Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras App??

Options
  • 11-11-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Not entirely android related and not sure how long these have been released but is there a map or layers which can be overlaid onto Google navigation with these included
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590&Lang=1

Or better still leave an app running in background (with gps enabled) while driving which gives an audible alarm when a checkpoint is approaching, without the need to run navigation as some journeys would not require it

....and yes we should all be obeying the speed limit anyway while driving but there are some tricky ones like the one coming out of kilkenny in callan direction which people not familiar with the area might well get caught out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There's Trapster and that other one that I forget the name of too.

Drive safe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

trapster has one speed check for the whole country :) so i dont think it will be much use. Thanks anyway. dont fancy adding in all 300 myself, esp if they werent correctly positioned.

ideally was hoping for integration with Google maps, as it would be a pity to have to buy a sat nav for them when navigation is perfectly suited on the phone

Might just fork out for the tom tom app, be a lot cheaper than a fine in long run

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Trapster is ideal if enough users actually use it as all the live traps will show up accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

trapster has one speed check for the whole country :) so i dont think it will be much use.

What? It has loads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ahhhh, i see now, on the overall country map it only showed me one in the middle. just happened to zoom to my locality and kilkenny out of interest but nothing came up at the time. lots there now alright. thanks, must report anything i spot from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Started using trapster myself and it highlighted a trap on the M50 for me Friday night, great app and can only get better the more people that use it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm going to start using trapster from today too so hopefully there'll be a growing community with all these new cameras.

Yeah, the new cameras and the fact that the M3 is now on google maps prompted me to reinstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeah, the new cameras and the fact that the M3 is now on google maps prompted me to reinstall it.

For a free app it could save us lots of money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Cool, must give this a go....as said earlier, its needs the users to be any good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think I asked this before, but I forget so I'll ask again... Does trapster work in the way that if you drive by a speed camera, you can just press a button and it will flag it for other users, and after a certain amount of time, if it hasn't been flagged again, it will disappear? It should work that way in my opinion, so if it does, that would be pretty good, that way, if you see an alert, you can be pretty certain there's a high chance of it being there, as opposed to someone coming along and marking every point on the map without there being any traps there..

Yep, there's different types of alerts. E.g. fixed speed cameras, 'known enforcement points', which would be where cops/gatsos are known to hide, and checkpoints which stay active for about an hour (I think) after someone reports them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

are there data charges when you use this?.... i think with my plan i have a minimum charge of 99c a day.... could add up using this app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

jobless wrote: »
    are there data charges when you use this?.... i think with my plan i have a minimum charge of 99c a day.... could add up using this app

Yep, it has to pull down the latest info as it goes methinks...

Thanks muckwarrior, that's pretty good, how easy is it to report them or to know they are there? Does it work on a route basis, you input a route and it fetches them, or does it simply work on proximity without having to alter settings every time you set off in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just registered with Trapster now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Aye me too. Looks good.

Does anyone know how much data you are likely to go through by having the GPS enabled all day? (Assuming you are making a long trip).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Just installed Trapster, looks deadly

74000_1604050855877_1074276521_1688916_2780202_n.jpg

More we report the latest revenue generators the better this app works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'm going to have all of Mayo and as much as Connacht in as I possibly can over the next week. If each person updates their area, Trapster will have this problem solved in a jiffy...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

Excellent - came looking for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Just installing myself also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm going to have all of Mayo and as much as Connacht in as I possibly can over the next week. If each person updates their area, Trapster will have this problem solved in a jiffy...

I'm all over Mayo and Roscommon myself, I'll use this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

trapster only works with gps turned on constantly from what i can see. can't get it to work with just cell tower locations (like latitude would for example). that's a negative for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I'm downloading now, handy for a trip where you dont know the usual locations

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Cell tower triangulation tends to be accurate to about a kilometer so it wouldnt be good enough to determine what road your on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

did a load around killaloe, birdhill limerick and the main road down to dingle( heading down a couple times b4 xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

Random wrote: »
    trapster only works with gps turned on constantly from what i can see. can't get it to work with just cell tower locations (like latitude would for example). that's a negative for me :(

How much does it cost to have the GPS on for a longer trip? Hardly much? Isn't the whole idea of trapster that you know exactly where you are, i.e. GPS rather than Cell tower triangulation??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

gps doesn't cost anything in terms of credit / money on your bill.

gps costs in terms of battery and it eats through it massively. i'd like to leave trapster running in the background (much like i do with google latitude), leave it in my pocket, and have it alert me when i'm nearby.

How about this and this Random? You can even get a cheaper all in wonder here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47130 but I think the combo of the first two I linked to is best incase you need other things plugged in, which I always do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I actually started writing an android app for this very thing until I saw this post.

Real shame its unusably slow on my HTC Hero, but it did have a place mark where I got caught a few weeks ago, luckily the guard was nice :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement