Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spoilers - Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix

Options
  • 19-12-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=5814

Strikeforce is planning a heavyweight tournament to commence early in 2011, it has been reported.

The organisation purportedly wants its champion Alistair Overeem to take part, along with Fedor Emelianenko.

Other names in the mix, according to a Tatame report citing “reliable sources”, Fabricio Werdum, Josh Barnett, Antonio Silva, Brett Rogers, Andrei Arlovski and Sergei Kharitonov.

A fight between Fedor and Antonio Silva would reportedly go down in February 2011; Fedor’s management at M-1 Global recently said a rumoured January 29th date is definitely not happening.

Strikeforce is also reportedly hoping for a fight between Werdum and Kharitonov in March, with other prospective matches as yet-unscheduled.

The Grand Prix tournament will supposedly be divided into three stages and may even mark Strikeforce‘s debut on pay-per-view, according to Tatame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Could be good.

I'd assume Fedor and Overeem would be kept on opposite sides of the bracket as that is definitely their big money draw.

Could be good.

I'd assume Fedor and Overeem would be kept on opposite sides of the bracket as that is definitely their big money draw.

Don't you know it. I reckon there'd be a surprise though that'd throw a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Could be good.

If i was running it i honestly wouldn't, what if one of them loses? That's the big money earner right outta the window.

I'd fix the draw for a First Round Fedor v Overeem fight, that way you're guaranteed it'll happen, and you could market the rest of the series on that PPV alone

scudzilla wrote: »
    If i was running it i honestly wouldn't, what if one of them loses? That's the big money earner right outta the window.

I'd fix the draw for a First Round Fedor v Overeem fight, that way you're guaranteed it'll happen, and you could market the rest of the series on that PPV alone

I seriously doubt the winner of that will be able to fight in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Considering they were supposed to have a MW tournament as well I'll hold my excitement until it actually begins. Plus you can bet Fedor and M-1 will want to re-negotiate for every match in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I seriously doubt the winner of that will be able to fight in the next round.

Sure they will, i doubt they'll have it on the same night, in the OP it says they'd divide it into 3 stages

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sure they will, i doubt they'll have it on the same night, in the OP it says they'd divide it into 3 stages

That's how they would have to have it since the ACs aren't too fond of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    That's how they would have to have it since the ACs aren't too fond of them.

Neither am I tbh, Dream ran them early on and often worthy fighters got replaced with fighters who had been soundly beaten early on due to injury.

Even more recently in the K1 GP Peter Aerts was in no shape to fight Overeem after beating Semmy Schilt. Souring the final somewhat for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ideas like this are fantastic in theory, like the Super Six was, but negotiating with Fedor, keeping Overeem from his extra curricular activities, the other fighters fit and willing to face anyone is a tough task. UFC would not have a tournament close to this in any weight division currently. It would be a complete all or nothing move, probably leveraging the whole company on It's success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It's an exciting development/idea but like a couple of posters above, I very much doubt it will actually happen. I was a big Fedor fan for a long time but the way his management dicks around I've lost interest a little bit. Strikeforce are a bit like the boy who cried wolf since they talked up their middleweight tournament so much and then just abandoned it.

I still think they have the strongest heavyweight division in MMA but I'd rather they just try to have a consistent string of fights instead of messing around and making things harder for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Considering Strikeforce have trouble putting any type of fight together, I doubt this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would love to see this happen but most likely Strikeforce are gonna make a balls of it.

From middleeasy.com

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3506:four-fights-have-been-announced-for-strikeforces-2011-heavyweight-grand-prix&catid=35:events
    It looks like Fedor/Bigfoot is going to be the opening quarterfinal match in February 2011. I still stand by Fedor fighting at the Arnolds in March, but for now, Fedor and Bigfoot Silva are touching gloves this Black History Month. The other quarterfinal bouts are shaping up to be Werdum/Kharitonov which will go down in March. It's nice to finally see Kharitonov back in action. Rogers vs. Barnett will be added to a card that definitely wont take place in California. And finally, The Reem will take on Arvloski in a match that could have theoretically happened in the 2010 K-1 GP. TATAME is also reporting that the tourney will be divided into three stages: quarterfinal, semifinal and finals for the two of you who don't know how a tournament is structured, and starting with the semifinals, all of this will be broadcast on PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Go Sergei!! If he can keep it standing and comes in in-shape (big if), I see him beating Werdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

This actually sounds like its gonna go ahead :eek: Cmon Bigfoot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

This would be an awesome watch if it goes ahead!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    This actually sounds like its gonna go ahead :eek: Cmon Bigfoot!!

I want Bigfoot to beat Fedor as well. If Fedor wins it a guarantee they'll want to renegotiate again and hold up the tournament.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I want Bigfoot to beat Fedor as well. If Fedor wins it a guarantee they'll want to renegotiate again and hold up the tournament.

Ya, I mean, will we actually get to see Fedor fight Overeem???

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, I mean, will we actually get to see Fedor fight Overeem???

Maybe after the 20th renegotiation. I would love to see Fedor vs Alistair but I know Fedor/M-1 would stall it through renegotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Matchups look fantastic it has to be said. They have everyone there that you'd want there, and a couple of others on standby. I really hope they do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Been confirmed on Fedors promotion website:
    http://www.m-1global.com/2011/01/04/m-1-global%E2%80%99s-fedor-emelianenko-joins-elite-heavyweights-for-eight-man-single-elimination-tournament/

If only they could make them (well Fedor and Overeeem anyway ;))sign an agreement to the whole tournament now. I don't trust M1 Global not to **** about with contract negociations as it progresses.

Still what a spectacle it will be if Fedor and The Reem make it to the final. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Great article on this from MMA Fighting: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 31 adelarge1

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Go Sergei!! If he can keep it standing and comes in in-shape (big if), I see him beating Werdum.

i like kharitonov, could cause a few upsets:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kharitonov I have always had a soft spot for as do I for Arlovski, who would I rather see win Kharitonov, but I really think Arlovski will win even on recent form.

Then how does that play out :confused: It's either Fedor and the Reem or Fedor Vs someone he's battered before or.................. Fedor V Werdum !!!!! I would like to see that.

I actually want Fedor V Barnett , seeing as Josh dodged him at pride and then failed the drug test more recently, and thats the match up I'd rather see happen after the 1st round.

What ever about contracts, you can be guaranteed M1 were offered super awesome mega bucks to even consider the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

calex71 wrote: »
    Then how does that play out :confused: It's either Fedor and the Reem or Fedor Vs someone he's battered before or.................. Fedor V Werdum !!!!! I would like to see that.

2s987j8_medium.jpg

Looks like they kept the big guns on one side of the draw in the hope that they at least get a few big fights for definite. If you have Fedor and Reem on opposite sides I guess there's always the possibility that one of them won't make the final. Even being on the same side it's not certain that they will meet even though both of them will be favourites to win their first fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Where did you find the full draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kazooie wrote: »
    Where did you find the full draw?
    Most websites have the full draw now but I 1st saw it on mmafighting.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Getting pumped for this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Fedor's signed a 4-fight deal (3 fight extension?) with Strikeforce, so hopefully that's locked up nice and tight so there's no room for renegotiations mid-tournament.

This tournament is going to be unreal. It's funny, Werdum has beaten everyone on his side of the tournament and lost to the only two people he's faced on the other side - AA and Sergei. It'll be great to see how this pans out. Personally, I'm hoping for a Fedor/Barnett final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Mauro just confirmed on twitter that the belt will be be defended through out the tournament so each belt tilt will be 5rds.
    Nice :cool:

edit: Sorry.This is what Strikeforce wants.Coker says theyre still waiting commission approval

Advertisement