Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Carlow

Options
  • 28-12-2010 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi there.i recently moved to carlow and i want to attend a gym. i know that there are similar posts on this forum, but they are old. i`m curiuos in price and facilities.thank you very much.bye bye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Guys
    I am actually going to leave this thread open rather than refer to previous threads on this.
    I will then sticky it as it is the time of year that there will be alot of people looking for info on gyms etc..

Lets try keep the details along the following lines

Name:
    Website/contact info:
    Comment:

I will start with adding:

Name: Mount Wolseley
    Website/contact info: http://www.mountwolseley.ie/leisure-membership.html
    Comment: Has a good range of equipment and relatively small free weights area but includes a swimming pool and they often hold yoga and spin classes there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Name: Éire Óg
    Website/contact info: http://eireog-fitness.com/index.html
    Comment: Positive Lots of equipment - cardio and weights, free trial session, free classes, sauna & steam room
    Negative: No swimming pool, parking can be a prob if there is a match on (but I've always got a space when i go there :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irish_boy

wich one do u reccomend ?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jasdoo

McFitt gym on Barrack street is the best in carlow and they are doing an offer at the min, a full year for 200euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Huh €200 :eek: . . . Whats the Catch ? Olympia was doing similar deal but that place is falling apart

its an xmas offer. call in and have a look, this is a class gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Silly question but has anybody ever done the BJJ classes at McFit gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi guys

Good news, there is actually a bootcamp in Carlow now. I know the guy that runs it and he is involved with Sean O'Brien that plays for Leinster.

He has mostly military guys that train or Sean O' Brien himself takes a few classes. I do something similar in Dublin but by all accounts the one in Carlow is great too.. Hes actually expanding to Naas and Athy and Portlaoise too I think..

Heres a link http://www.getfitbootcamp.ie/

and no.. its not my company nor do I have anything to do with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Ok, so, OH and I decided to check out local gyms. He's very active and very interested in a gym with a pool. Went for a free trial to The Talbot last night and had a dreadful experience.

Reception-OK, staff helpful enough.

Changing Facilities- filthy, lumps of hair on the floor in the women's. General feeling of unclean.

Machines- ok. Just.

Pool- alright-long and narrrow.

Jacuzzi- TINY! I've seen bigger baths in regular houses. Comfortably fit 2.5 people. The edge plastic drain thing is all broken with water spilling all over the place.

Sauna- currently out of commission for refurbishments. From outside it looks quite small.

Steam Room- Complete joke! Our bathroom has more steam after a shower! I was cold!

We couldn't wait to get home and have a shower and wash everything we had worn there! OH made point that there are 800 lockers in the men's changing room- and yet the facilities e.g. jacuzzi can facilitate nowehere near that many people.

Currently the rates are €650 per individual with a 10% discount. Hotel Kilkenny which is 4 star, was €450 a couple of years ago and is an amazing gym.

Needless to say we won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

you can't beat the SEVEN oaks its a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for. everything works and the pool is a decent size

• Registered Users Posts: 19 colly4211

was a member in the talbot. staff not very friendly not enough free weights and no free bench.
    the olympia may be old but its deff the best around. ganni and nicole would go out of there way to help and give advice.
    so its the olympia for me

McFitts have just invested in three new pieces of equipment. A plate loaded chest press, a plate loaded shoulder press and a plate loaded seated row, all Magnum, a top american manufacturer. Not that the gym needed them, its a proper gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

jasdoo wrote: »
    McFitts have just invested in three new pieces of equipment. A plate loaded chest press, a plate loaded shoulder press and a plate loaded seated row, all Magnum, a top american manufacturer. Not that the gym needed them, its a proper gym.
    When is the gym moving over to the old Ivy rooms Jason the place must be nearly ready now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

SIX PACK wrote: »
    When is the gym moving over to the old Ivy rooms Jason the place must be nearly ready now :rolleyes:

What are they doing??
    Following Jim Lacey around? :)

Any Idea how much the rent is on the old McFitts/bowling alley is?? Would suit something I have in mind..

@ six pack. The gym isnt moving, Mcfitts is closing. I'm opening a new gym in potato market.
    @ Tom The high rent is the reason Mcfitts failed as a business.

Advertisement