Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Virtual Doctor

Options
  • 17-12-2010 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My dad got a call today regarding his computer he was on to this guy for 2 hours from this so called pc virtual doctor crowd he had dad on the phone for 2 hours and had access to the computer where all he did was refresh the page (im presuming to look like he was doing something) can anyone give me advice I have looked on previous threads and had a look to uninstall any dodgy looking programs but I am worried that these people still have access and can gain access to passwords for bank account and look at any documents that have been saved to word ?? No credit card details was given thank god but I am fuming that they could now be controlling my computer thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

happydiva1 wrote: »
    My dad got a call today regarding his computer he was on to this guy for 2 hours from this so called pc virtual doctor crowd he had dad on the phone for 2 hours and had access to the computer where all he did was refresh the page (im presuming to look like he was doing something) can anyone give me advice I have looked on previous threads and had a look to uninstall any dodgy looking programs but I am worried that these people still have access and can gain access to passwords for bank account and look at any documents that have been saved to word ?? No credit card details was given thank god but I am fuming that they could now be controlling my computer thank you

Format your machine, it's the quickest way to be sure nothing is on it...this scam has been discussed many times before, how did your dad entertain this nonsense? Also, if you have any bank details on your machine....contact the bank concerned, they will monitor your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

barrackali wrote: »
    Format your machine, it's the quickest way to be sure nothing is on it...this scam has been discussed many times before, how did your dad entertain this nonsense? Also, if you have any bank details on your machine....contact the bank concerned, they will monitor your account.

Get trend micro housecall(free)
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
    Then get superantispyware and run these both....one after the other. http://www.superantispyware.com/
    This should sort you out.
    Explain to your dad bout the dangers of letting of snaky bas****s near his pc....he's waaaaay too trusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This scam is so widespread Im shocked it hasn't been covered by national media yet. Its been going on for over a year. always the same story.

You have to assume they pulled everything in the temp folders and potentially any stored password, credit card number you ever entered into a web form, etc. - not pleasant, but your dad needs to go an get all of his information on his banks and web accounts switched around. Change the passwords on his email addresses and everything with all due haste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 happydiva1

thanks guys i have spent the last hour explaining it to him!!! he feels rather foolish now doesnt want to admit it but i am delighted with the replies thanks again X

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Disable remote desktop and turn on firewall, remove any exceptions that they might have added

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Overheal wrote: »
    This scam is so widespread Im shocked it hasn't been covered by national media yet. Its been going on for over a year. always the same story.

You have to assume they pulled everything in the temp folders and potentially any stored password, credit card number you ever entered into a web form, etc. - not pleasant, but your dad needs to go an get all of his information on his banks and web accounts switched around. Change the passwords on his email addresses and everything with all due haste.

Is there not a sticky about this? Or could there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

chin_grin wrote: »
    Is there not a sticky about this? Or could there be?
    Good idea.

I think it should be as it may help the people that have not seen the existing threads on the scam.
    Unfortunately not all people are tech savy so it would certainly help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

game4it70 wrote: »
    Good idea.

I think it should be as it may help the people that have not seen the existing threads on the scam.
    Unfortunately not all people are tech savy so it would certainly help them.

This thread's fairly extensive on this subject and maybe should be a sticky?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get the pc off the internet NOW and get someone legitimate to format the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

we hear every so often in the media how computer fraudsters are collectively making 'billions' every year but things get somewhat vague after that. someone needs to ring joe duffy and start writing letters to madam in the irish times pronto and start warning people about these clowns!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 happydiva1

well we changed all passwords and got onto the banks etc... so everything is changed we ran the checks and turned off internet remote thing and formatted the pc we also uninstalled programs and ran that antispyware that was suggested we havent used that computer only the laptop this is until we get a pc legit man in to really have a closer look!!! the PC crowd called our house and I answered when I told them that the garda were monitoring and recpording their phone call i was onto the garda fraud bureau and interpol fraud and their local police the man became very abusive actually screaming down the phone thats when he lost the battle because I used my excellent choice of hormonal rage to deafen the little runt needless to say they havent called back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

happydiva1 wrote: »
    well we changed all passwords and got onto the banks etc... so everything is changed we ran the checks and turned off internet remote thing and formatted the pc we also uninstalled programs and ran that antispyware that was suggested we havent used that computer only the laptop this is until we get a pc legit man in to really have a closer look!!! the PC crowd called our house and I answered when I told them that the garda were monitoring and recpording their phone call i was onto the garda fraud bureau and interpol fraud and their local police the man became very abusive actually screaming down the phone thats when he lost the battle because I used my excellent choice of hormonal rage to deafen the little runt needless to say they havent called back

So what happened after you switched it off and on again?

Advertisement