Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Web page on the Student Union "dkitsu_fail"

Options
  • 15-12-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have recently found this New Page
    DkIT Student Union... where did it all go wrong
    http://dkitsu-fail.weebly.com/
    There is also a Facebook Page and Twitter Feed.

I am not sure what the Page is trying to achieve
    Discussion ? Editorial ? to view there general Dissatisfaction ?, or a early Election Campaign ?.

There are some interesting Point on the Page.
    If they can be verified.

What is your feelings on this ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Interesting page, some good points raised, its sad to see a union get elected on promises and then fail to implement those promises but also some unfair points like blaming the SU for someone getting stabbed.

I think highlighting issues in a constructive manner is a good thing for the college, too many unions get elected based on popularity alone and then get re elected on the same basis despite failing to implement promises.

As ever I'm sure the SU are working hard to resolve as many issues as possible though and welcome the students opinions on what they are doing, what they need to do and how they are getting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I'm not particularly up on the student elections....they need to get elected again next year, correct?

Bahahahahahaha
    ahahahahahahaha
    ahahahahahahaha

etc,etc.

They'll go the way of Fianna Fail I would think.
    Wonder if they have any links? :p

They aren't doing what they should be really though, to mention something about wireless issues so close to exam time, sure what good is that?
    I get the feeling they thought it was just a position which allowed them a comfy ride through college, as opposed to actually having to do any work.
    I know they have only been doing it for a while, but they seemingly haven't done anything other than organise a few piss ups.
    Sure what good is that to somebody who is actually interested in getting the best education they possibly can?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭focus_mad

While those people are trying to pressurise the SU into completing the promises, they perhaps should come public instead of hiding behind a "screen". it is disapointing that certain items have not been kept. We have printers throughout the college yet the lab that my year have have no connection to them.. Wifi and carparking needs to be addressed immediately I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Students arent happy in general with the college this year. The fact that the SU is slow to make contact with students in general isnt helping them.
    The big difference between luke/subash and james/david is that luke/subash seemed far more approachable and friendly. This is counting hugely against them this year.

Plus the fact that they have yet to organise a good nite out in the college (i know it wasnt all their fault) and ridleys bars people for fun. All i can say is RAG week needs to be serious if they think they will get in again

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

cc87 wrote: »
    Students arent happy in general with the college this year. The fact that the SU is slow to make contact with students in general isnt helping them.
    The big difference between luke/subash and james/david is that luke/subash seemed far more approachable and friendly. This is counting hugely against them this year.

Plus the fact that they have yet to organise a good nite out in the college (i know it wasnt all their fault) and ridleys bars people for fun. All i can say is RAG week needs to be serious if they think they will get in again

This is what is so disappointing though; if they put on a good RAG Week then people will re-elect them.
    It's disappointing that students are only concerned with this, and as a result they have the loudest voices; then the SU look after those needs rather than the academic needs of students who go to college for an education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

C-Shore wrote: »
    This is what is so disappointing though; if they put on a good RAG Week then people will re-elect them.
    It's disappointing that students are only concerned with this, and as a result they have the loudest voices; then the SU look after those needs rather than the academic needs of students who go to college for an education.

How are these academic needs not been met then ? I'm intrigued :-)

Sarge wrote: »
    How are these academic needs not been met then ? I'm intrigued :-)

Well the first thing Sarge, would be the fact that somehow you're still in college; yet as you can see from the quote above, you're grammatical skills are really lacking.
    That would be my first issue with the academics in DkIT. If you can't construct a simple sentence, what hope do you have of creating a CV as a graduate?

I would suggest that as a Mod, rather than asking me what the academic needs are, you might peruse this forum and identify the many issues students have and pass them on to James.
    But then again, the darts are on, so I'm sure that's a bigger issue for many; rather than academic issues.

Additionally, it wouldn't be fair that James wasn't given credit. It was nice to see him give an interim update for the end of semester. Particularly after suggestions from students; it's nice to see communication is improving both ways.

A second academic issue that seems quite common, particularly in the business department is the lack of dynamics in module offerings. There doesn't seem to be good representation for what graduates need, which touches on the class rep system. The main point however is that many of the methods taught are now redundant and students are not offered updated material.

But like I said, you're not the person to talk to about this. Maybe James will take a look at this or utilize the class rep system better so as to achieve greater levels of feedback on what students want regarding academics. That's what it's there for.

Well the first thing Sarge, would be the fact that somehow you're still in college; yet as you can see from the quote above, you're grammatical skills are really lacking.
    That would be my first issue with the academics in DkIT. If you can't construct a simple sentence, what hope do you have of creating a CV as a graduate?

I would suggest that as a Mod, rather than asking me what the academic needs are, you might peruse this forum and identify the many issues students have and pass them on to James.
    But then again, the darts are on, so I'm sure that's a bigger issue for many; rather than academic issues.

Additionally, it wouldn't be fair that James wasn't given credit. It was nice to see him give an interim update for the end of semester. Particularly after suggestions from students; it's nice to see communication is improving both ways.

A second academic issue that seems quite common, particularly in the business department is the lack of dynamics in module offerings. There doesn't seem to be good representation for what graduates need, which touches on the class rep system. The main point however is that many of the methods taught are now redundant and students are not offered updated material.

But like I said, you're not the person to talk to about this. Maybe James will take a look at this or utilize the class rep system better so as to achieve greater levels of feedback on what students want regarding academics. That's what it's there for.

<snip> maybe you would tell him all this yourself :-)

One more thing , I'll note your suggestion on my moderating , I'll also be very frank and say that you wont be viewing this forum again if you attempt to back-seat mod again.

Strike one.

Sarge wrote: »
    One more thing , I'll note your suggestion on my moderating , I'll also be very frank and say that you wont be viewing this forum again if you attempt to back-seat mod again.

Strike one.

Good, you can discuss the issue with admins when I report you for breach of privacy as highlighted in bold below. Just so you know.

4. What you agree to when joining Boards.ie

Boards.ie is made available for your personal, non-commercial use only, except where otherwise authorised by us.

You agree NOT to use Boards.ie to:
    • post illegal Material
    • defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
    • identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user
    • solicit personal information from anyone under 18
    • harm minors in any way
    • solicit passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes
    • collect or store other users' personal data for purposes other than establishing contact that is reasonably expected to be welcomed by such other users
    • attempt to gain unauthorised access to the Boards.ie administrative areas or interface, to user accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Boards.ie site, through password mining or any other means
    • post irrelevant Material, repeatedly post the same or similar Material or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on the Boards.ie servers or infrastructure
    • post any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional content, 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters', 'pyramid schemes', or any other form of commercial publicity
    • post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material, except where the content is appropriate to the content of the forum and you have been granted specific permission to do so and subject to our guidelines on said content
    • post Material that contains violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website
    • post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity
    • post Material that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, rights of privacy or publicity, or other proprietary right of any party
    • post Material that falsely expresses or implies that such Material is sponsored or endorsed by Boards.ie
    • post Material that contains software viruses or harmful programs including but not limited to, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel-bots, computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment
    • modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of Boards.ie, or use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of Boards.ie, except as expressly authorised in writing by Boards.ie
    • reformat or frame any portion of the web pages that are part of Boards.ie

• Advertisement

Well I did warn against back seat modding. Feel free to contact the admins , if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've snipped the name out of the conversation.

C-Shore please dont speak about moderation on thread, if you have a problem with anything please report it instead, also please font comment on anyone's grammar skills. Remember attack the post not the poster.

closing this now as it isn't going to go anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement