Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2011, 18:38   #1
ThatFancyChap

Geography, too much effort for nothing?

Hey guys, my first topic here. Doing my leaving this year, and Geography is the only subject I'm having trouble concentrating on. It just seems like it requires a lot of work, particularly the essays, and just comes down to remembering a mountain of tiny details.
So, I'm wondering. Is my teacher just over-stressing how much is needed to be written for the exam (about 15-18 SRP's for each Long Question, and 40 for the essay) or is that really the standard expected for the exam?
Advertisement
09-01-2011, 19:13   #2
traymad

My teacher says the same, the essays should be about an A4 page and a half at least with 16(ish) SRPS
09-01-2011, 19:24   #3
Mousey-

my theacher says 15 SRPs
2 marks for each one.
also dont forget your box and title on diagrams, seems to set my teacher mad otherwise.

i never minded geography, its all common sense stuff and is fairly easy to remember once you learned it.

Last edited by Mousey-; 09-01-2011 at 19:26.
Thanks from:
09-01-2011, 19:29   #4
ThatFancyChap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey- View Post
my theacher says 15 SRPs
i never minded geography, its all common sense stuff and is fairly easy to remember once you learned it.
I don't mind some of the stuff, but the economics and the essays (I'm looking at you, soil) is just plain annoying, and uninteresting. My teacher doesn't help to make the class any more bearable either though.
09-01-2011, 20:25   #5
DaveMur1

A typical leaving cert long question in geography should contain .
15 SRP's!
These can be broken down though.
1 SRP- Naming region/action.
1 SRP-Identifying process what's happening.
1 SRP- Draw diagram,(takes alot of time wouldn't recommend unless asked for in question!)
12 SRP's-this is where you explain everything!

The essay question has a different layout pick 3 or 4 core regions!
Must be noted though that it is better to do a detailed description of 2 regions than a superficial treatment of 4.
Whichever way you pick there needs to be 24 SRP's,
3 Regions = 8 SRP's each !
4 Regions = 6 SRP's each !

Layout & timing are everything in geography don't make a balls of them!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-01-2011, 21:48   #6
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFancyChap View Post
I don't mind some of the stuff, but the economics and the essays (I'm looking at you, soil) is just plain annoying, and uninteresting. My teacher doesn't help to make the class any more bearable either though.
Am I the only person in the world that loves the Geoecology section?. Ha I love it so much. I'm in 5th year and we finished it before Christmas and I miss it already! It's really easy to learn to be honest, I got 100% in my Geoecology Christmas exam! People think i'm a freak! :L. How many soils did you study for it?. We did Brown soils and Latosols.. Is this enough?..
09-01-2011, 21:58   #7
Carl Sagan

Geography is very easy to get a high mark in so put in a little effort. The essays don't really have to be any more than an A4 page if what you wrote is of a decent quality. And remember that if you're stuck, throw in a few statistics and percentages that sound half realistic and you'll probably get a mark for them.
09-01-2011, 23:33   #8
dambarude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
Geography is very easy to get a high mark in so put in a little effort.
I'd have to disagree there, it takes an awful lot of work to do well in Geography. A lot of people were very disappointed with their grade in the subject last year- apparently it was marked very harshly.
(4) thanks from:
09-01-2011, 23:36   #9
scoll

I did Geography for the 2009 LC. Studied my ass off for it, probably did a bit of the subject everyday. It's not a subject you can just wing. Each question has a specific structured answer that they are looking for. Once you know these, it's a lot easier. There is a lot to be written though, your teacher is not exaggerating. It's such an interesting subject, got an A1 so I did! I actually miss it :/
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2011, 18:40   #10
PictureFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
Geography is very easy to get a high mark in so put in a little effort. The essays don't really have to be any more than an A4 page if what you wrote is of a decent quality. And remember that if you're stuck, throw in a few statistics and percentages that sound half realistic and you'll probably get a mark for them.
Agreed. However the timing is probably the worst thing.. You only have 12 minutes to think and write an essay A4 page with diagrams in the exam.. :/
11-01-2011, 21:35   #11
Bbbbolger

But in fairness its not like English where it has to be well worded and cohesive. You just write out a minimum of 15 points out on a page. They don't even really have to be linked. And a diagram isnt necessary; their just nady if you dont think you've written enough points and you want to ensure you've got enough!
12-01-2011, 09:56   #12
Victoria.

I took Geography last year as my extra subject outside school and got an A2 and got that much easier than I would have in HL Irish *shudder*

I was under time pressure and had to focus on the stuff that really mattered and it worked out. Geography is pretty manageable but its one of those ones that you need some sort of a plan for.

You need to get yourself a file if you already haven't done and start writing up A standard sample answers and then on the page beside it in the folder write up the bullet points in that essay without the waffle.

Do a really good field study and put some effort into it coz without a doubt I wouldn't have gotten an A without that. The average mark in that is great like 18% out of 20 or something like that so they're pretty generous so you get a good return on your effort.

Start targeting specific sections of the paper like geoecology is worth a shocking amount for what you have to learn. Biome question is always there. I did 2 soil questions for back up too. I learnt about 10 pages for that section. Nothing compared to what you'd have to do to be safe in something like regional.

In regional culture was a good one I did Belgium and India. They always ask an Irish region so know your west and greater Dublin and the sketch maps are worth loads of marks. Changing borders over time. Know a core and peripheral region in Europe for primary, secondary and tertiary industry. Paris and Dublin lots of info can be changed very little to suit both. I did a bit of India too just in case it was non European.

In physical know every diagram and simple labels coz thats always part A. Humans interacting with the rock cycle (oil and gas) or natural processes (dam on river) is always there. Landform development is always there. Sedimentary and resulting landscape is a good one and if you're stuck you can even use a limestone feature for landforms development so you get a question free. Volcanoes and earthquakes.

I didn't do the economic elective so I don't know what you should do with that one.

Best revision book I had for it was called Rapid Revision was brilliant, just all top quality sample answers

Good luck and hope this helps you out
Thanks from:
12-01-2011, 14:21   #13
Screaminmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureFrame View Post
Agreed. However the timing is probably the worst thing.. You only have 12 minutes to think and write an essay A4 page with diagrams in the exam.. :/
yes, but you can answer in bullet points, which is sooooo much easier.

Also,i found the geoecology is better if you learn off the key words and structure the answers around this. I did my leaving last year and the Geoecology is still in my head
18-01-2011, 10:31   #14
Sm4shbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminmidget View Post
yes, but you can answer in bullet points, which is sooooo much easier.

Also,i found the geoecology is better if you learn off the key words and structure the answers around this. I did my leaving last year and the Geoecology is still in my head
From what I know they prefer if you don't write your long questions in bullet points but rather an essay style format.
Bullet points are okay for notes and revision but not for the real exam
18-01-2011, 10:39   #15
Screaminmidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm4shbox View Post
From what I know they prefer if you don't write your long questions in bullet points but rather an essay style format.
Bullet points are okay for notes and revision but not for the real exam
The only question you have to answer in essay format is the essay (geoecology)
You can write the long Q's in bullet points, they will give you the marks as long as it is an S.R.P .

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion