobile. It would double the average Mobile Speed for Data (or more).

Cost is the same as rolling out a 4G Mobile network, which would be x3 more expensive for users and only 2 to 3 times faster on average, and still 50kbps or no connection a significant about of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macksit

I got my Vodafone Sure Signal setup this morning, It works great, I have five bar 3G goodness all over the house on all the mobiles now. Contrary to what Vodafone advertise, one does not need fixed line broadband for this to work. I am using it on the Lastmile line of sight broadband using a 3m download.
    So if one is using Lastmile, Brisknet, Ice or Bounce it should work perfect also as these services work on hte same basis as lastmile, I'm not so sure about satellite broadband though.
    Also the point that I gives a 3G signal is meaningless, as this device is connected to ones router, smartphones will default to the wifi on the router instead of 3G when available. Therefore my iPhone never communicates via 3G when within range of my router anyway.

Still comparing five bars of clear talk vs the one bar of choppy communication an multiple dropped calls - I take the Sure Signal €100 and all.

macksit wrote: »
    I got my Vodafone Sure Signal setup this morning, It works great, I have five bar 3G goodness all over the house on all the mobiles now. Contrary to what Vodafone advertise, one does not need fixed line broadband for this to work. I am using it on the Lastmile line of sight broadband using a 3m download.

That's Wireless FIXED Broadband. So of course it works.
    It will work on Airwire, Westnet, Metro, UPC Cable etc.

Latency and might be an issue on Satellite.

If you are using data and have WiFi gadgets, then the Sure Signal is pointless. It's for 3G mode only, primarily voice calls and SMS.
    Any decent device for Data has WiFi which will work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KBB

macksit wrote: »
    So if one is using Lastmile, Brisknet, Ice or Bounce it should work perfect also as these services work on hte same basis as lastmile, I'm not so sure about satellite broadband though.
    Also the point that I gives a 3G signal is meaningless, as this device is connected to ones router, smartphones will default to the wifi on the router instead of 3G when available. Therefore my iPhone never communicates via 3G when within range of my router anyway.

Still comparing five bars of clear talk vs the one bar of choppy communication an multiple dropped calls - I take the Sure Signal €100 and all.

So, let me get it right...
    You are paying Vodafone to supply you with a 3G phone service but you also have to pay for a device to boost the Vodafone signal. I presume you also pay a monthly fee for your broadband service which is required in order to use the Vodafone suresignal device.
    Surely if Vodafone could supply you with a decent 3G service, you would not have to subsidise their service with your broadband service.

It's not a "booster".

It's Minature base station using your electricity and Broadband. They should give it practically free and reduce your bill in proportion to how much you use it compared to the real out door basestations that Vodafone pays for and has the "backhaul" for.

It offloads traffic from their Network reducing congestion, busy and dropped calls thus Vodafone makes more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Got one of these in last night for a test and it moved my iPhone 4 from 2 bars straight up to 5. Need to check all floors on the house, but initial testing seems positive.

Up until now I generally have to do calls near or outside my front or back doors to avoid call dropping - this poor signal strength, coupled with the general iPhone 4 experience (every call dropped as soon as signal hits 1 bar), means that something like SureSignal will be VERY welcome.

Let's see how we do over the coming week of testing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cranog

We are in a remote rural location and couldn't wait for Sure Speed, even though it was freely available in the UK, so I got a GSM booster relay. It has an aerial, which is mounted outside and is directed at the nearest mast and inside is the relay box, with a small 2db antenna. It gives us 5 bars of signal in a few rooms as opposed to the zero we used to get. So no more hanging out windows or running outside to take a call.

It works on 900MHz. For data traffic we use our wifi network which has a 3mbs up and down capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

"Sure" it saves Vodafone masts and money.

cranog wrote: »
    We are in a remote rural location and couldn't wait for Sure Speed, even though it was freely available in the UK, so I got a GSM booster relay. It has an aerial, which is mounted outside and is directed at the nearest mast and inside is the relay box, with a small 2db antenna. It gives us 5 bars of signal in a few rooms as opposed to the zero we used to get. So no more hanging out windows or running outside to take a call.

It works on 900MHz. For data traffic we use our wifi network which has a 3mbs up and down capacity.

It's also illegal unless supplied by the Operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Does the Vodafone Sure Signal only work with Vodafone phones? Or could someone with an O2 or Three Sim use one?

It will be using Vodafone's Mobile licence and Infrastructure, so only a Vodafone SIM in Vodafone or unlocked 3G device.

There is no point in using data mode. Better to use own WiFi. The only point to it is to give good 3G signal for incoming voice calls on 3G network if you have good reliable Broadband and unreliable 3G signal from Mast.

If you have good Broadband/Fixed line, it's only a convienience for outgoing voice calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just a few questions. Do they use geoIP detection, if I send one over to the office in the states and OZ will they be able to just plug it in and let it do its job or would i need to set up them up with a VPN.

It be nice for the guys on the road over here to be able to call the offices from their irish mobiles. and be included in out fre eminutes, it'd also be nice for th eguys over there to call out guys on the road for free.

The UK ones use a combination of GEO-IP blocking and GPS to give an approximate location of where it is located, and so it can work out nearby basestations to manage hand-off, channel allocation, power etc. Although the UK ones are from a different manufacturer, I would imagine they would implement the same location restriction technology.

However, from a legality point of view, the SureSignal will be broadcasting on spectrum allocated to Vodafone in the Irish Republic only. Even if you could tunnel your way back to Ireland to fool it into think it is located here, you will be broadcasting in licenced spectrum without a licence, potentially over another (US) operator's UMTS signal. You're leaving yourself wide open to being pursued by the FCC over there and I've heard the FCC don't take kindly to that sort of thing :)

GPS requires line of site, so with the suresignal being located in an office.I doubt that it could actually pick up a GPS signal.

must look into the signal strength and see what kind of radius the suresignal sginal will affect. I can't imagin eit beign that large, so the FCC may never notice.

But your right they can be quite funny over there.

That's true, it may not lock on GPS.
    However, it would probably raise suspicions if the guys were on Vodafone IE one minute but two minutes later, they're roaming on AT&T ;)

They are geolocked IP as well as GPS.

Some other countries also have VERY big fines for illegal cell phone transmitters.

The FCC particularly enforce misuse rather more rigorously than Comreg. Australians are laid back, but their laws are not. Some Australian laws would make Stalin proud.

I seriously recommend AGAINST misuse of gear intended for Ireland into Australia or USA.
    You're leaving yourself wide open to being pursued by the FCC over there and I've heard the FCC don't take kindly to that sort of thing
    Putting it mildly.

Also unlike Comreg, FCC does proactive monitoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Kensington wrote: »
    However, it would probably raise suspicions if the guys were on Vodafone IE one minute but two minutes later, they're roaming on AT&T ;)

Yes indeed, your own phone would give you away in a flash.

would it would be legal in countries where Vodafone are operating at the same frequency. as vodafoen would hold a licence. if the range was only within the office space the FCC would never know......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ejayb4

watty wrote: »
    That's Wireless FIXED Broadband. So of course it works.
    It will work on Airwire, Westnet, Metro, UPC Cable etc.

Definition of fixed broadband

High-speed data transmission to homes and businesses using technologies such as T1, cable, DSL and FiOS

This product will not work with airwire, clearwire, Imagine etc...

Only Fixed Broadband!;)

Advertisement