Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall kicking in Salthill

Options
  • 02-01-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Why do people kick the wall at the end of Salthill prom. Has the wall done something bad to all Galwegians in the past?

My new years resolution is to clear up all these annoying questions in my life :D

Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Uh-oh. Dr McManus is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Uh-oh. Dr McManus is back!

Who is Dr McManus???

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its a tradition started many many years ago its supposed to bring good luck to kick the wall with your foot after walking the prom.

PS Never done me any good all the times I kicked it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It knocks off some of the sand that accumulates on your shoes as you walk along the prom, thereby lightening your load for the return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

For generations people have wanted to extend the Salthill prom, so way back people started kicking that damned wall in the hope of pushing it west, thus increasing the length of the prom

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Kicking the wall was, I understand, originally introduced by the Council as a safety measure against the considerable and unexpected momentum built up by walking the entire length of the Prom. Prior to that, Prom walkers would simply slap right into the wall, having failed to begin slowdown back at the shelters, resulting in injury and embarassment, particularly if the donkey was there watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Ficheall wrote: »
    It knocks off some of the sand that accumulates on your shoes as you walk along the prom, thereby lightening your load for the return journey.

Or the dog $hit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i miss the donkey that used to be there beside the house at Blackrock. a pity the house was let fall apart, but hard for anyone to live there with the uncouth element that the place sometimes attracted.

BTW do the gays still meet up at Blackrock after dark?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Fuinseog wrote: »

Only you could turn a thread about kicking a wall halfway through a walk into this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I thought there was an underground pipe that is putting pressure on the wall, and the council had asked citizens to assist by putting some pressure in the opposite direction until such time as they could afford to fix it.

:D of course, but sure'n it's a good story to tell the Americans (who believe it), and also to tell other tourists as a warning about how the Irish tell tales to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭howyanow

i always was told it was to give you luck for the return journey,i always found it amusing showing people for the 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I respect your lifestyle choice and all but please keep this thread about the wall only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When will some enterprising graffiti artist put a montage of irish political figures on that wall, so that we gain a bit of pleasure from kicking the wall?

all that dog poo..

biko wrote: »
    I respect your lifestyle choice and all but please keep this thread about the wall only.

do they not do it agin the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

its because if they dont kick it they'll keep walking and wont stop.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Many Thanks for all the replies

I particularly like the idea of a politicians face being put on the wall but sadly the wall isn't big enough for all our useless politicians but as least the next time I'm out walking I can visualise there faces.

How far to the nearest A&E Dept, I have a lof of kicking to do:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I thought the tradition was as old as Blackrock itself, but a friend of mine used to swear up and down that he only started seeing walkers kick the wall in the 90s. He's wrong, isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Well I used kick the wall as a kid in the late 70's and 80's and that was because my parents told me it was what they had done since they were kids so no, it did not start in the 90's

snubbleste wrote: »
    When will some enterprising graffiti artist put a montage of irish political figures on that wall, so that we gain a bit of pleasure from kicking the wall?

In all seriousness, I hope never.

• Advertisement

Dunjohn wrote: »
    In all seriousness, I hope never.

hear hear

Meteoric wrote: »
    Well I used kick the wall as a kid in the late 70's and 80's and that was because my parents told me it was what they had done since they were kids so no, it did not start in the 90's

in dem days you did not question such things

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

what is wall kicking ?
    Why do people kick the wall at the end of Salthill prom. Has the wall done something bad to all Galwegians in the past?

My new years resolution is to clear up all these annoying questions in my life :D

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

in dem days you did not question such things
    Lol, actually I did, was told it was the tradition and that it signified that I'd walked the entire length of the Prom so was a way of marking the half-way point (since we always had to walk back)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

One of these days that wall is gonna start kicking people back. :eek:

what is wall kicking ? never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

what is wall kicking ? never heard of it.

Well, you kick a wall.

Only in ireland
    mars bar wrote: »
    Well, you kick a wall.

When people reach the Blackrock end of the Prom, they usually kick the wall before turning back.

Personally, I reckon it's just a way to keep your pace when you reach the end. It's not a proper tradition, just something that people "do." It's physically easier to turn on one foot and if people didn't do it, and if the wall was higher, they'd be tapping it with two fingers or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

is there any danger of the wall collapsing on top of an unlucky kicker after all the bashing it gets? This thought runs through my mind every time i roundhouse it..........

Advertisement