Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Dreamcast Overclock

Options
  • 22-11-2010 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't going to bother posting this, but o1s1n expressed an interest in seeing what was done. It's also been deathly quiet in here the last two days so I thought why not!

Basically the premise is simple. Lift the existing pin that supplies 33.33Mhz to the Dreamcast's multiplier & supply a new clock speed to where the lifted pin was soldered. The Dreamcast has an internal multipler of x6, giving the original clock a speed of 200Mhz (33.33Mhx x6 = 199.98Mhz). This particular mod supplies a new clock of 40Mhz, totalling out at 240Mhz (40 x6 = 240Mhz).

There's a nice little spot beside the internal oscialltor to put the faster oscillator, meaning the connecting wire can be nice & short. This prevents any problems with a degrading clock signal, something I learned while doing the Megadrive overclock mod. So that's basically it, reports indicate the slowdown in affected games is reduced, and as it's only a 40Mhz improvement, additional cooling or extra power needs arn't an issue.

The relevant pin is lifted here, and a new wire about to be soldered to the pad where the lifted pin was.

5etrwz.jpg

Wire in place, the other end is soldered to the relevant pin on the ner oscillator. 5v & ground are then applied to the relevant pins on the oscillator also, before insulating it (they are made of metal after all :)). 5v and ground and readily available on the PSU pins in the background.

eb7q1k.jpg

Thats more or less it, reassemble & test. It's not the most difficult pin to lift, with the pin on the Megadrive 2 being a lot smaller (region & language mod).

Thats it folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You'd want to be careful, or the yanks will think you're building IEDs!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for that! Always nice to see what's going on inside.

So the pin wasn't nearly as small as the Megadrive one? That's great. From what you were saying I thought it was going to require a tweezers and a magnifying glass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Always nice to see what's going on inside.

So the pin wasn't nearly as small as the Megadrive one? That's great. From what you were saying I thought it was going to require a tweezers and a magnifying glass!

Yeah me too :D I think I had it in my head that the new clock was to go direct to the CPU as in the case of the Megadrive. Here it simply piggy-backs along the existing trace on the motherboard so happy days :)

Advertisement