Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange flashes over the country??

Options
  • 27-11-2010 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

any one else see em? most were seen over dublin.. no thunder, and very little cloud.. so not lightning, and its definitely not fire works if it can be seen from monaghan. i myself seen a few, driving through in slane, seen em over dublin. huge blue flashes, alot like lightning but just.. brighter ha... but yeah.. anyone see anything??

Ted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's a thread here, it's lightning, the thunder just wasn't very loud for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ted.

i heard nothing? hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa machine gun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My hubbie and pal just camefromNavan to Dublin, just checking boards here to see if anyone else saw anything, both seriously doubted lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Its lightening. It could be sheet lighting. What happens sometimes is that when its very cloudy the lighting will strike but will spread out and reflect in the clouds giving the effect of the sky lighting up and as light can travel fast and far it would not necessarily have a sound the further out it went from the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

It's most likely city flash. Electrical discharging. Look it up. Please!

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

There's no way it can be lightning it's definitely aliens, I saw a movie like this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 micsvilla

saw the same blue flashes while traveling along m7 at 2.30am .the night sky was clear not a cloud insight the car was reading -3c there was no sound to indicate thunder and the distance travelled ruled out blown transformer.maybe it was jim corr getting to work!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 P.Con

i dont know if it was lightning.? i saw them too, big blue flashes and there was NO clouds in the sky when i saw them.. was a very clear night..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

P.Con wrote: »
    i dont know if it was lightning.? i saw them too, big blue flashes and there was NO clouds in the sky when i saw them.. was a very clear night..

Facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mz Lazy

Seen them myself last night at about 10pm last night and more at about 3am, no clouds whatsoever too, was chatting to some friends and they've all seen em too, been happening for a while, not just last night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I was out working last night and it was definately lightning, fork lightning.

I didn't know what it was at first as it just looked like a big flash, but the later it got, 3-4am, you could definately see the forks, it was amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Sheet lightning for the last couple of nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I saw it starting from about 12:00 to about 8 tis morning.In every ten to five minute intervals.

Lightnings_sequence_2_animation.gif

It looked nothing like that.

It was lightning, anyone who claims otherwise is a deluded idiot. Im sorry but there is only a certain level of collective stupidity I can take.

Flashes in the skty and rumbling thunder along with a snow storm over the Irish sea. Must have been aliens. :rolleyes:

And for everyone who said there wasnt a cloud in the sky, where did all the snow come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Grimes wrote: »
    And for everyone who said there wasnt a cloud in the sky, where did all the snow come from?

There was no snow here and the lightning was right overheard with no thunder and the sky was clear. I know it was clear because I spent a good bit of time stargazing last night. I know it was just lightning but it's a bit stupid going on about how stupid everyone is and saying things that don't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

It was lightning, anyone who claims otherwise is a deluded idiot.

Actually made me lol. Now everyone in the library thinks I'm crazy :D

Though to be fair, I was playing Fallout at the time, for a second I genuinely thought it was a nuclear holocaust. But that's 4am for ya.

amacachi wrote: »
    There was no snow here and the lightning was right overheard with no thunder and the sky was clear. I know it was clear because I spent a good bit of time stargazing last night. I know it was just lightning but it's a bit stupid going on about how stupid everyone is and saying things that don't apply.

There was a storm last night a few miles off the east coast, the storm moved in over Bray, cars were left abandoned and later in the night it was over Dublin. Dublin is covered in snow. The cloud was so thick it was acting as a sort of massive "flash gun" causing the sky to light up for miles around outside the cover of the cloud. There was a good 20 seconds between the flash and the thunder early in the night. At about 5am there was only a few seconds as the clouds came over the city.

I really dont see why this thread is in the paranormal forum and I dont see how anyone could possibly say "I dont think this was lightning", like some over the other posters in this thread.

If you check any of the weather sattelites from last night you will see the cloud moving along the east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I really dont see why this thread is in the paranormal forum and I dont see how anyone could possibly say "I dont think this was lightning", like some over the other posters in this thread.
    In fairness if you're going to lose "logic" there's not gonna be many posts in this forum. :pac:
    If you check any of the weather sattelites from last night you will see the cloud moving along the east coast.
    Yeah but in other forums people a good bit inland had it with clear skies. It's an odd effect and I know it's just an illusion more than anything else, but it'd be better to explain that than call everyone stupid. :)

amacachi wrote: »
    In fairness if you're going to lose "logic" there's not gonna be many posts in this forum. :pac:

Yeah but in other forums people a good bit inland had it with clear skies. It's an odd effect and I know it's just an illusion more than anything else, but it'd be better to explain that than call everyone stupid. :)

In all fairness its explained in the weather forum, this is the paranormal forum. The presence of this thread in this forum indicates a discussion based on possible extra terrestrial origins for the lights and people have said "I dont think it was lightning" which is causing me to bang my head against the keyboard here because there are people who actually thought it wasnt a mere meterological event :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Here is a video from the weather forum showing last nights storm

• Advertisement

I thought it was a meteor shower at one stage.

In all fairness its explained in the weather forum, this is the paranormal forum. The presence of this thread in this forum indicates a discussion based on possible extra terrestrial origins for the lights and people have said "I dont think it was lightning" which is causing me to bang my head against the keyboard here because there are people who actually thought it wasnt a mere meterological event :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Here is a video from the weather forum showing last nights storm

I dont understand why it bothers you what people believe or dont believe it was.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6c07v8kfM

caseyann wrote: »
    I dont understand why it bothers you what people believe or dont believe it was.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO6c07v8kfM

It dosnt bother me, it worries me.

you really think it was Stephen Spielberg and Tom Cruise over the sky with a CGI technician?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Guys i think these flashing lights was "lightning"

see the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning

It dosnt bother me, it worries me.

Why would it worry you? lol

caseyann wrote: »
    Why would it worry you? lol

It worries me that some people seem to be stuck in the prehistoric belief that flashes and loud noises from the sky must be some higher form of existence rather than a natural meterological event. Its the 21st century for God's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

well i thought it was speed cameras being set off :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Spook80

its GOD taking pictures of the snow :pac:

No but seriously its lightning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Guys, you are all paranoid if you think this is paranormal - it is blue lightning. The lightning is a result of very low uppers and a warmer sea temperture, ice particles rubbing together. This is also the reason for the blue hue. I'm sure this is easily visible from inland, due to the clear cold air, which might explain why you cant hear thunder, but ask anyone on the east cost, they have been sitting under this for the past few days while this thundersnow was being pushed in from the Irish Sea...

Advertisement