Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 closed at Dundrum

Options
  • 30-11-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Reports of cars being abandoned and people walking. Not sure if it's actually closed both ways, but reports that ramps and mainline are dangerous and not gritted.

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=m50

Some with pictures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Posts on Twitter
    M50 blocked off due to the griter thats on it's side. Gaurds are making everyone abandon cars cause of it. What the **** has Ireland com ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Posts on Twitter

Jaysus thats ridiculous, had a look on DCC traffic cams, but not seeing anything, looks like the images were earlier anyway.

The bloody M50 closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

the gardai are making people abandon cars because there's a gritter out on the road? what am i missing?

I gather its on its side. Bleeding typical. Those webcams haven't updated in a while they were showing daylight well after it was dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The gritter is on it's side according to some posts.

• Advertisement

The gritter is on it's side according to some posts.
    sorry, guess i misread then! now i start to wonder how the hell such things happened. guess i need to read some more!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

AA website says :
    Extremely heavy on the M50 northbound from after J13 Sandyford, where an incident is being cleared; delays remain through to Ballinteer. Southbound delays on the M50 are from J12 Firhouse to J13 Ballinteer. The road has been gritted. Gardai are advising motorists to avoid unneccessary journeys.

someones hyping up nothing or the aa are way off the mark. which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

i live very near there and walked over the bridge over the m50 north on-ramp at ballinteer about half an hour ago.. it's moving slowly, but steadily. no sign of any blockage or specific obstruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

Random wrote: »
    someones hyping up nothing or the aa are way off the mark. which is it?

I can see the traffic from my house,
    Northbound traffic has been backed solid up since 5 this evening,
    its still backed up right but seems to be moving very very slowly
    I cant see any abandoned cars but did see 4 or 5 people walking up the middle about an hour ago.

Southbound traffic lane is clear, traffic slowely but ok/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

It's an absolute mess. Gardai out in force with the chopper. Snow plows and gritters everywhere.

There tailbacks from Sandyford to Blackrock and Dun Laoighaire as far as I can see and the m50 is crawling.

The snow is back as well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I feel their pain ,was almost 5 hours on the Southbound exit at Blanch last January the Wednesday it snowed really badly. Hope its a one off and not more of the same the next few nights/couple of months :(

Absolutely ridiculous if the busiest road in the country doesn't attract the most attention from the council to keep it clear and moving. Same thing happened last time people spent countless hours going nowhere and STILL THEY HAVEN'T LEARNED A LESSON.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just back in Stepaside from work in Kimmage. Left at 5:40 - went via churchtown - dundrum as I heard m50 was blocked from my colleagues.

It was insane - most people going backwards - RWD Vans in walls. A guy in a rwd bmw infront of me reversing home... (I wish I took a pic now)

A car coming out his gate and sliding into my driver door.

glad to be home be damned if im leaving again!

6 inches of snow and a freeze and the city is in bits....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

on the ball plasmoid

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Theres a Woman having a Baby on the M50 Southbound :confused: (not joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Got on the M50 at Dundrum just as the fun was starting at about 16:45.

Started with a Tesco lorry getting stuck going up the north bound ramp! Was only 5 or 6 cars behind it when it got stuck. Got by easily enough thank god.

smokie2008 wrote: »
    Theres a Woman having a Baby on the M50 Southbound :confused: (not joking)

You serious, where did you hear that??!?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

`
    She can get free nappies of the Tesco truck now...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

I have someone who can help
    homer-simpson-20081017022027774-000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Absolutely ridiculous if the busiest road in the country doesn't attract the most attention from the council to keep it clear and moving. Same thing happened last time people spent countless hours going nowhere and STILL THEY HAVEN'T LEARNED A LESSON.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I've seen gritters on it all the time. It's started snowing really heavily around peak traffic hours today so i put down the chaos to people who can't drive and have never bothered to learn how to drive in snow/ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

It was insane - most people going backwards - RWD Vans in walls. A guy in a rwd bmw infront of me reversing home... (I wish I took a pic now)

Lol... wish you had that pic too. I can just picture it, trying to avoid eye contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

My mate works in Roadwatch the guards were on to them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

took gf 3hr 10 mins to go from Carrickmines to M1 junction, 2h 30m of that clearing Dundrum.

Fire Engine came along at one point, guys were out on foot forcing people onto the central margin to get though :rolleyes:

took gf 3hr 10 mins to go from Carrickmines to M1 junction, 2h 30m of that clearing Dundrum.

Fire Engine came along at one point, guys were out on foot forcing people onto the central margin to get though :rolleyes:

That could have been for the poor lady giving birth in the car, DFB are EMT's too. Why you rolling your eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That could have been for the poor lady giving birth in the car, DFB are EMT's too. Why you rolling your eyes?

just the ridiculousness of it all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

For god sake that's just typical of this banana republic right now. Hope that woman and her baby are ok.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I've seen gritters on it all the time. It's started snowing really heavily around peak traffic hours today so i put down the chaos to people who can't drive and have never bothered to learn how to drive in snow/ice.

My point is it should be kept open and in good condition at all times not as an after thought. They should be proactive not reactive. This section is the highest section of the M50 therefore the most prone to ice and snow conditions. The section underneath the Blanch exit should also be targeted due to the slopes either side. The rest is mainly flat. Its not rocket science yet they never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm glad I took this week off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

civil servant? :D

Advertisement