Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone recommendations - Advice needed

Options
  • 14-11-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a smartphone recommendation or share their experiences of any of the below phones? I'm thinking about either Apple iphone4, Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire. More for personal use than work use.

- I'm on 02 billpay & also have mobile broadband with them
    - Price range: up to €300
    - Would like to be able to synch with iTunes
    - Would like to have Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Foursquare, Linked-in, boards.ie, Gmail, etc. running in the background
    - Everyone raves about Apple apps but are the Android-based apps just as good? Ideally I'd like to support the open OS developer community rather than Apple's proprietory software.
    - Hardware wise: A scratch resistant screen (gorilla glass?) is important, synch-ability with Windows XP / Vista on my laptop, battery life, good phone reception, fast (processor/memory)
    - available in pink (only kidding!)

thanks so much for any advice in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a smartphone recommendation or share their experiences of any of the below phones? I'm thinking about either Apple iphone4, Samsung Galaxy S or HTC Desire. More for personal use than work use.

- I'm on 02 bill pay & also have mobile broadband with them
    Been a long time since i looked at prices for Smart-phones. If you get a smart-phone on bill pay, it will be around the 300 mark or less.
    Only Iphones can sync with Itunes
    - Would like to have Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Foursquare, Linked-in, boards.ie, Gmail, etc. running in the background
    As far as i know most smart-phones run apps in the background. You can get all the apps list above on Smartphones
    - Everyone raves about Apple apps but are the Android-based apps just as good? Ideally I'd like to support the open OS developer community rather than Apple's proprietory software.
    Samsung Galaxy S, running android. mate of mine has it. Have to say,it is some piece of kit.
    - Hardware wise: A scratch resistant screen (gorilla glass?) is important, synch-ability with Windows XP / Vista on my laptop, battery life, good phone reception, fast (processor/memory)
    No phone is scratch resistant! if you go for the iphone try the Invisible Zagg shield. I have it and it is very good. All new smart-phones sync with Windows. Battery life is never good on Smart-phones! Iphone 4 battery life is better than the 3gs but still not great. Samsung Galaxy S battery is OK As per Mate's Opinion.
    I won't even go there!! :-)

thanks so much for any advice in advance! smile.gif

If you are keen to go the Android route you wont go wrong with the HTC Desire or the Samsung Galaxy S. I would go with the Galaxy. Beautiful screen on it.

Hope this helps a bit,

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi there,

- I'm on 02 billpay & also have mobile broadband with them

thanks so much for any advice in advance! :)

I love my HTC Desire, its a fantastic phone. The quality and range of apps improves every day, and I haven't wanted for anything. We now have access to the app store so have a huge choice of paid and frege apps.

As for the OS and interface, its highly customizable, and seamless to use. Has all the syncing capability u mentioned and I love the option to store all my contacts on Google, I'm never going to loose them that way!

- Sending this from my desire BTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wellywearer1

Hi Bobby T28. This helps a LOT! Thanks for taking the time to reply on all the q's. Sounds like one of the Android-based smartphones is as good as the iphone4. Great tip on the screen cover thingamybobby. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi Bobby T28. This helps a LOT! Thanks for taking the time to reply on all the q's. Sounds like one of the Android-based smartphones is as good as the iphone4. Great tip on the screen cover thingamybobby. Cheers.

No problem. Good luck with whatever Smart-phone you pick.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

+1 on the HTC Desire recommendations. What an amazing... well... phone as well as many other things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Galaxy S has a lot going for it, but overall i think the Desire is a smarter buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

I have to add my support for the HTC Desire. Its a class bit of kit. Ive had mine for a few months now and am finding new uses for it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CathleenN

I would vote for Desire. While the screen of Galaxy S is absolutely amazing I found the build quality of the phone to be just a little bit less than ideal. There are also some software issues, like the famous GPS bug (should be fixed in the 2.2 update) + random problems with connecting to some wireless networks or to the Google services.
    Then, I didn't have the hands on experience with Desire but I use HTC Tattoo as my primary phone and I find the entire experience of dealing with the phone much more smooth and pleasant. So if I were buying a smartphone now I would definitely choose Desire (or maybe one of its sister models, like Desire HD or Desire Z).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Another vote for the HTC Desire. Great piece of kit altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

iPhone 4 is my favourite at the moment. You can't go wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

And another vote for the HTC Desire :)

Awesome peice of tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    iPhone 4 is my favourite at the moment. You can't go wrong with it.

Unless you want to make phones calls with it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I was in the same boat recently and narrowed it down to pick between the Galaxy S and HTC Desire.

The HTC does feel slightly better built, somehow tougher in a way. However after playing with the two I chose the Galaxy S. There is very little between these phones. Both are amazing pieces of kit. Android is a joy to use.

It was the screen on the Galaxy that sold it to me in the end. It is stunning. There are reports of lag on the Galaxy but I haven't noticed it. I just restart the phone every couple of days as I would with any pc or laptop operating system, which after all is exactly what you have in your pocket with one of these phones.

As for pricing I went with 3 as a new customer, 18 month contract. Phone was 99eur. 40/month includes 350units (1unit = 1 min or 2 texts), I picked the free addon which gives free evening and weekend calls to all networks and there is a 2GB data allowance with the package.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Its really down to your own personal preference with the hardware in the end. You wont be disappointed with either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wellywearer1

Hi everyone! thanks so much for all your advice and opinions. It's truly appreciated:-) :D

I'm gonna head into an O2 store at the w/end & check them all out but I think I'm kinda leaning towards the Samsung or HTC.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

On any of the phones you can still buy music through itunes and then just have media player or whatever music software the unit uses point at the music directory to pick up the purchased songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on a smart phone. I was going to go with the Galaxy but reading here everyone seems to be saying HTC? Also why has no one mentioned the Nokia N8, i've been considering this as an altervative, hwta do ye reccommend?
    (Also when is the galaxy software update 2.2 out? and will the phone update automatically or what?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CathleenN

N1one wrote: »
    (Also when is the galaxy software update 2.2 out? and will the phone update automatically or what?)
    No, the phone will not be updated over the air. You'll have to install the Samsung Kies software, and this will deliver the update to your phone (if you are lucky enough to make it work: for me it was rather tricky :) ).
    The update is already there for the unlocked phones but, as far as I understand, not for all carrier-locked versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭who what when

Im due an upgrade with 02 and when i click on both of the phones on the website theres over 100 euro in the difference
    Can someone who knows these things tell someone who doesnt why theres such a big price difference? Thanks in advance

CathleenN wrote: »
    No, the phone will not be updated over the air. You'll have to install the Samsung Kies software, and this will deliver the update to your phone (if you are lucky enough to make it work: for me it was rather tricky :) ).
    The update is already there for the unlocked phones but, as far as I understand, not for all carrier-locked versions.

Ta, and if i went with a Nokia N8, is it the same with the Symbian update when it arrives? Does it update automatically, or do/can i install it? or what...?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭smegheadz

Sim free phones you generaly get OTA updates. if you bought it from your carrier at a reduced price you will more then likely have to wait till they release an update. Carriers lock the OS down and remove bits that they don't like. so new firmware updates go to them and they modify it to their needs. so could be a long wait for any device on a carrier.

my own 2 cent for smartphone.

i love nokia n900, it doesn't have a bajillion apps but what it does have is the best web browser in any mobile phone, best multi tasking (as good as palm pre was it was just a lil less then this) built in skype which works out of box, can modify and configure it to your hearts content, even use it for wardriving ;)

but, it's not everyones cup of tea. it's linux on a phone, debian flavor. power users who like to tinker and modify would love it. average users would like alot of things about it but iphone and android still have the apps markets and more user friendly when it comes to just gimmie an app for this.

• Advertisement

Thanks smeg. That clears that up...and throws another phone in the ring! It's a nice looking phone. I have the N78 at the min-which i loved but it's getting a bit battered at this stage. N900 looks to be a cool replacement option. I'll suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Your best bet as a Smart phone at the moment are:

Samsung Galaxy S
    Apple iPhone 4
    Nokia N8
    LG Optimus 7

Of these 3, the Galaxy would be my pick because it's Android, and in 12 months, Android will be the be all and end all of mobile phone software. It's durable, not too expensive on an upgrade with o2, especially seeing as you probably have a Gold upgrade or higher, considering you have their broadband too.

The iPhone is an awesome phone, but the new software updates that the Galaxy will be getting, along with the insanely fast development of Android apps means the Galaxy is a better call, IMO.

As for the N8, it is a GLORIOUS piece of nerd-ology, and the camera and screen quality are amazing, but, it's still Symbian, and sadly, that's a major downfall with a smart phone.

And, the Optimus 7... Windows software, give you access to emulators and the like very easily, but it's still not Android.... BUT, if you can unbox it like this, it's definitely worth it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoUNwm0ppII

Best of luck with your choice though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

brianblaze wrote: »
    Of these 3, the Galaxy would be my pick because it's Android, and in 12 months, Android will be the be all and end all of mobile phone software.
    Outside the US, it'll be Android and Symbian. Inside the US, Android and iPhone.
    Would be nice if the N8 at least had a hack that let it run Froyo.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The galaxy s is great phone, its just a pity about how crap and useless the kies is. Took me like two days a=of fiddling around to connect it up to it. Takes two seconds to connect up iphone to pc, not that I'm recommended that. Just pick whichever looks the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Windows phones and HTC Android phones have the best social network integration.

Galaxy has lag issues and some Nokia N8 suffers from powering up problems

You can use Zune sync with Windows phone. Which is way better in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

The new phones come weekly, so you cannot buy anyone you like(maybe you have too much money).

I don't want to recommend any mobile.
    I just say that keep your current phone well, research and install the softwares you real need, then bring it into full play.

I am using Nokia N70( antique phone? ) for almost three years and it works well. It has most useful functons i need, such like push mail and browser(opera). I am very satisfied with it although I am always watching the latest and fabulous phones.

Maybe i am too poor to buy new phone? or maybe I am smarter on expending.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

N1one wrote: »
    ? Also why has no one mentioned the Nokia N8, )

Because it runs on Smybian 3 which is a tweaked version of an operating system that needs a major overhaul if not complete replacement.

If you want a smartphone, go Apple or go Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Or windows phone 7 :)

And agree symbian is a have of crap

Advertisement