Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

04 Avensis D4D cutting out at idle / low rev

• 28-01-2011 8:35am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is something that's popped up more and more recently on my car. I'd be stationary in the car, or slowing down coming to a stop and the engine would stall.

Oil level is fine, variety of diesel fuel (happening over a couple of thousand miles). Done a little over 7000 miles since last service where oil, oil filter, and air filter were changed..

I think I did the fuel filter the service before that, maybe I should change it again?

The car has also gone into limp home mode while driving at cruising speed once or twice. I had to pull over and disconnect the battery to the engine management light.

Finally, and it may be only in my head, the acceleration doesn't seem as smooth. Feels a little hesitant sometimes. Power feel about the same.

The car has done nearly 190k miles. I did my glow plugs at 100k miles ish. Maybe they could do with a replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sounds like a fuel starvation problem to the high pressure pump. I suppose replace the fuel filter first and see how you get on as they are cheap enough. Im not sure is there a lift pump in them, if the problem continues after getting the filter replaced try a fuel pressure test from the lift pump if it has one. I know the injectors can give trouble in these and they are about €700 - 800 quid a piece:(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've been reading into this, and a few people had mentioned the suction control valve.

I'm thinking of getting toyota fuel, oil, air (hell, even a pollen filter) filters and seeing how it goes with that.

How many injectors are there, or is that price for all of them?

4 injectors cost €3000:( I just googled that suction control valve and one guy replaced them and the problem is still there.

Ouch. I'd be better off if I accidentally crashed the car. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I'd be fairy confident you could get the injectors rebuilt for a lot less than 3k.

The gf's sister has one of these that is giving trouble as well at the minute. It seems EGR coking up on them is also an issue, one to do when you are doing your service maybe

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    I'd be fairy confident you could get the injectors rebuilt for a lot less than 3k.

The gf's sister has one of these that is giving trouble as well at the minute. It seems EGR coking up on them is also an issue, one to do when you are doing your service maybe
    Your right about rebuilding them but they are a lot of cowboys out there. Yeah EGR, would be no harm cleaning it out but the the EGR dosen't cause the engine to stall so maybe its ok, sure no harm eliminating one probelm anyway!

Anyway mark, get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and see what them faults are.

I got it connected up at a local independent garage, no error code found. Not surprising as I'd cleared the previous error by disconnecting the battery the day before.

He floored it, and I got black smoke. Which is seemingly good, as white smoke would lean towards injectors.

He recommended a super dose of dipetane in a full tank and driving it on a bit in fourth to clear out the carbon that must have been building it it. He also asked where I was getting my diesel. There is a place in limerick that sells discount diesel that isn't strictly licensed to sell diesel. Never touched them, usually go for the well known stations.

Car seems to be behaving itself now. Will get my full service done there soon I think. I can manage everything bar the fuel filter, and it's easier to let a pro do the work. Cleaner too. :)

Might all be sorted for you then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Make sure recall work has been carried out. If the engine intermittently cuts out and the fault cannot be diagnostically traced it may be due to a faulty safety fuel cut-off solenoid switch. On D-4D, cutting out can also be caused by a build of of salts on a hot wire in the mass airflow sensor.

from honest john website, may not be your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

the next time the fault occurs try and avoid if possible disconnecting the battery and get your fault codes read. this may give a much better idea of possible causes. however live data in a good scan tool may give good indications of whats going on. from experience id be looking closely at injection correction factors.

hope this helps

• Advertisement

I just got an odb scanner actually, so will have a play with it to see what shows (if anything) if it reoccurs.

It's a bluetooth one, and I always have my laptop with me for work, so may save me popping the bonnet in the rain. :D

Just to update, the problem got worse before it got better. Engine would cut out at low idle / slowing down.

Got her home, then wouldn't start the next day. Mechanic friend couldn't fix it in drive, and had to be towed. *sniff*

Fuel itself was fine (wanted to make sure I didn't put petrol in!), fuel filter was bypassed and engine ran when diesel put directly in.

Injectors were later suspected, then proved to be fine (thank goodness).

Fuel lines were clear, and fuel pump was checked again, and found to be full of gunk. Stripped down and rebuilt pump, all working again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

MarkR wrote: »
    I just got an odb scanner actually, so will have a play with it to see what shows (if anything) if it reoccurs.

It's a bluetooth one, and I always have my laptop with me for work, so may save me popping the bonnet in the rain. :D

Those Avensis D4D's up to around 2007 are not the most cooperative with Generic scan tools. I had an '05(5 speed) and an '08 (newer engine and 6speed box) side by side, and I could only read half the live parameters from the 05 that I could read from the 08. One of the missing params was fuel pressure, which is a must have when working on one of these. :o Heavier artillery was needed to read the missing data.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

MarkR wrote: »
    Fuel lines were clear, and fuel pump was checked again, and found to be full of gunk. Stripped down and rebuilt pump, all working again. :)
    I wonder did you get ropey fuel at some stage?

Are they two pumps in these, A high pressure and low pressure lift pump? If so which one was it? Pumps don't really gather gunk.

shamwari wrote: »
    I wonder did you get ropey fuel at some stage?

I always go to the name brand stations, texaco, topaz etc. I actually have a glovebox full of receipts for the last couple of thousand miles for a fuel site I've been using. Could be dodgy fuel, but assumed filter would have taken out anything solid
    Plug wrote: »
    Are they two pumps in these, A high pressure and low pressure lift pump? If so which one was it? Pumps don't really gather gunk.

Single pump I'm told. I did ask the guy what caused it (big mileage maybe?), and what I could do to prevent it (quality fuel, maybe some dipetane or something)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement