Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo - ribs

Options
  • 05-01-2011 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭

I'm 18 and have been thinking about what tattoo to get for a long time and have decided to get a quote:

"We don't need to eat anyone who would run, swim, or fly away if he could".

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years so it means a lot to me. I'm thinking of getting it on my ribs as it's the only place I think such a long quote would look good on me. I've heard that getting a tattoo on your ribs is one of the most painful places you can get, and I'm terrified of that! Does anyone have first hand experience with rib tattoos that can give me an idea of what to expect when getting a tattoo on your ribs?

Also, I'll probably be getting it done in Waterford, anyone here get a tattoo in Waterford before and where would they recommend? I've heard a few negative reviews of Swine Line from some friends and I don't know many other tattoo parlours in Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

The ribs can be quiet tender. The amount of pain felt is down to a persons own personal pain threshold. I know of people who have sat for over 3hrs getting a rib tattoo and I have seen others give up after as little as 30mins. Be sensible, eat and sleep well before hand, talk to your artist and get their feelings on it. Some artists can be heavy handed and hurt more than others. I haven't seen much of Swinelines work but my personal preference would be JMD's in O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you think the ribs would be too sore, what do you think about getting the tattoo maybe wrapped around your side onto your back?

Joe Swash has a quote in that area and it looks pretty cool.

http://skunxtattoo.com/2008/05/31/eastenders-joe-swash-gets-tattooed/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I'm 18 and have been thinking about what tattoo to get for a long time and have decided to get a quote:

"We don't need to eat anyone who would rum, swim, or fly away if he could".

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years so it means a lot to me. I'm thinking of getting it on my ribs as it's the only place I think such a long quote would look good on me. I've heard that getting a tattoo on your ribs is one of the most painful places you can get, and I'm terrified of that! Does anyone have first hand experience with rib tattoos that can give me an idea of what to expect when getting a tattoo on your ribs?

Also, I'll probably be getting it done in Waterford, anyone here get a tattoo in Waterford before and where would they recommend? I've heard a few negative reviews of Swine Line from some friends and I don't know many other tattoo parlours in Waterford.

First thing I'd do is check the spelling
    "We don't need to eat anyone who would rum, swim, or fly away if he could"

Presume you mean run?
    You never know a ****ty tattooist could miss that

Chest will be sore as the skin is thin there, but all that aside

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Personally I found my ribs not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Before you get that quote tattoed on yourself (sounds very sexy btw),
    clafify the difference between cannibalism ("anyone") and vegetarianism ("anything").

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I haven't seen much of Swinelines work but my personal preference would be JMD's in O'Connell St.
    I've heard that place is very good actually, price-y though. But I don't need to get it right now I can wait and save up.
    ElleEm wrote: »
    If you think the ribs would be too sore, what do you think about getting the tattoo maybe wrapped around your side onto your back?

Joe Swash has a quote in that area and it looks pretty cool.

http://skunxtattoo.com/2008/05/31/eastenders-joe-swash-gets-tattooed/
    I'll definitely think about it, it just seems a bit long to fit there nicely.
    First thing I'd do is check the spelling
    "We don't need to eat anyone who would rum, swim, or fly away if he could"

Presume you mean run?
    You never know a ****ty tattooist could miss that

Chest will be sore as the skin is thin there, but all that aside

R
    Oh yeah, sorry I was typing that at 5 in the morning :P I wouldn't normally make such a mistake. Oh god, imagine having rum tattooed on me :O
    Crasp wrote: »
    Before you get that quote tattoed on yourself (sounds very sexy btw),
    clafify the difference between cannibalism ("anyone") and vegetarianism ("anything").
    I was thinking that myself actually, but that's the wording of the quote (by James Cromwell). I wouldn't feel right changing it as it wouldn't really be a quote then but I know it's not exactly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mummytotwo

I got my first tattoo along my side and ribs. It wasnt painful to be honest. The sorest part... if you could call it sore was over any stretch marks (i have two kids) it was more of an irratation than anything.

mummytotwo wrote: »
    I got my first tattoo along my side and ribs. It wasnt painful to be honest. The sorest part... if you could call it sore was over any stretch marks (i have two kids) it was more of an irratation than anything.
    Really? I've just read so many stories of how painful it is that it's freaking me out a bit. It's nice to hear I good story ever once and a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mummytotwo

I have a pretty high pain threshold though, i gave birth to my second child with just two solphodol .......

Imagine getting a biro and drawing on teh same spot over and over... its that kind of feeling. Its more annoying than anything. Talk to your tattoo artist, you'll be able to ask them to stop for a second or move to a different spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

first off , nice one on the first tattoo , secondly i would not get a tattoo until i was totally confident in the artist . you would be shocked the amount of idiots that think they can tattoo . ask the artist for snap shots of previous work in line with what you want done ie lettering .ive been going to the same guy since i was 18 im 38 now , so in a way im lucky. also dont get ripped off with the price , all this "i charge 20 euro a letter " is bollx . it all depends on how much you want done , were your getting it done and size of lettering.
    finally i would not be put off by were you want it done by a little bit of pain tbh.its all part of the fun i feel , i also find lettering the least painfull , if you are really concerned about the pain you could get it done in two sittings though this will probably cost more.
    all the best and remember to look after it after you get it done , its really important you follow the after care instructions to the letter.

oh almost forgot , i find if i pop my ipod on while im getting tattoo"s done . i find myself really relaxed in fact ive been known to drift off lol .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

mummytotwo wrote: »
    I have a pretty high pain threshold though, i gave birth to my second child with just two solphodol .......

thats pretty impressive if im honest. two solphodol . dam id take two for a hangover and still be in pain :D maybe men are really the whimps .

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

haha i first saw that quote, and was like "eh whats that even mean, that makes no sense"

then i read on and it's a great one for a veggie!!! well done on that i was a veggie for about 6 years... sadly i likes me some steak.

Got my tattoo done in JMDs, they were very nice!

go into the studios and have a chat, get a quote.

tattoos in general are painful enough but its permanent like so you'll bare through it

almanu wrote: »
    first off , nice one on the first tattoo , secondly i would not get a tattoo until i was totally confident in the artist . you would be shocked the amount of idiots that think they can tattoo . ask the artist for snap shots of previous work in line with what you want done ie lettering .ive been going to the same guy since i was 18 im 38 now , so in a way im lucky. also dont get ripped off with the price , all this "i charge 20 euro a letter " is bollx . it all depends on how much you want done , were your getting it done and size of lettering.
    finally i would not be put off by were you want it done by a little bit of pain tbh.its all part of the fun i feel , i also find lettering the least painfull , if you are really concerned about the pain you could get it done in two sittings though this will probably cost more.
    all the best and remember to look after it after you get it done , its really important you follow the after care instructions to the letter.

oh almost forgot , i find if i pop my ipod on while im getting tattoo"s done . i find myself really relaxed in fact ive been known to drift off lol .

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go around and look at a few places before I make a full decision on where to go. It might be another few minths before I actually get it done since I know good work costs a lot so I have to try save up. And that's a really good idea, I just might do that :)
    Sparkles:) wrote: »
    haha i first saw that quote, and was like "eh whats that even mean, that makes no sense"

then i read on and it's a great one for a veggie!!! well done on that i was a veggie for about 6 years... sadly i likes me some steak.

Got my tattoo done in JMDs, they were very nice!

go into the studios and have a chat, get a quote.

tattoos in general are painful enough but its permanent like so you'll bare through it
    Haha yeah if not it wouldn't really make much sense :P. What I was thinking is even if for some reason I stopped being vegetarian (even though I know that won't happen), 10 years is still a big part of my life so it still means a lot to me, ya know?
    I've heard JMDs is meant to be good alright, I may go down and have a look around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I got a rib tattoo done in JMD's a few months back and could not recommend highly enough. As for pain - it was painful but tolerable. I got a colour piece so there was a lot of tattooing over the same area. I'd imagine that writing/words would not be as bad. JMD's may be pricey but a tattoo should be viewed as an investment as your going to have it forever - so hopefully you won't suddenly get a craving for a rasher in a few years :P

I got a rib tattoo done in JMD's a few months back and could not recommend highly enough. As for pain - it was painful but tolerable. I got a colour piece so there was a lot of tattooing over the same area. I'd imagine that writing/words would not be as bad. JMD's may be pricey but a tattoo should be viewed as an investment as your going to have it forever - so hopefully you won't suddenly get a craving for a rasher in a few years :P
    Thank you, I emailed them the other day but haven't heard anything back, might just call down tomorrow or the nexy day and see if I can have a chat with someone. And my friend is getting a tattoo done tomorrow in Swine Line so I'll go with him then and look around there too. Haha doubt there's much chance of that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

That sounds like a really cool tattoo idea. Just to warn you though a lot of commercial inks contain animal derived ingredients. I'm not sure if that makes a different since you're vegetarian and not vegan but just thought I should warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Just to warn you though a lot of commercial inks contain animal derived ingredients. I'm not sure if that makes a different since you're vegetarian and not vegan but just thought I should warn you.

I didn't know that. Which derived parts are you referring to?
    Aoifey! wrote: »
    Thank you, I emailed them the other day but haven't heard anything back, might just call down tomorrow or the nexy day and see if I can have a chat with someone. And my friend is getting a tattoo done tomorrow in Swine Line so I'll go with him then and look around there too. Haha doubt there's much chance of that :P

Any updates regarding your friends tattoo in Swine Line and did you call into JMDs? On a side note a work colleague of mine also got a small tattoo in JMDs last week - very cute piece.

Just discovered the multiquote icon ----chuffed!

Advertisement