Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook not working with UPC broaband

Options
  • 16-11-2010 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My mum recently got UPC broadband installed in her home and ever since then nobody can access their facebook account with it. She used to have Perlico and it worked fine with that.

It's one of the CISCO EPC2425 modems. I have the same and facebook works fine on my connection yet when I or any of the family try to log on here, it will let you log on but not post anything and brings up a spam or abusive text warning.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Are all of ye trying the same pc?

It sounds like you have a virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No, three different laptops and one UPC connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

No, three different laptops and one UPC connection.

Just to be clear, are you saying :

1. Your Mum's house. Multiple computers all exhibit the same symptom on your Mum's UPC broadband whereby if you login into any Facebook account using any machine in the house then "it will let you log on but not post anything and brings up a spam or abusive text warning."

2. One or more of these same machines work fine in Facebook if they are connected to another UPC/other broadband connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Does the Facebook page even load? Is it replaced with a 404 not found type error or just blank?

Facebook does work on UPC, they don't block it, and unless there's something up with your particular IP address that Facebook aren't letting you get on the site, then there's no reason it shouldn't be working.

In a Dos command prompt, try a traceroute to Facebook. Type; tracert www.facebook.com

bhickey wrote: »
    Just to be clear, are you saying :

1. Your Mum's house. Multiple computers all exhibit the same symptom on your Mum's UPC broadband whereby if you login into any Facebook account using any machine in the house then "it will let you log on but not post anything and brings up a spam or abusive text warning."

2. One or more of these same machines work fine in Facebook if they are connected to another UPC/other broadband connection?
    jor el wrote: »
    Does the Facebook page even load? Is it replaced with a 404 not found type error or just blank?

Facebook does work on UPC, they don't block it, and unless there's something up with your particular IP address that Facebook aren't letting you get on the site, then there's no reason it shouldn't be working.

In a Dos command prompt, try a traceroute to Facebook. Type; tracert www.facebook.com

bhickey, yes to both.

jor el - Yes, it will let you log in but if you try to comment on a status or post a status it will bring up
    This message contains blocked content that has previously been flagged as abusive or spammy. Let us know if you think this is an error.

It's a brand new UPC connection and has not worked since it was first installed in the house with just Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

What are you trying to post?

Dozens of sites have been identified as spam, and they are blocking links to them.

Google the above phrase to read pages of people complaining about how they think their spam should be allowed.

CptSternn wrote: »
    What are you trying to post?

Dozens of sites have been identified as spam, and they are blocking links to them.

Google the above phrase to read pages of people complaining about how they think their spam should be allowed.

Even if i type "test" as a status and click submit it brings that up.

What do I do with the results of this traceroute?

The tracert is useless to you now, it would only tell you if there was somewhere that you were being blocked at. Since Facebook loads, then it's not that.

I would think it may be that the IP you're on has been flagged as possibly spamming on Facebook. This happens when someone else spams, then you get that IP and now you can't post.

Turn off the modem, leave it off for an hour or more (over night is best), then turn it back on. You should have a new IP now.

Check your IP address before doing this by visiting whatismyip.com. Write it down, then check it again after the modem power down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jor el wrote: »
    Turn off the modem, leave it off for an hour or more (over night is best), then turn it back on. You should have a new IP now.

Check your IP address before doing this by visiting whatismyip.com. Write it down, then check it again after the modem power down.

As far as I know, UPC cable customers have fixed IP's?

More sticky than fixed. The IP is dynamic, but it won't change with a power cycle like DSL or mobile would. You need to wait for possibly several hours, but even then you might still end up with the same IP. My UPC IP has only changed twice in the last year, but it has changed.

Business customers can get a fixed IP, but I don't think a residential customer even has the option.

• Advertisement

The modem is turned off at night, for more than 12 hours at a time, tried it there and same IP address, can I ring UPC and get them to change it for me? Have reported the problem to facebook several times at this stage and still no reply.

The modem is turned off at night, for more than 12 hours at a time, tried it there and same IP address, can I ring UPC and get them to change it for me?

You can try, but I'm not sure if they can/will do it. I'm only guessing that this might be the problem too, it could be something completely different.
    Have reported the problem to facebook several times at this stage and still no reply.

I wouldn't hold any hope of FB doing anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

bhickey, yes to both.

jor el - Yes, it will let you log in but if you try to comment on a status or post a status it will bring up ,This message contains blocked content that has previously been flagged as abusive or spammy. Let us know if you think this is an error.

Have you just installed the smileys on facebook OP? switch them off ,people that don't have them installed when you post to there wall that message comes up.It's being happening to my partner and I uninstalled the smileys and she can post ok now

No, we haven't installed any of that stuff... UPC are looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Sounds deadly..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

As far as I know, UPC cable customers have fixed IP's?

This is not true unless you pay/request for a static IP from UPC, reset the cable modem, hold the reset button for about 10/20 seconds and this should give you a new IP address.

aerocell wrote: »
    This is not true unless you pay/request for a static IP from UPC, reset the cable modem, hold the reset button for about 10/
    20 seconds and this should give you a new IP address.

This is not a modem probem ,I have had this error message in the past and it was related to an un solicited and recognised application on facebook.The OP can still surf the net so there is no issue there with the modem and it's not that shes in a company that winserver is blocking it out.The fact that the user can log into facebook then not post means that the problem is within the applications loaded within facebook after login..

I have seen some of these bad applications in the past!i Iwould reccomend removing applications that the OP doesn't recognise do it here

Hi. I'm one of the people living in the house. Thanks for your replies first of all.
    I've tried turning the modem off for the 20 seconds. Didn't work.
    The modem is usually off during the night anyway, my mam has a weird thing with electrics being plugged in at night we've had the modem a week now and it's been off every night but the facebook error remains. I traced the IP and it's located in Clonmel even though we're in Dublin 15. I can post on facebook when I'm on other connections it's just the home connection that's not allowing me to post or view posts. Thanks for the ideas though :) keep 'em comin'

Hi. I'm one of the people living in the house. Thanks for your replies first of all.
    I've tried turning the modem off for the 20 seconds. Didn't work.
    The modem is usually off during the night anyway, my mam has a weird thing with electrics being plugged in at night we've had the modem a week now and it's been off every night but the facebook error remains. I traced the IP and it's located in Clonmel even though we're in Dublin 15. I can post on facebook when I'm on other connections it's just the home connection that's not allowing me
    to post or view posts. Thanks for the ideas though :) keep 'em comin'

Can you surf the net and log into facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Could be another rogue app - check your app settings on Facebook. All those silly games and apps you install can attach to your account and post spam.

For example, ever see some stupid post like 'click here to see something silly' and you click it and it then asks for permission to access you account?

Yeah, thats a rogue app, which is basically a Facebook Trojan/Worm/Virus. It will steal your details, spam your friends list, and of course try and post stuff to your wall and others when you are trying to post something else.

Beware of those sure.

• Advertisement

CptSternn wrote: »
    Could be another rogue app - check your app settings on Facebook. All those silly games and apps you install can attach to your account and post spam.

For example, ever see some stupid post like 'click here to see something silly' and you click it and it then asks for permission to access you account?

Yeah, thats a rogue app, which is basically a Facebook Trojan/Worm/Virus. It will steal your details, spam your friends list, and of course try and post stuff to your wall and others when you are trying to post something else.

Beware of those sure.

But it's not just one facebook account, we've tried 7, all will let you log in, but not post or comment, but if you switch out to another connection, we've even logged into a neighbours upc connection, and tried it it's fine. It's also across multiple laptops that when brought outside the house to mine (on another UPC connection) works perfectly.

But it's not just one facebook account, we've tried 7, all will let you log in, but not post or comment, but if you switch out to another connection, we've even logged into a neighbours upc connection, and tried it it's fine. It's also across multiple laptops that when brought outside the house to mine (on another UPC connection) works perfectly.

This problem is within facebook or your antivirus itself it's not a modem problem,are you running AVG? anti virus

This problem is within facebook or your antivirus itself it's not a modem problem,are you running AVG? anti virus

Yeah we're running AVG.

Yeah we're running AVG.

You need to go onto AVG, Tools, LinkScanner and untick all the boxes ,you have probably recieved an update recently

You need to go onto AVG, Tools, LinkScanner and untick all the boxes ,you have probably recieved an update recently

No still no dice thanks for your help though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 damoire

The firewall on the the EPC2425 is a bit sensitive, especially with Vista and Win7. Try turning it off and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

IF OP is still having issue with Facebook,

Try going to www.blacklist.ie and see if your IP is reported...If it is then there will be link to remove the IP. Since your using the Cisco Router it will be the router IP and not the IP given to your laptop example - 89.101.11.1 as apposed to 192.168.1.4, if it is reported there will be a link you can follow to remove the IP...

Second, Log into the cisco and check the Wan settings...The IP will have a lease time which as far as i am aware is 3days...The modem will need to be turned off for at least 3 days and it is always good to wait untill the lease is nearly up before powering off the modem as 90% of the time the modem will re-lease the same IP...So by turning the modem off just when the lease is nearly up and leaving off for 3 days it MAY change...

What you need to happen is for some1 else to lease your IP so that you have to be given a new 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

having a similar problem, excepts works on laptopm but not the phone. if i use my eircom broadband or 3g it works (i'm cancelling eircom tomorrow)

Advertisement