Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres On Emergency Vehicles

Options
  • 29-11-2010 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, Just a quick question.

What type of tyres are used on Garda Traffic Corps vehicles. Any brand in particular provide better performance than any other. Or is it a major consideration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

gogowest wrote: »
    Hi, Just a quick question.

What type of tyres are used on Garda Traffic Corps vehicles. Any brand in particular provide better performance than any other. Or is it a major consideration?

Don't mention the war! There was a lot of hassle about this a few years ago - not sure if quality came into it, but there was much discussion on price...

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/vfmreports/vfm-gardatyres.pdf

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tyre-firm-challenges-watchdog-on-garda-fleet-costs-324163.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0108/gardai.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Indeed , something of a raw nerve there - all sorts of allegations of ' unhealthy ' relations between supplier and purchaser....

OP , to answer your question my guess is that it's just bog standard tyres where price is the main consideration , someone who knows for sure may know something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

I think the OP was referring to brands and related performance rather than procurement procedures.
    Tyres isnt really something you want to scrimp on but with the high rate of change they probably have it wouldnt surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

We usually fit Continentals or Dunlops they have to be a good brand name with the same make of tyre on the same axle.

And the minimum thread depth is 3mm.

Hope this is of some use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

*SNIP*

Garda cars do mileage in one year that many private cars wouldn't rack up over their lifetimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Dunlop is the sole provider for AGS at present for Traffic Vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

NAS have a 3mm thread depth limit.

As far as I am aware we are meant to use only Bridgestone tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

*SNIP*

Garda cars do mileage in one year that many private cars wouldn't rack up over their lifetimes.

To be fair, I didn't say anything in the first part of my post which isn't in the public domain.

The second element, which you left untouched, is less likely to be verified.

I don't mind you deleting what you did though because, as said, it is public knowled-g-e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Infracted.

No discussion of moderator actions permitted.

No further comment on this post please and thanks.

Back on topic please.

To be fair, I didn't say anything in the first part of my post which isn't in the public domain.

The second element, which you left untouched, is less likely to be verified.

I don't mind you deleting what you did though because, as said, it is public knowled-g-e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Do they stick winter tyres on the Traffic Corps cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

duckysauce wrote: »
    Do they stick winter tyres on the Traffic Corps cars?

They don't stock em in ireland. We don't have long enough "winter"(i.e Ice and snow for more than 4 weeks) periods.
    If you put them on when there isnt ice and snow they wear down in a matter of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

they do stock them in Ireland have a goo at the motoring forum ,(last dec-jan/feb roads in west were a block of ice, winters are getting worse) looks like you can use them in summer too , but not good in the wet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

they do stock them in Ireland have a goo at the motoring forum ,(last dec-jan/feb roads in west were a block of ice, winters are getting worse) looks like you can use them in summer too , but not good in the wet :pac:

Thats interesting. When I spoke to the distributors in 2007 nobody was carrying them.
    P.S I live in ireland too, I was here last winter.:cool:

2 Bad winters in a row doesn't mean things are getting worse.

1963?
    1981/82
    2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Have a read - winter tyres are designed for use under 7C (due to softer rubber compound used) - which is half of the year in Ireland. Snow/Ice isn't what defines winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

Have a read - winter tyres are designed for use under 7C (due to softer rubber compound used) - which is half of the year in Ireland. Snow/Ice isn't what defines winter.

True winter tyres are a softer compound and don't freeze or harden. But if temps are up the tyres will disintegrate if not on ice or snow

Advertisement