Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc running cable under garden

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

I have been contacted by UPC to ask if they could run a cable under my front garden and up the drainpipe to a distribution point which is attached to my house. Says it's for the digital upgrade. They initially offered me free analogue tv even though I don't have tv with them, only BB. I told them I would think about it and rang back and asked for the digital service (1 euro difference) and he said he would ask and find out.
    Has this happened to anyone and is it a good idea to let go ahead? Should I push for more or should I be happy with the digital tv? Should I have always had a free service seeing as this has been attached to my house since I bought? We did have free cable for a few years but not since about 2005.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sweetie wrote: »
    I have been contacted by UPC to ask if they could run a cable under my front garden and up the drainpipe to a distribution point which is attached to my house. Says it's for the digital upgrade. They initially offered me free analogue tv even though I don't have tv with them, only BB. I told them I would think about it and rang back and asked for the digital service (1 euro difference) and he said he would ask and find out.
    Has this happened to anyone and is it a good idea to let go ahead? Should I push for more or should I be happy with the digital tv? Should I have always had a free service seeing as this has been attached to my house since I bought? We did have free cable for a few years but not since about 2005.
    Free digital seems reasonable, considering that analogue is close to extinction.

Free TV for life (or as long as you're living there) is the standard compensation for a UPC wayleave agreement.

In general, only the person living in the house at the time that the cable has been attached, gets the free service. When you sell the house, the wayleave agreement is in place and there's nothing the new owner can do about it, so they usually don't get to "inherit" the free TV agreement.

[Edit:
    I would also include an airtight agreement about repairs to your garden when they're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I would go for there 3 in 1 package

digital TV
    Broadband
    Phone, (pay only for calls)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

sweetie wrote: »

Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago when they were installing the new fiber cables in our area. The engineer said that as we live in the end house they'll need to run a cable over our garden to the house behind.

We got offered half price analogue (€15 /month) which we took. When I upgraded to digital the same discount carried over (€15 /month). So it shouldnt be a problem to just pay the extra euro to get digitial.

Take what they're offering now as it looks a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I have the same situation, cables ducted up side of garden and up front of house ..
    I got free basic TV for life, €25 per month ..
    Initially they only offered me half price and then eventually went to full price ..
    He told me it was the most that they could offer and if I wouldn't take it, he would just keep trying the neighbours till he got someone who would ..
    I have the max-pack with a few hd boxes, but the €25 discount come off the total bill ...

Advertisement