Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All The Way Round 2011 Charity Drive Logo

Options
  • 18-11-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

RopeDrink has kindly allowed me to post in here again for our 2011 logo for the All The Way Round charity drive in aid of Barretstown.

A bit of background, in 2010 thirteen people from Boards.ie traveled around the country in 3 days in 9 cars in aid of Barretstown, we covered almost 1400km in a hard 3 days of grueling driving but it was very much worth it to raise €6627 for the charity.

Last year we ran a competition on this forum to help create our logo and in the end DonkeyStyle \o/ won with the excellent effort posted below.

This year we want to run a similar competition, except this time we simply want to "spruce up" the logo for 2011.

So what we want is to use the same logo below as but make it stand out a bit more so that its different in such a way that people will not pass it off as an old log.

Basically we want:

To add 2011 to the logo.
    To give the logo more depth
    To have the logo jump out and grab you a bit more

Basically how would you make what is already an excellent logo even better while still keeping it recognisable?

Logo:
    atwrlogo.png

We are a strictly non profit event so we cant offer much in terms of a prize but the winning logo will be placed on press releases, website, signatures and cars. And credit will be given to both DonkeyStyle \o/ for the base logo and whoever makes the winning changes.

So any takers? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Great cause and I'm glad you're doing it again. Ill have a bash at this tomorrow or over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Whiplash

How about this?

allthewayround2011.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Have you any photos of where it was used/printed? Would help people immensely to see the context that you guys used the logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Whiplash wrote: »
    How about this?

A little less emphasis on the 2011 and keep the ATWR text and logo much more crisp and clear and clear.
    p wrote: »
    Have you any photos of where it was used/printed? Would help people immensely to see the context that you guys used the logo.

Sure, here is a pic of how the logo was used on the cars last year.

2FB64F88EF0944CA9618CDDE53812B71-800.jpg

F85393EE612C4C69808C5187EC953DDA-800.jpg

ok two more ideas

atwrlogoidea2.png

atwrlogoglow.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

draffodx wrote: »
    Basically we want:

To add 2011 to the logo.
    Yup
    Hope this doesn't mean bevels, embossing, textures, 3D effects etc. as those kinds of effects usually detract from a logo.
    To have the logo jump out and grab you a bit more
    You want it to be simple (for different format and size purposes: posters, stickers etc.), eye-catching, memorable, recognisable and apt to your activity.

Personally, bar the year, I don't think you should change anything, except perhaps thicken the curves a bit as any major change will affect the consistency of your brand - this is important.

Also it ain't broke.

\my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tricky D wrote: »
    except perhaps thicken the curves a bit
    Yep, I think the problem with the full/car logo last time was that it got lost against the white background... the first thing you notice, especially from a distance, is a white circle. The white sticker on a dark coloured car just 'pops' so much that it drowns out what's actually on the sticker.
    And the two circles around the edge really robbed a lot of important space, forced the logos down in size and made them even more lost.
    Some lessons learned I guess.
    I'm not sure what you mean... like a 3d effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Could you provide us with a vector file?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

peejay1986 wrote: »

Not sure if this is of any use to you, hopefully it is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Here's my effort.
    I quite like the logo and didn't want to change it too much.

Added an inner glow to the geometry and a subtle drop shadow to the text.

attachment.php?attachmentid=135723&stc=1&d=1290339132

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Here's my effort.

that looks good! it has 2011 and it keeps the original logo. i cant wait til next symester so i can learn to use photoshop properly!:P

I used Illustrator, way better for this kind of work TBH.

illustrator is software i havent really used. Its something i must do because i have the adone suite, its just a matter of installing it. the logo looks awesome. it would be the one i'd pick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

where did you learn illustartor?

don't want to drag it OT but it could help people produce ideas if there were suggestions of online help etc

I'd highly recommend the Photoshop User TV podcasts. They're excellent for learning PS in addition to any course you're taking. Illustrator is deceptively similar to PS in its layout but is a very different beast. It's almost more like a 2d version of a 3D modelling program than being like photoshop. Indeed there are even 3D extrusion tools in Illustrator.

Try doing up a graph in excel and copying it directly into an empty document in Illustrator. Hit ctrl+Y see the "wireframe" and then use the selection tools to see how paths, anchors and clipping masks are affected.

Its also have plotting tools of it's own but this will show you, to some degree, how vector graphics differ from rastor.

alexlyons wrote: »
    where did you learn illustartor?

don't want to drag it OT but it could help people produce ideas if there were suggestions of online help etc

Picked a lot of it up myself when writing up my PhD and editing plots from Matlab but also from various online tutorials. Adobe's own help is also very good.

Or if you can't afford the 17 billion dollars for Illustrator :pac:, you can use Inkscape for free, which is what I used.
    It doesn't have all the features of Illustrator, but it does the job for the most part. Illustrator can import SVG files too, so you can make something in inkscape and hand if off to someone with illustrator for tweaks or colour management, etc.

+1, tho it can't open eps unfortunately iirc.

tricky D wrote: »
    Yup

Hope this doesn't mean bevels, embossing, textures, 3D effects etc. as those kinds of effects usually detract from a logo.

You want it to be simple (for different format and size purposes: posters, stickers etc.), eye-catching, memorable, recognisable and apt to your activity.

Personally, bar the year, I don't think you should change anything, except perhaps thicken the curves a bit as any major change will affect the consistency of your brand - this is important.

Also it ain't broke.

\my 2c

Yes I agree, it should be kept simple, and I agree that adding bevels, 3d effects or the likes are too fussy, I guess depth is the wrong word, we basically want it to be the same but slightly different so that when its put in signatures that people dont pass the logo off as something from last year.
    Yep, I think the problem with the full/car logo last time was that it got lost against the white background... the first thing you notice, especially from a distance, is a white circle. The white sticker on a dark coloured car just 'pops' so much that it drowns out what's actually on the sticker.
    And the two circles around the edge really robbed a lot of important space, forced the logos down in size and made them even more lost.
    Some lessons learned I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean... like a 3d effect?

sorry, as above depth is the wrong word, more in terms of it should stand out on its own as something new but keep the logo mainly the same.

5uspect's effort is excellent and on the right line of what we want :)

Should be an svg file attached

Maybe this is too much of a departure from the original, but it's more simple and bold. It's also less wide, and a little more centered around the text.

atwr2011_01.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Here's my effort.

If you could somehow make the 2011 appear in the same style of font rather than a 2 followed by 011 then for me that would be an excellent logo, and pretty close to what we were hoping for.
    Maybe this is too much of a departure from the original, but it's more simple and bold. It's also less wide, and a little more centered around the text.

atwr2011_01.png
    I love how this is so simple and Bold whilst also leaving it easily customizable to changing the year in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭peejay1986

atwr2011_01.png

Think this is really nice. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the way the '2011' is on a separate 'box' to the rest of the text. Looks isolated and I'm not sure why this is done. I think ,erging that bit on to the bottom of the box would look well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Here's my effort.

change the all the way 'round to the blue you've used for the 2011. Use the same font for all 4 numbers and make them white and I think that'd be it.

atwr2011_01.png

Can I see a reversed colour code on that? Make the car blue and the text orange?

Excellent suggestion by all. Fair play. :)

Mozoltov! wrote: »
    change the all the way 'round to the blue you've used for the 2011. Use the same font for all 4 numbers and make them white and I think that'd be it.

No!!!! The ATWR text should remain black and the "wheel" blue if possible, and white cant be used as it wont be able to be seen against the white of the stickers. ;)

No!!!! The ATWR text should remain black and the "wheel" blue if possible, and white cant be used as it wont be able to be seen against the white of the stickers. ;)
    Outline it in black. That way it'd be highlighted against the white of the stickers.

Think this is really nice. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the way the '2011' is on a separate 'box' to the rest of the text. Looks isolated and I'm not sure why this is done.
    Thanks.
    If you follow the blue line all the way round ( :pac: ) the car, pretend it's going behind the car, that box at the bottom is where it'd re-emerge... it's also a smaller / more distant version of the foreground box that holds the main text. That was the thinking behind it, but I suppose if you have to explain it... :o
    Maybe re-introducing the yellow colour would make the connection between the blue areas more clear.
    Can I see a reversed colour code on that? Make the car blue and the text orange?
    Yeah I'll pick this up again later and do some more variants. I want to bring the yellow back in somehow too, but it might be too complex then.

I wonder can we combine the two logos?

So on DonkeyStyle's put "All the way" above Round as in the original and put the 2011 where I have it to mimic a rear wheel of some sort. Make 2011 white also to cut out the blue as with the text above but maybe add an inner shadow for depth.

The inner glow and drop shadow then would be an option.

I'll try to get it done tonight.

Here's the switched colours version. I've also brought in a yellow streak for more colour... not sure about it, but it's a little more interesting.
    atwr2011_02.png

I can't help but think it's missing something compared to last years. Can't place it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If you can try ignore the quality of this as it was done on MS Paint, I think this would be a really good layout for the logo. I'd change the 1s on it though to be more in line with the 2 and the 0.
    atwr.bmp

Advertisement