Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iceland Express - flying from Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Judge wrote: »
    RTÉ News reported last year that Iceland Express would be introducing a scheduled service to Reykjavik from Dublin and Belfast this summer.

Belfast service is now on their site and flights can be booked. But no sign of Dublin. Anyone know if this is still going ahead or have they dropped it?

Was looking at this recently as looking at going to Iceland. Rang them and no they are not going ahead with the Dublin route. Looking at going up to Belfast and fly from there as its not the easiest place to get to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Thanks.

Flight leaves Belfast at 11am-ish which is too early to make a train connection. Looks like will have to make a connecting flight from somewhere: Belfast outbound is via Edinburgh, so would rather not have to make 3 plane journeys. Probably direct to Edinburgh to pick up the Belfast flight or from London.

At least can get plane from Reykjavik to Belfast and then get the train down to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

there are a good few bus services to Belfast that operate 24 hour so i wouldn't discount going from Belfast just yet. Presumably you stay on the plane in Edinburgh rather than dis-embark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gemma01

Bus Eireann has buses going to Belfast on the hour (also at 6 and 7 in the morning). It only takes 2 and a half hours to go from Dublin to Belfast which is probably less hassle than booking extra flight connections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

If you have a car just drive up to Belfast, it is only a short hop. We've gone on holidays from Belfast International Airport a few times. The petrol up from Dublin and the car park fee wasn't that much and the overall package saved us a couple of hundred per person versus the same from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Can't believe I didn't think of the bus... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Am gutted :(
    They had Dublin on the website 2 weeks ago when I last checked and service was starting June 22 one per week.
    The trip to belfast is still better than going via LHR/MAN/GLA, but still...

Sneeky... check the website more carefully and you will see the outbound 5W530 is via Edinburgh. Departs Belfast 11:20 arrives Keflavik 14:50. Still quicker that LHR route and cheaper.
    I wonder if they deplane you in EDI?

I would love to know what the hell Ice Express are up to... Belfast - Keflavik has been removed from the summer schedule on the website. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

There was an article in the Irish Times travel section the other week where they covered Iceland, but they only said that Icelandair flew from Heathrow. I was thinking at the time (in light of this posting) that it was weird they didn't say Iceland Express flew from Belfast.

When you think about it, most of the time the Irish travel journos refer to connections via LHR - which we all know is a pain in the butt at the best of times. They could have listed the connections via EDI in this case.

In fairness they do occasionally list that carrier X connects in Paris or carrier Y connects in Frankfurt, but it's very much the occasional route. I'm not sure I've ever seen Amsterdam listed for connections, perhaps because the journos haven't made it to any of the Dutch ex-colonies.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Belfast service suspended until 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12617758

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Belfast service suspended until 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12617758

Aw, pants! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

how do you fly from dublin to Reykjavík?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

how do you fly from dublin to Reykjavík?
    Either set off in a hot air balloon, or connect in London.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keflav%C3%ADk_International_Airport

Advertisement