Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Vaccinators

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hello

I have just got back from the vets as I wanted to discuss vaccinating my brood myself.

I was told I can buy the vaccines in the chemist no problem. I just have to ask for the 7 in 1.

I've one lad that will be getting his first Vaccination, so I have to give him 2 doses, 2 weeks apart (so two vials of the 7 in 1)

For some reason I always though the first injection and the second were totally different medicines, obviously I was wrong.

I just wanted to get this written out and ask other people who vaccinate themselves if this looks/sounds right.

I am used to injections, I do subcutaneous injections on myself every second day. Although I am slightly nervous, as I don't mind injuring myself, but I would hate to injure my pets.

Any tips or hints appreciated.

Thank you.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

In my opinion, if you are injecting puppies i would make sure they got their first vacc's at the vet so they can get checked over etc by the vet to make sure they are all healthy.

But if you are vaccinating older dogs, with their boosters etc i would have no problem doing them myself and i will be vaccinating my dogs myself from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Hi,

No puppies. They are my old guys and another guy that I picked up (or rather he picked us). He has been to get neutered, health checked etc, so he is fine, just needs his vaccinations now. It will be his first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Hi andreac

do you know how much the vaccines cost and where to buy them?

how much would you save for 2 dogs as opposed to goign to the vet ?

cheers

I am being charged 13euro per vial bought direct from the chemist.

falabo wrote: »
    Hi andreac

do you know how much the vaccines cost and where to buy them?

how much would you save for 2 dogs as opposed to goign to the vet ?

cheers

The vaccines cost about 12 euro for a booster, as opposed to about 50 or more to get them done in the vets. Most chemists sell them. Where are you based?

• Advertisement

Andreac, is the booster a lower dose of the 7 in 1 or what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

andreac wrote: »
    The vaccines cost about 12 euro for a booster, as opposed to about 50 or more to get them done in the vets. Most chemists sell them. Where are you based?
    good info! thanks for this and thanks for the Question F.T.

one more........ does anyone buy online,worm tablets?
    Im guessing op,you will need these also.

good info! thanks for this and thanks for the Question F.T.

one more........ does anyone buy online,worm tablets?
    Im guessing op,you will need these also.

I have never bought wormer online, normally just buy it in the practice.

I did see this morning, that there is a website doing very low prices on the Drontal. I have enough to do me until summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

www.medicanimal.com is a good site for buying anti flea treatment, wormer, cheaper prescription medication (with prescription from vet) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Vaccines are prescription only medicines, is your vet giving you one to bring to the Chemist?

• Advertisement

hi andreac

That sounds very good . . . I'm based in Trim co metah, I have never vaccinated my dogs or used a seringue before and dont know if I would be comfortable doing this, is it easy to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

How does this work with your vacination card for going into kennels etc?

anniehoo wrote: »
    Vaccines are prescription only medicines, is your vet giving you one to bring to the Chemist?

No, the chemist sells them, anyone can buy them and vaccinate their dog.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    How does this work with your vacination card for going into kennels etc?

Take the sticker off the bottles and stick them to your vaccination card.

hi andreac

That sounds very good . . . I'm based in Trim co metah, I have never vaccinated my dogs or used a seringue before and dont know if I would be comfortable doing this, is it easy to do ?

Ah right, well then maybe its best to leave it to the vet then. I work with horses and have experience vaccinating them and take blood samples so im used to injecting animals.

Is there anyone you know who might be able to do it for you?
    Im in Dunshaughlin myself and ive bought the vaccines in the chemist there beside Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Just wondering do you need a perscription for them and would doing it yourself be accepted by pet insurance companies and kennels???

joyce2009 wrote: »
    Just wondering do you need a perscription for them and would doing it yourself be accepted by pet insurance companies and kennels???

No, you dont need a prescription, you buy them over the counter.

I cant see how it would affect insurance or kennels as they have had the injection and you have the proof from the stickers on the bottles that you used.

Taken from the petinsure.ie website:

7.Does my pet need to be vaccinated?
    We advise that your pet receives vaccinations and boosters as recommended by your veterinary surgeon.

This only says as recommended by your vet and not actually administered by your vet.

I was told that in order to board them in a kennels it requires the vets signature alongside the vax card. This doesn't apply to me, as I don't use kennels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I was told that in order to board them in a kennels it requires the vets signature alongside the vax card. This doesn't apply to me, as I don't use kennels.

But how would they actually know its a vets signature though? Any signature would do wouldn't it?

I like my dogs to have their annual check up when they get their booster, would you still get this done, even though you're self-vaccinating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No, the chemist sells them, anyone can buy them and vaccinate their dog.
    We're prescription only where i work and under no circumstances are they given over the counter.

Also rang Unicare, their branches dont do it and said it would be POM too.

Where are these chemists that sell them?

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    But how would they actually know its a vets signature though? Any signature would do wouldn't it?

I like my dogs to have their annual check up when they get their booster, would you still get this done, even though you're self-vaccinating?

Never thought of that. :pac: The vets normally have a stamp though over the signature.

I'd be at the vets numerous times over the course of the year, so they'd have check-ups then.
    We're prescription only where i work and under no circumstances are they given over the counter.

Well mine is a country chemist, but I double checked and yes we can buy no problem.

They are in Maynooth and Dunshaughlin.

Ok, just phoned my chemist as I was a bit paranoid after reading here. They said it is no problem, that loads of people buy them. They even give you the vaccination record cards.

They only carry the 8 in 1 vaccine though, I presume this is better than the 7 in 1 that the vet spoke of?

Andrea ??? in Dunshaughlin ??? working with horses ??/ OMG Andrea ??? is it you ???

"the good good girls" . . . .. rings a bell ????

Andrea ??? in Dunshaughlin ??? working with horses ??/ OMG Andrea ??? is it you ???

"the good good girls" . . . .. rings a bell ????

Do you mean "Woo Hoo" girls?:D Could be me, not sure, lol. Do you show dogs?

ok thats not you then Andrea. thats mad though ... lol

yeah you're right I could ask my friend Andrea to vaccinate my dogs as she works with horses ... dunno if its something she does though. so you said vaccinations can be bought from pharmacy for €13 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Take the sticker off the bottles and stick them to your vaccination card.

Well ya I figured that but I meant more the signature and stamp that the vets does.

ok thats not you then Andrea. thats mad though ... lol

yeah you're right I could ask my friend Andrea to vaccinate my dogs as she works with horses ... dunno if its something she does though. so you said vaccinations can be bought from pharmacy for €13 ??

Thats bit mad alright. Depends if she vaccinates horses, if so she would be well able to do it im sure.
    Yeah they are in and around 12-13 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Well ya I figured that but I meant more the signature and stamp that the vets does.

My vet stickers, stamps and signs, but not all vets do, some of them just sign the card, so it really could be anybody, although the cards have usually got a vets' details on the back, I don't know if a kennel would accept a card without that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

They are in Maynooth and Dunshaughlin.

Which one in Maynooth? I had terrible issues getting anything veterinary based from pharmacies in Maynooth. It used to be fine but now quite a few won't give anything without a precription.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement