Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website issues?

Options
  • 22-11-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else having very slow page loading times and errors or is it just me?

Is it caused by a noticeable increase in traffic?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Been pretty slow for me this evening,most likely due to all the extra traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

AH atm
    654 (200 members & 454 guests), lots of lurkers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

got a 503 there a few mins ago. Conor said before that the amount of people on the site doesn't matter, it's how many pages are being fetched.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

biko wrote: »
    AH atm
    654 (200 members & 454 guests), lots of lurkers :)

Someone said we had 1500 on AH last night but I never saw it go over 1100. It was slow as feck then too.

got a few more 503's there as well as being logged out automatically even though i wasn't inactive, was just switching between forums. seeming very slow this evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I notice anytime there is a statement/rumour of statement by the govt, the site gets seriously slow and also times out with page loads!

Nearly 7000 online now, can the website handle lets say 10,000 users constantly trying to contribute to the latest events in a given hour? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

At peak today (around 10pm-ish), there were just short of 8,000 people on the site.

The last time we saw those kind of numbers it was when Gerry Ryan died and the site pretty much died for about 30 minutes. Bad as it was tonight, it's quite an improvement.

It's not clear exactly why the site was slow this evening (and I was late getting to it since I'm actually on holidays this week! :)), but Ross and I will definitely go over the data and remove whatever bottlenecks we find. It's pretty hard to find those before they cause an issue, since simulating the exact behaviour of thousands of users is surprisingly tricky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've noticed it ALWAYS happens as of late on Sunday nights.
    Its been like this for over four, five weeks.

Same ruddy fault!

capturecfy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So we're blaming the Pope?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Overheal wrote: »
    So we're blaming the Pope?
    Well, if it comes to communion, is he a bad server? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yeah, its totally borked.

time for another hamster in the wheel

I've done some poking.

I'm still watching.

Things should be a little bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Definite improvement Conor, for me anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Yeah it's improved for me in the last few minutes as well.

I'm in Dublin 3 if that makes any difference at all :confused:

still getting a few here, but nowhere as bad as earlier, prob everyone on about x factor :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Still running very slow for me with pages not loading

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As Des pointed out on another thread, there's a huge amount of people on the weather forum, 800 or so as I type

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like the weather lurkers are bringing things to a standstill again . . . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Problems here two. Every second refresh fails. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There were 1050 people viewing the Weather forum a few minutes ago!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Quick, delete the weather forum and replace it with a page saying:

"Yes, it will snow and be cold"

It's not the weather forum.

The machines have plenty of spare capacity, but we're dropping connections somewhere. It could be a network issue, or it could be an issue with our load balancer (although both appear to be fine).

When we fix it, you'll notice. If we don't, you'll also notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It's the IMF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Conor wrote: »
    When we fix it, you'll notice. If we don't, you'll also notice.

Never were there wiser words spoken.

I was just about to say, I've had issues all "evening" (my morning GMT-8) but I haven't had to hit refresh in the past 5 minutes.

Thanks Conor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Conor wrote: »
    .. it could be an issue with our load balancer (although both appear to be fine).

I was thinking 'load balancer' too.

Maybe throw an old beermat or two under one of the legs, sort that baby right out.

Don't worry about it though, it's times like these that make us appreciate it all the more when everything is running fast and smooth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Something's wrong with the G-Diffuser! Do a barrel roll!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sooooo sloooow! Am constantly getting "connection timed out" messages yesterday and this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I was thinking 'load balancer' too.

Maybe throw an old beermat or two under one of the legs, sort that baby right out.

Loan imbalance methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If its any help in your quest this has also been happening on mobile Boards for the last month or so. About 20% of time when I click on a forum/thread etc. I get 'invalid response' (it last happened when I went to page 2 of this thread). It usually sorts itself after about three attempts. Im on Vodafone Mobile and have no problems with any other sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Anytime I load a page, its 'sending request' for a few seconds and then it decides if the page will load or not. Earlier I loaded about 5 pages via tabs in succession, they wouldn't load. But when I started all over again using new tabs they loaded, its just weird.

Advertisement