Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Nomad Battery Box Mod

Options
  • 23-12-2010 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Owning a Sega Nomad, you normally have two choices if you want to run the unit from batteries. Either the official Nomad rechargeable battery, or a hollow battery box that takes AA batteries (eats would be a better term than takes really). Well, from the chap who brought us the screen mod, we also have a third option, which thankfully, is a bazillion times better than either option Sega gave us.

The Sony FP-550 rechargeable battery, miraculously fits inside the official Sega rechargeable battery box, once you exhume all of it's innards. The mod itself is so very simple, but really really effective & brings an all new dimension to the Nomad.

The bits n pieces. I also needed new male & female dc connectors, as the existing female dc adaptor was a different size to any male ones I had lying about.

2hds3tw.jpg

A closer look

9u2q3c.jpg

The official Nomad battery box opened, ready to be dismembered. The case is tightly clipped together, and as such you need a flat card to open it.

2pzxphi.jpg

Old circuits & batteries removed, the two wires that go to the output jacks are left in place.

29e0wac.jpg

The necessary plastic cut away, the Sony battery fits like a glove.

29z1k4y.jpg

New wires piggy backed onto existing wires, these will carry the power from the charger to the battery.

e5gt8p.jpg

Everything neatly placed, next step is the dc coupler.

1zu06r.jpg

The femal dc coupler soldered to the new charging wires. The center pin on the coupler should be positive, so naturally gets soldered to the wire running from the positive side of the battery. The outer rim or the coupler is negative, so no prizes for guessing which wire gets soldered to that one.

fa1o37.jpg

Everything in place, I hot glued everything down.

fawui9.jpg

Thats the battery end done, clip the top back on.

mk906u.jpg

The new male dc coupler onto one end of the charging wire. Again, center pin positive, outer rim negative.

1gq6oz.jpg

Closed up

yia2f.jpg

The other end of the charging cable gets hard-wried to the charger. According positive wire to the positive prong on the charger, & negative to negative. Again I hot glued that down for two reasons. It will never come loose, and it's also well insulated so it's very safe to use. Combined with the LCD screen mod (which has a much lower power consumption than the existing back lit one), the battery life is very, very good. The creator of the mod reckons a good 8 hours or so. SO there you have it, the Sega Nomad as it should have been.

20jg3ew.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice, saw this awhile ago but didn't buy a Nomad charging pack to mod it. I only had the standard AA battery pack. Since gave my Nomad to CiDeRmAn :)

EnterNow, yea think this mod would be doable with a standard battery pack Sega Nomad battery pack?. Are the standard and Sega official rechargeable battery pack the same depth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Nice, saw this awhile ago but didn't buy a Nomad charging pack to mod it. I only had the standard AA battery pack. Since gave my Nomad to CiDeRmAn :)

Looks like this mod should be doable with a standard battery pack. Are the standard and Sega official rechargeable battery pack the same depth?
    If so, would just need to get inventive with the DC connector for charging.

That was my exact thinking re the standard box. For this particular battery, the standard box just isn't deep enough, as the rechargeable box is a good 25% deeper. That being said, the creator of the mod states he can mod either type of box so presumeably there's a type of battery out there that fits into it. The rechargeable ones are quite cheap believe it or not, anything that old with Sega written on it normally comes at a price, but about €15/20 should buy it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's a guy in the Uk on ebay selling them. They cost about €15 delivered. Definitely worth it. I've been sitting here playing my Nomad this evening. Still haven't had to recharge it since getting it back from Enternow about a week or so ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Cool pics dude, you make it look very easy. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have all the parts now to do the battery mod.except the Sega rechargeable battery pak. Gonna try to fiddle the regular pak and see how we get on, the rechargeable pak is costing near 35 now with postage. Any tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

EnterNow wrote: »
    mk906u.jpg

It's so clean! A perfect mod. Definitely going to try this one out myself when(ever) I get a Nomad. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have all the parts now to do the battery mod.except the Sega rechargeable battery pak. Gonna try to fiddle the regular pak and see how we get on, the rechargeable pak is costing near 35 now with postage. Any tips?

The new lithium batteries that myself & o1s1n got wouldn't physically fit into the standard AA box, hence needing the Sega rechargeable pack. Well to my eye they didn't fit, & it would be one tight squeeze!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have the components now, just have to borrow Kerbdogs soldering iron and hot glue gun, and pay a visit to Maplins!

Bought my own soldering iron and hot glue gun, did the mod and it works beautifully, I can't feel the tips of my thumbs but that's a price I'm willing to pay!

Advertisement