Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-11-2010, 12:44   #1
Casati
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 425
Plasterboard slabbing/ Skimming Cost

Hi- I have looked through posts and still not sure what going rate is for fixing plasterboard and skimming? Is €5 per board to fix plus €10 to the going rate for labour only? Any idea how much materials for skimming is going add on?

Thanks a mill
Casati is offline  
Advertisement
16-11-2010, 12:18   #2
colorc
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 54
Your looking at about €18 + VAT/m2 all in for labour and materials, with materials (plasterboard & Plaster) in the region of € 3.50 + VAT/m2. Hope this helps!
colorc is offline  
16-11-2010, 21:25   #3
mfceiling
Registered User
 
mfceiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the big mad house
Posts: 4,070
Hi,

I'm normally charging around €6-€8 a board (labour only) for tacking the boards. €5 is fairly tight unless it is great areas with very little cutting involved.
Skimming is in the region of €3-€5 a square metre (labour only).
Whatever you do don't skimp on either trade - it's finished wall you will be looking at and a good skimmer can do little with rough boarding and good boarding can be left looking bad with a bad skimmer.
mfceiling is online now  
20-11-2010, 17:14   #4
seannash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post
Hi,

I'm normally charging around €6-€8 a board (labour only) for tacking the boards. €5 is fairly tight unless it is great areas with very little cutting involved.
Skimming is in the region of €3-€5 a square metre (labour only).
Whatever you do don't skimp on either trade - it's finished wall you will be looking at and a good skimmer can do little with rough boarding and good boarding can be left looking bad with a bad skimmer.
Thats a ridiculous price if ever i heard one.

Can I ask how many boards you'd put up in a day?
seannash is offline  
20-11-2010, 20:53   #5
mfceiling
Registered User
 
mfceiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the big mad house
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannash View Post
Thats a ridiculous price if ever i heard one.

Can I ask how many boards you'd put up in a day?
Why is it ridiculous? Go into a awkward roof space area, small ensuite bathroom or high hallway and 2 men might only put up 25 -30 boards in a day.
Multiply that by €8 is €240 between 2 men...........take your tax out of that and then include a van, insurance and maybe a generator for the screwgun......it's hardly a fortune.

Sure get a couple of lads in who are signing on and tell them they are getting €50-€60 cash in the hand a day and you'll be quids in.........just don't call them if they make a balls of it

How much would you pay for slabbing or skimming.........pay peanuts and you get monkeys.......i've been called in to repair donkeys work by architects/builders in the past and let me tell you......you get what you deserve when you cut corners.
mfceiling is online now  
Advertisement
20-11-2010, 21:13   #6
olie77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Meath
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by seannash View Post
Thats a ridiculous price if ever i heard one.

Can I ask how many boards you'd put up in a day?

HI just to say I'd happily pay €6 per board, I've worked for years as a plasterer but couldn't tack up the boards myself as I'd be way to slow and I'd never make money. If the guy putting up the boards can do 50 boards or more a day I'd be happy to pay him provided the work is done to a standard I am happy with. The amount of work done is not important but the quality is.

The only problem I found with pricing was I kept getting told I wasn't charging enough so I mustn't know what I was at. I made decent money and didn't rip people off dispite the opportunity to do so and all my customers were happy with many small builders with repeat work.

The tacking I always spent the money on as if the tacking is done to a high standard it cut my time considerably

If anybody is looking for a quality plasterer pm me as I still do small pieces as my current job is only 4 days per week so I've plenty of spare time
olie77 is offline  
Thanks from:
20-11-2010, 21:25   #7
mfceiling
Registered User
 
mfceiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the big mad house
Posts: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie77 View Post
HI just to say I'd happily pay €6 per board, I've worked for years as a plasterer but couldn't tack up the boards myself as I'd be way to slow and I'd never make money. If the guy putting up the boards can do 50 boards or more a day I'd be happy to pay him provided the work is done to a standard I am happy with. The amount of work done is not important but the quality is.

The only problem I found with pricing was I kept getting told I wasn't charging enough so I mustn't know what I was at. I made decent money and didn't rip people off dispite the opportunity to do so and all my customers were happy with many small builders with repeat work.

The tacking I always spent the money on as if the tacking is done to a high standard it cut my time considerably

If anybody is looking for a quality plasterer pm me as I still do small pieces as my current job is only 4 days per week so I've plenty of spare time
Well posted........trying to do a decent days work for a normal days pay seems to be lost on some people.
Good work is remembered long after the price is forgotten!!
mfceiling is online now  
20-11-2010, 21:48   #8
seannash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,031
Ive been doing it for 10 years.
Yes there are awkward spots in every house but what about the straight walls or ceilings?you fly through them.

I hate to be the ones to tell you this but very very skilled tradesmen are doing a days work for 80 euros a day.
your only slabbing,no need to glorify the process.If your at it long enough you should have your cost of tools well covered at this stage.

And yes you can get lads who are signing on to do it but you can also get people who have been doing it for a living to do it for 65.

Now ill let ye go on to tell me that you guys do a high standard of work and that cowboys charge less because there unskilled and repairing the work will cost more money.

Half the work of a good job is done for ye by the carpenters who frame out,mistakes can also lie with them.

Jesus you lads would make a forune if you done commercial office fitouts with those prices
seannash is offline  
20-11-2010, 23:42   #9
mfceiling
Registered User
 
mfceiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the big mad house
Posts: 4,070
How would you make a fortune in commercial office fit-outs?
Those jobs barely exist nowadays.......i've recently done a job where i've put on over 110 boards a day with another man.
That lasted for all of 6 days, it paid well but then it was back to looking around for work again.
Yeah by all means charge €5 a board less 35% RCT and you'll have €3.25 a slab - put on 50 boards and you have €160 between 2 men for a days work.........hardly a fortune.
I know skilled tradesmen also working for €70-€80 a day who are looking more at signing on because the welfare is more generous.
I also know of a subbie who pays €3 a board gross and he's complaining he can't get "good men" to work for that money..........go figure
mfceiling is online now  
Advertisement
21-11-2010, 00:21   #10
seannash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfceiling View Post
I know skilled tradesmen also working for €70-€80 a day
grand so we agree you can find cheaper prices out there.
while there contemplating going on the dole they can slab this persons house
seannash is offline  
21-11-2010, 07:42   #11
mfceiling
Registered User
 
mfceiling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: the big mad house
Posts: 4,070
Yeah let them at it
mfceiling is online now  
21-11-2010, 10:20   #12
seannash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,031
just to be clear,Im not arguing that its not a perfect price for the slabber Im simply saying that in todays jobs climate you can get it for cheaper than what you quoted.

I would love if it wasnt the case because it would mean more money for me at the end of the work day but I know that theres cheaper out there and the finished product will be just as good.
seannash is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet