Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of my housemates is an APPALLING human being - What do I Do?

Options
  • 18-01-2011 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Moved into a place a month ago in Melbourne. All my housemates are great except for one lad. He owns a dog. The lease says no pets unless agreed beforehand. The landlord agreed with him (and nobody else) that he could have a dog in the house, and as he was one of the first to move in, the landlord has said that all subsequent housemates have "implied" that they accept there is a dog in the house when signing the lease.

This guy is the rudest, most selfish tw@t i've ever met. He works as a chef and is rarely around to look after his dog as a result. One day he came back at 11pm and the dog wasnt in the back garden and he asked me did I see it and I said I saw it trying to escape a few hours earlier, and he went mad at me for not trying to stop HIS dog escape. Told him the thing is not my responsibility!

2 mornings in a row last week myself and one of the girls (both of our rooms are facing the back garden) were woken up at 7am both mornings by the dog crying and roaring at the top of its lungs in misery at being left outside in the pissing rain. The 2nd morning I got fed up and shouted from my bed "shut the f**k up you stupid dog". I didnt know the guy was outside and he shouted back at me "what do you expect me to do you d1ckhead, you w@nker". UNBELIEVABLE!! He also said to one of the girls that as he pays the most rent he has the most rights or some sh1te like that.

He is the worst dog owner ever. That dog is miserable. It is the sadest, most depressed dog I have ever seen. It spends most of its time crying. He usually brings the dog into his room at night but he actually left the dog outside all night last night, outside our bedroom windows. Incredibly rude. The thing cried with misery, then roared with anger, knocked over the bins completely getting agitated. The thing doesnt get much exercise, he never takes it for walks really. The dog was left outside for 23 hours in total.

Today it got worse. After bringin his dog in for an hour last night he quickly sent it back outside where it remained for another 24 hours. Then he brought it in for another hour and he has since sent it back outside (right outside my bedroom) for the night again. Enough was enough and I asked him why is he leaving the dog outside and that its inconsiderate of other people. He got very pissed off, and told me I'd want to watch myself and that I wouldnt want to get him angry. I said why is he not bringing the dog into his room at night anymore and he said because its p1ssing in his room. I said that it needs to be trained and he told me not to tell him what to do. He says he pays more rent than me (no sh1t shirlock considering he chose the most expensive room) so I dont have much of a say. I tried to talk to him in as much of a peaceful way as possible but he looked on the verge of becoming agressive. I said that I have every right to air my concerns, and he said "well you've aired your concerns and I dont give two sh1ts about them".

In addtion to this the dog (who is still a puppy, and not trained at all) has destroyed peoples clothes hanging to dry on the clothes line, chewed up one of the girls computer mouse, jumped in through the open window and knocked all the rubbish bins over. I cant blame the dog, its not his fault of course.

The landlord says basically he doesnt care. He agreed for him to have a dog in the house an as a result everybody else must agree to being around it (which is gas considering the others who moved in the same day as him a few months ago werent told anything about the dog).

I'm basically tied here for 2 more months as the minimum time I have to stay is 3 months or I lose my deposit.

What on earth do I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Kill the dog. Throw in a pot and ask the chef to make something nice out of it when he gets home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

1. Stay and go mental

Or

2. Leave and lose your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

I'd start looking after the dog. I know its not yours but animals are like children and deserve to be cared for regardless.

OR call the local RSPCA and ask them for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

yew kicked my dawg!

kill the f*cking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,108 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Move!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Call whatever the local ISPCA is and tell them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

BickNarry wrote: »
    I'd start looking after the dog. I know its not yours but animals are like children and deserve to be cared for regardless.

Looking after his dog would be doing that c**t a favour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

04072511 wrote: »
    Today it got worse. After bringin his dog in for an hour last night he quickly sent it back outside where it remained for another 24 hours. Then he brought it in for another hour and he has since sent it back outside (right outside my bedroom) for the night again. Enough was enough and I asked him why is he leaving the dog outside and that its inconsiderate of other people. He got very pissed off, and told me I'd want to watch myself and that I wouldnt want to get him angry. I said why is he not bringing the dog into his room at night anymore and he said because its p1ssing in his room. I said that it needs to be trained and he told me not to tell him what to do. He says he pays more rent than me (no sh1t shirlock considering he chose the most expensive room) so I dont have much of a say. I tried to talk to him in as much of a peaceful way as possible but he looked on the verge of becoming agressive. I said that I have every right to air my concerns, and he said "well you've aired your concerns and I dont give two sh1ts about them".
    Do you live with the Incredible Hulk? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Your right, punish the man by punishing the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭JohnathanM

Smear the door to his room with sh't, each and every day until he gets the message and goes. It's what Jesus would do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

bluewolf wrote: »
    Call whatever the local ISPCA is and tell them

I think the laws are quite lax. As long as he is being provided with "adequate" shelter (a crappy shack in the back garden), water and food then there is nothing much they can do. Though one day it was 41 degrees and he was tied up and ran out of water. If one of us wasnt around the thing could have died. But that was a once off.

Also the ISPCA wont solve my problems of living with this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Set a trap for your flatmate so that when he walks in the door the following happens:

1: A tin of red paint falls from the door on his head, causing him to either get KO'd or go blind with it's paintey goodness

Tie him up, tape a hot iron to his leg. Put a recording of a dog barking on the stereo, leave him there for several hours. Upon your return, un-gag him and ask him how he likes it?

Then, bring his dog in, cook it and make him eat it. When he's finished his last slice of dog - blast him with piss then tell your landlord you and flatmates found him like that (You must make sure they're aware of your plan before you proceed).

Tell him that if he doesn't move out, he'll be eating his mother next.

2: :confused:

3: Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Call the Aussie RSPCA. With a bit of luck, the puppy gets re-homed and you get peace and quiet.

Also, your housemate gets really angry at you and maybe moves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

If you feel the dog is being miss treated ask one of the local SPCAs or shelters for advice. If the dog is being misstreated they can seize the dog from the owner. A lot of organisations have a policy to not put the dogs down if they are healthy so make sure of that first

What breed is the dog?

The guy sounds like an ass alright but this sounds like something that can only be handled by all your other flatmates coming together and issuing an ultimatum. Look after the dog, behave yourself, act responsible or the dog is going to be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

RSPCA ACT

Mailing AddressPO Box 3082
    Weston Creek ACT 2611Street Address12 Kirkpatrick Street
    Weston ACT 2611Phone02 6287 8100Fax02 6288 3184Emailrspca@rspca-act.org.auWebsite http://www.rspca-act.org.au/
    RSPCA Darwin Regional Branch

Mailing AddressPO Box 40034
    Casuarina NT 0811Street AddressBoulter Road
    Berrimah NT 0820Phone08 8984 3795Fax08 8984 3635Emailadmin@rspcadarwin.org.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcadarwin.org.au
    RSPCA New South Wales

Mailing AddressPO Box 34
    Yagoona NSW 2199Street Address201 Rookwood Road
    Yagoona NSW 2199Phone02 9770 7555Fax02 9770 7575Emailmail@rspcansw.org.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcansw.org.au/
    RSPCA Queensland

Mailing AddressPO Box 6177
    Fairfield Gardens Qld 4103Street Address301 Fairfield Road
    Fairfield Qld 4103Phone07 3426 9999Fax07 3848 1178Emailadmin@rspcaqld.org.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcaqld.org.au
    RSPCA South Australia

Mailing AddressGPO Box 2122
    Adelaide SA 5001Street Address172 Morphett Street
    Adelaide SA 5000Phone08 8231 6931Fax08 8231 6201Emailinfo@rspcasa.asn.au
    Websitehttp://www.rspcasa.asn.au
    RSPCA Tasmania

Mailing AddressPO Box 463
    Launceston Tas 7250Street AddressThe Old Post Office
    68 Cameron Street
    Launceston TAS 7250Phone03 6332 8200Fax03 6332 8299Emailrspca@rspcatas.org.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcatas.org.au/
    RSPCA Victoria

Mailing Address3 Burwood Highway
    Burwood East Vic 3151Street Address3 Burwood Highway
    Burwood East Vic 3151Phone03 9224 2222Fax03 9224 2200Emailrspca@rspcavic.org.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcavic.org
    RSPCA Western Australia

Mailing AddressPO Box 3147
    Malaga WA 6945Street Address108 Malaga Drive
    Malaga WA 6062 Phone08 9209 9300Fax08 9248 3144Emailrspca@rspcawa.asn.auWebsitehttp://www.rspcawa.asn.au

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Strewth! Can't you guys settle your differences over a few tinnies and a good barbie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

You're in Australia? Get Joel Monaghan around to the house, he'll more than make up for the dog's master going awol and not giving him enough attention.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Strewth! Can't you guys settle your differences over a few tinnies and a good barbie?

Have you never seen Neighours? Bouncer was the cause of approx 97% of all fights on Ramsay St.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Look at the lease to see if it says no pets allowed. It should be there in black and white. Also, did you not have a grace period where you four change your mind, say 14 days to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

04072511 wrote: »
    What on earth do I do?

Just keep winding him up until he cracks and pulverises you. You can then sue him for damages and get yourself a state of the art motorised wheelchair.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Just keep winding him up until he cracks and pulverises you. You can then sue him for damages and get yourself a state of the art motorised wheelchair.

Let him smash your face in and you might even make enough to buy a iBot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

bonerm wrote: »
    Kill the chef. Throw in a pot and ask the dog to make something nice out of it when he gets home from work.

Better option IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darth vadar

You just have to stick it out for the next 2 months if you need your deposit. Try being nice to the dog and take it for a walk daily if possible. I know its not your dog but think how frustrated and suspicious he will be when he sees you being nice to his dog.On the day you leave ring the RSPCA or whatever the equivalent body is and report him for neglect of his dog outlining its repeated long spells just left in the garden, no exercise or attention etc. This might seem mean but hopefully the dog will be taken and a new family who actually want a dog will give it a good home. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Sex between house mates usually throws a spanner in the works, so perhaps start a sexual affair with the animal and see where it goes.

It may change the dynamics of the human relationships within the house in a way that benefits you, possibly?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Train dog to attack, when leaving in 2moths the last word you say is the attack word, chief is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

D'ya like dags?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

put the dog in his room when he isnt there... after feeding it with curry and guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How old is the puppy?
    Sometimes if a puppy is taken away from its mother too soon it will howl all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Following on from the other "Worst housemate" threads;

Blast him with piss.

Advertisement