Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA League 2011

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

The Official Irish MMA League is back in 2011 and we have a major announcement to make!

The first event will take place in the Kingfisher Sports Center, NUI, Galway on the 12th of March (yes the same day as Cage Contender, more on that below).
    At this round we will be trialling a rule change;
    Head shots will no longer result in immediate disqualification, they will be handled the same as other illegal target strikes, e.g. a groin shot.

This is a major change to one of the fundamental tenets of the League and while I am quite nervous about it, I think it will have a positive affect on the competition. I looked at feedback from all the events and on how I think the League has changed over the years, I decided that we can keep the event safe and fun, without being as strict as we once were.
    I will post again later with examples on how the new rulings will be affected.

The MMA League is pleased to announce our new sponsor: Ultimate MMA Supplies. Big thanks to Avril for coming on board, without support like this the League would have perished long ago.

Also new in 2011; there will be an end of year prize for the CLUB with the most points in the League!
    I will begin tracking how many points each club has earned after round 1, and the winner at the end of the year will be awarded a mega prize for their gym!

As we are going out on the same day as Cage Contender, John Ferguson has kindly donated two tickets to Cage Contender VIII, which will be presented to fighter of the day at the League. Anyone thinking on competing and worried about making the event, do not fear! I have fighters on the Cage Contender card and I have no doubt that I can make it up in time to corner them, so that is a guarantee that the League will run off faster than ever before!

There are more reasons than ever to enter the League this year, so once I announce that registration is open, head on over and sign up for the safe, fun and easy way to try MMA competition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

This change in the head shot rule is a great ammendment. It's dreadful taking lads down for them to get DQ'ed for a simple jab during a level change.

I can see why the rule was there but it was administered far too harshly IMO.

I'm really glad to see this. I hope this works out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Having been a referee at the League on more than one occasion, I can tell you there's nothing worse than DQing a guy for a head shot. However, the concern always was, and it still is, that if there was a warning system in place, then the idea for guys would be "well I've got one free head shot..."

However I think this is a good move. It's good that Mark is back at work today and has found time to announce this...

I have a lot of guys whose training will centre around MMA League participation thins year, particularly younger lads. Viva la Liga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

fair play for mark taking the feedback on board and making this brave decision to change as he said, one of the fundamental principles of the league.

I definitely think, a head shot that causes at the most negligible damage to an opponent is a harsh way to get DQed so this is good news.

less DQs, more useful fights.

interested to see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

It should be at the discretion of the ref, if theres a head shot and its obviously accidental with little power in it then fair enough a warning, but what if you get some lad jabbing and busting up a guys nose etc? Wheres the line drawn? Good idea in theory but i dunnoooooooooooooo. Maybe 2 warnings and you're DQ'd? I can see murder happening over this tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Tones69 wrote: »
    It should be at the discretion of the ref, if theres a head shot and its obviously accidental with little power in it then fair enough a warning, but what if you get some lad jabbing and busting up a guys nose etc? Wheres the line drawn? Good idea in theory but i dunnoooooooooooooo. Maybe 2 warnings and you're DQ'd? I can see murder happening over this tbh

Thanks for raising this Tones69, I wanted to talk more on the criteria.

I am equating a head shot with an illegal target strike, like hitting the groin.
    If someone took an unintentional strike to the groin, the referee would warn the fighter, offer up to 5 minutes to recover to the recipient, then allow the fight to continue.
    If someone kicked a fighter intentionally in the nuts, then there would be no warning or recovery time, referee would award a DQ and the recipient wins for the other fighters rule break.

That is exactly how head shots will be handled.
    If someone takes a head shot that the referee deems unintentional, then the fighter will be warned and the recipient given recovery time if needed.
    If a fighter throws an intentional illegal punch to the face then a DQ can still result the same as in the groin strike example above.

The main change here is that light taps that are unintentional and ultimately don't bother the recipient will not get you DQ'ed, and that is the thing to remember.

The League referees will still protect fighters as our top priority and that includes all of your (not so) beautiful faces. Your looks are still as safe with us as they were last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Refs just gotta be on the ball a little more then i guess now, hope it works out, was a bit unfair at times with the immediate DQ before whether it was a hard shot or a little tip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Tones69 wrote: »
    Refs just gotta be on the ball a little more then i guess now, hope it works out, was a bit unfair at times with the immediate DQ before whether it was a hard shot or a little tip :)

You won't have to worry about that in Galway with this change.

Advertisement