Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downhill running tips?

Options
  • 13-02-2011 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if theres a right way and a wrong way for running (even if slowly) downhill over stoney/ rocky ground. I was trying to get down the miners path in Glendalough today quickly and was varying from trying to go from large stone to large stone, to trying the gravel in between stones to the next patch or trying bits of grass along the edges but was stupidly slow anyway. I know a lot of its got to do with momentum but is there a 'right' way for this type of terrain or has anyone got any pointers or preferences for discussion
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

check out a/r/t photos there is one showing a certain mod cominin down a hill the proper way in 2009 ww relay(maybe DP could post it up here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fi H wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if theres a right way and a wrong way for running (even if slowly) downhill over stoney/ rocky ground. I was trying to get down the miners path in Glendalough today quickly and was varying from trying to go from large stone to large stone, to trying the gravel in between stones to the next patch or trying bits of grass along the edges but was stupidly slow anyway. I know a lot of its got to do with momentum but is there a 'right' way for this type of terrain or has anyone got any pointers or preferences for discussion
    cheers

Practice, practice, practice. Footwear is important if you are traveling at speed- trail/offroad runners with better grip (although sometimes coming down scree and rocks can be easier with the better cushioning of road runners). Do it enough times, and you develop a feel for the terrain, along with building stronger ankles. Then it can be a matter of letting go of fear, and upping the pace. It's amazing what you can do when you embrace downhill running (although, as Enduro found out a week ago, its easy to break bones when you mix velocity, mass, and impact!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Fi H wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    cheers

If you look at the really good descenders they are covering the ground quickly and effortlessly.

To practice this during a long run: slow right down till the effort is very easy.
    Concentrate fully on where you are putting your feet. Dont think too much about it, just adapt to teh terrain you are confronted with. If you keep concentrating you may find that later in the same run you are descending with the same lack of effort but alot quicker.
    You will naturally know what speed with which you can cope with the terrain with. Forcing the descent in training where you are constantly slowing or stuttering around obstacles means you are trying to travel too fast, ending up having to continuosly slow while using too much energy and your mind is not learning to cover the ground using gravity.

I think this is the quickest way to improve. By slowing you are encouraging the use of gravity to descent (desirable) rather than forcing it. You sre staying relaxed and using less energy. The good descenders look effortless because it is relatively effortless for them much of the time-they are using gravity.

One way to look at it is how swimmers must perfect their technique by swimming slowly. You willimprove more quickly becuase as your eye and technique improve , gravity ensures your speed improves.

Slow down, relax concentrate on the ground and after a whilke youll be amazed how effortlessly you are skipping over the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

As already stated... practice, relaxation and good footwear.
    Start off by warming up before practice followed by a good stretch-out (this will help you feel loose and relaxed).
    Then pick a 1mtr 'box of vision' 2 - 4 steps ahead of you and concentrate exclusively on this area. With practice you will be able to flow fluidly over the most complex ground at pace w/out lifting your head.
    Footware is very important for descending as you need to have 100% confidence in your shoes.
    A really good place for training is the sleeper steps coming down the Spink as in places the steps are very close together and you have no choice but to concentrate on your footwork.
    With time, you will develop the confidence to take 2/3 steps at a time and close to full downhill pace (The only issue w/this area for training is that the steps are covered w/wire mesh and while this provides extra grip, it also destroys soft super grippy soles like my Inov8's :()
    Enjoy.
    A.

A good tip I only found out about a couple of days back- have another downhiller train right in front of you (I suppose this is advice for when you get pretty proficient anyway), it will force you to focus your reaction time for foot placement. Alternate who's in front.

I tried for the first time running downhill fast (very grassy) while picking a distant hill and looking at it. Good practice for letting yourself go and trusting your footfall instincts. Again, only really to be tried when you've built up a bit of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to add... the miner's track is a very technical descent. One of the trickier ones around. I'd suggest working up towards it by practicing on easier ground first and then moving to more technical terraine. Try running on grassy or boggy terraine first, where you can throw yourself into it a lot more because the consequences of mistakes are usually far less serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Also keep in mind that when running down a technical descent you are training two skills, not one: running over difficult terrain and running down a steep slope.

In all sports, when coaching, its standard practice to break skills down into their core components. So in this case you could implement some fast running over difficult (but flat terrain) combined with fast descending over easy terrain. When you feel comfortable with both, you "put the lessons together" and try ever more difficult terrain on steep slopes.

My dad dragging me through pitch-black Danish forests as a childhood, radio-orienteering, taught me some basic skills on how to handle off-road terrain (desite the compelte flatness of the terrain), so is one example of such a "training course".

I use this approach for the warm-up and the downhill part of the Lydiard Hill Circuit training I have conducted over the last year. Downhill striding is part of the circuit itself while we do drills borrowed from both sprint training and the English FRA to teach fast-feet, coordination and other basic skills that are useful when descending. A set of cones can give you tons of drills and if you have small hurdles even better (unfortunately i can usually only bring the former out on the actual mountainside).

The downhill striding basically teaches you to keep control and good running form while running down a steep (but easy) descent and forces your body to adapt to turning your legs over very fast. Unless you have a sprint background, middle-distance or similar, your body might struggle to cope with some of the very high-end speeds that you can face on a downhill, often well in excess of 20kph (E.g. the loss of control doesn't necessarily come from inability to handle the terrain but insufficient motor control of your legs at high velocities.)

Every child has probably experienced this feeling of "being out of control", when your legs seem to be turning so fast all you want to do is try to brake as you cannot "keep up". Its really just your nervous system is not trained to process the amount of information necessary. It's a trained skill much like juggling ever more balls in the air. One thing we saw on our coaching course in England is just how poor the average coordination of many runners are. Yet this makes perfect sense as coordination is perceived as less of a core skill in running than in say gridiron, soccer, long-jump and other sports requiring complex sequences of movements to be executed over and over to perfection. A good downhill is essentially just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Thanks a million for all of this info - lots to take in and work on :D
    Footwear is important if you are traveling at speed- trail/offroad runners with better grip (although sometimes coming down scree and rocks can be easier with the better cushioning of road runners).

Think I have this one cracked :) Got myself a new pair of Columbia Ravenous and I have to say I was sceptical when I first tried them on cause they were so spongy but they are savage, very good cushioning and way more stable than my north face ones :) (they also let the water out really quickly which i am loving)

Enduro - its good to know that path is technical maybe I am starting too big.
    From what people are saying the key is to start a bit smaller and practice a LOT so thats what i will try and do :D thanks again!

Yeah... I think it's best if you ignore my tip on training on the Spink steps as it is quite technical and potentially dangerous - work your way towards it but don't start there.
    I also agree w/Endoro (re-the miner's track).. it's one of the more technical descents in the area, therefore avoid for now.
    Great info from Raighne...
    Take it easy and enjoy.
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Lots of good advice here, I like the separating the components Raighne.

Now for same airy fairy advice:)

I find my descending improves when I'm doing some rock climbing, it might have something to do with re-discovering precise foot placement and the exact position of the feet - improved proprioception anyway and a wee bit of natural core strength training.

This can be practiced at by using your feet more to do things like turning on light switches or placing your big toe exactly on each of the four corners of a tile/pattern - generally treating your feet more like useful aggendages and less like things that go at the bottom.
    Dancing might be another option?

Holding back on the climbs can reap huge dividends if it means you are still strong and can hold good form on the descent, massive gains can be made with a good descent whereas a very good climb might only make a few seconds and will wipe you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Peterx wrote: »
    Lots of good advice here, I like the separating the components Raighne.

Now for same airy fairy advice:)

I find my descending improves when I'm doing some rock climbing, it might have something to do with re-discovering precise foot placement and the exact position of the feet - improved proprioception anyway and a wee bit of natural core strength training.

This can be practiced at by using your feet more to do things like turning on light switches or placing your big toe exactly on each of the four corners of a tile/pattern - generally treating your feet more like useful aggendages and less like things that go at the bottom.
    Dancing might be another option?

Holding back on the climbs can reap huge dividends if it means you are still strong and can hold good form on the descent, massive gains can be made with a good descent whereas a very good climb might only make a few seconds and will wipe you out.

Its harsh to call this advice airy-fairy ;-)

This is great as it touches on something else that our tutors spoke about but that I did not think to include in the post above.

If you try to stand on one leg you will notice that not only do all sorts of balancing muscles activate to try and stabilise you (mainly your ankle). Stand in front of a mirror and you may notice that the side of your body with the lifted foot is sinking or that you are twisting sideways.

This is simply your core (so the muscles that stabilise your hip and spine) lacking control, strength or both. Essentially, if you can strengthen your core strength and control to a level where you can perform one-legged exercises (such as one-legged squats) with as little "shaking" as possible, you are building a stabler "platform" for your running.

Imagine running downhill at 25kph and every time your leg strikes the ground, your stabilising muscles have to work hard to keep the ankle from rolling over in either direction and your core is working hard to keep you reasonably upright. If you are weak you will tire quickly and eventually this will destabilise you more and more until you feel increasingly unstable and slow down and/or fall.

Peterx comment on energy saved on the uphill potentially being of use on the downhill makes perfect sense too. Your balancing muscles stabilise you and your other muscles help absorb the pressure of your tendons and ligaments. Both need to contract in order to do this effectively and the more tired they are the less forcefully they contract and the worse they are at doing their job.

From personal experience I find I can often have the best and most flowing descents in training. Quite quickly I realised that it was easy because both my legs and my mind are fresh while in a race coming off a top the legs are most likely hammered and the brain oxygen-deprived.

This is a long way of saying that simply increasing your leg and core strength (and as Peter mentions "proprioception") and your fitness level, you should see yourself becoming a better descender even if you did not also do the technical work (in case you have to prioritise).

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Train on stuff that is easier to build up the ability to attack a descent hard.
    Train on stuff that is more technical to build up confidence.

Confidence + Attacking ability = one mean assed descender, a force to be reckoned with.

Come off Camaderry on the Wicklow gap side. Thats fun!

Heres a clip from the Borrowdale fell race in Cumbria. They are descending a scree strewn gully.

The guy at 1min15 seems to be the fastest descender but is in complete control. The guy at 1min 40 has an amazing technique. He looks like he is jogging easily and he is moving very fast.

Some of these runners will jellify their quads and fall in that descent: not those two guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OsL6brYV-I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

You'll learn a lot by simply doing as many races as you can. It's very interesting to watch the person in front of you descend. Particularly when its a person passing you. You'll start to notice little things and you begin to understand why you were passed.

Also helps if you're a lunatic I suppose.

Neglected to mention the importance of using your arms in various ways when descending.
    I find that my arm movements mimics not only my cadence but also the individual movements of each step. This not only helps w/concentration but also provides much needed stability and balance.
    Also agree w/Peterx (re-rock climbing) - if rock climbing isn't your thing I'd suggest you grab your most sticky pair of runners and head up to the miners village in Glendo (on a dry day) and make your way from the path to the upper slopes on boulders exclusively, using hands when necessary. Then make your way down to path and repeat several times. But be extremely cautious - If you are uneasy about movement on steep ground then move horizontally instead.
    I have done this many times it not only improves proprioception but perhaps equally important, it will improve confidence.
    Enjoy.
    A.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I was at the playground with my kids yesterday and noticed a few kids flying down a steep grassy hill and their technique made sense.

Of course the parents were shouting to be careful, slow down you'll fall etc. But not one of them listened and not one of them came a cropper.

I reckon if you can downhill like a child, with no fear, arms flailing about like a windmill, bouncing on your toes its got to be the best method.

Just make sure one of your kids is downhilling with the other kids or people will get upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Well summed up in the comments above, particularly by T runner.

There's just one final component I'd add, Fear.
    Fear of being caught, fear of being passed, fear of not catching the runner in front. All else pales compared to that motivating force.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

Well summed up in the comments above, particularly by T runner.

There's just one final component I'd add, Fear.
    Fear of being caught, fear of being passed, fear of not catching the runner in front. All else pales compared to that motivating force.

Only moderated by that other fear - of falling on one's face :o

Although seriously, once you have learnt how to survive a full speed fall, this particular fear dwindles. It's good to try and fall on something soft ;) Heather, mud, or other runners qualify. Rocks, branches and large stretches of vertical fresh air don't.

The ideal if you are quick witted enough is to tuck your shoulder under, perform an elegant forward roll, and bound to your feet again :D

In most cases, removing skin off the palms of your hands and embedding gravel in your knees and face are more likely :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Humm so to summarise, in order to obtain excellence in the area of downhilling I need practice, good runners, no fear, a few kids and extra skin in various places around the body.....right.....I will start with practice & good runners if thats ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I know feck all about descending but say wear cycling gloves. You'll lose skin when you fall.

• Advertisement

ocnoc wrote: »
    Train on stuff that is easier to build up the ability to attack a descent hard.
    Train on stuff that is more technical to build up confidence.

Confidence + Attacking ability = one mean assed descender, a force to be reckoned with.

Come off Camaderry on the Wicklow gap side. Thats fun!

I had your Camaderry descent pointed out to me yesterday... :eek:!

If you're around the Glendalough area FiHi, might be worth your while driving to the car park at the base on Tonelagee, and practising your descents off it. Its grassy, heather, bog, and perfectly safe for letting yourself go (I planted my face into the boggy earth at speed with no consequences). You'll build up confidence, use the right muscles, and won't get hurt exploring different techniques and velocities. You could move on to the stoney descents then, once you've gained some confidence (and as pointed out above, have learned to fall)

Incidentally, the far side of Tonelagee, heading down to the west side of Lough Ouler, has a terrifically steep descent, down soft boggy grass. The optimal way to come down it is by "sitting back" into the hill, and lifting your knees in an almost controlled ski descent. Great hill to practice on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Read back over this thread (and its sister) after trying some hill running yesterday on Knocknarae - all good helpful stuff.

One question:
    On the steep downhills, will experienced mountain runners take the shortest route or is it sometimes quicker to follow a longer (less steep) route ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

dna_leri wrote: »
    One question:
    On the steep downhills, will experienced mountain runners take the shortest route or is it sometimes quicker to follow a longer (less steep) route ?

Every hill/mountain is different so there's no hard or fast rules. In the majority of races either the route is marked (follow the markers) or is reasonably clearly defined on the ground (along a ridge or around a cliff, that sort of thing).

Sometimes it is quicker to go direct, sometimes it isn't. The most important thing is to only run where you feel comfortable and in control. That goes for experienced hill racers just as much as it does for a novice hill runner.

Read back over this thread (and its sister) after trying some hill running yesterday on Knocknarae - all good helpful stuff.

One question:

Hi dna, PNs advice is perfect.
    I know knocknarea quite well and can hazard a guess as to where you are deciding to go direct or not. On the warriors run descent after the first few drops down on the gravel path from the Cairn the path meanders right. You can instead keep straight (and to the left of meandering path) and descent steeply to rejoin the path below.
    Its quicker and probably the right choice to take.

The rest of the descent is almost of similar steepness so its not an especially difficult part.
    You wont meet ascending or descending runners so you can just concentrate on your own descending, which is an advantage in that race as there are plenty of runners around.
    I usually let the first few drops after the Cairn speed me up and then try and use leg speed to get straight down the steep section to the gate, the rest id try and not slow, let gravity take me and just concentrate on foot placements while relaxing and recovering a little.

Also to note on descents is that your heart rate is lowered on slower terrain (as you slow). Normally when runners hit a more runnable part of the descent
    they keep at the same intensity. By increasing intensity and attacking runnable parts very hard they could make minutes up over a long descent. They can recover on the rougher parts again. This also keeps them concentrating and in an alert fast mind frame which is good.

In the warriors run the fastest most runnable part of the descent is just after the Cairn. If youre doing it, be agressive here. Youll lose your pursuers who will almost all try and recover once past the cairn (an implied tip there, be at the head of your group at the start of the descent for obvious reasons). Recover down at the rocky path to the carpark. Your pursuers will be a minute behind never to be seen again.

A slight word of warning: Im all talk. I descended like a rusty robot in a hill race last sunday. Hope to take my own advice in WR 2011 though!

In the warriors run teh best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Thanks T,

Spot on with the location. Not sure I am brave enough to just go straight down. I got up enough speed on the first bit but I felt like I was going to take flight on the next section and had to really slow down to handle it.
    Anyway plenty more time to practice in the coming months.

Thanks T,

Spot on with the location. Not sure I am brave enough to just go straight down. I got up enough speed on the first bit but I felt like I was going to take flight on the next section and had to really slow down to handle it.
    Anyway plenty more time to practice in the coming months.

If you can ride that bit youre half way down the steep bit. Id try it with grips. The best times ive done on that race have always been with grips where you can trust your footing.

Advertisement