Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best free standing small burner for cheap student

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

am a student in a cold house(border area)and am looking into buying cheap multifuel burner to heat 2 rooms or better.will stand in or in front of fireplace.(am funding this myself as landlord is reluctant) wont get the best with my price range but wont bother if all i`m gonna get is scrap for little outlay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭ntpm

paulcos wrote: »
    am a student in a cold house(border area)and am looking into buying cheap multifuel burner to heat 2 rooms or better.will stand in or in front of fireplace.(am funding this myself as landlord is reluctant) wont get the best with my price range but wont bother if all i`m gonna get is scrap for little outlay

Multi fuel????
    If its a stove it needs to be connected to a flue/ chimney. Not a option if you are renting...lots of work involved.

You are really looking for mobile gas heater.... or an electric convector heater, panel heater or oil filled panel heater/radiator.
    Also these will only heat the room there placed in, there's nothing in the market that will heat multiple rooms.

If you buy a gas fire buy a decent carbon monoxide detector. SAFETY FIRST.

If you go for a mobile unit you can take it with you when you leave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulcos

thanks for that reply. i was going to use a flue converter to join into the fireplace chimney and go from there. and yes a small solid fuel burning stove. used to heat a sitting room and kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

paulcos wrote: »
    thanks for that reply. i was going to use a flue converter to join into the fireplace chimney and go from there. and yes a small solid fuel burning stove. used to heat a sitting room and kitchen

Hi Paulco,

if I were you I'd get one of these kerosene space heaters from McLoughlin Oil in Naas or Balbriggan. A Corona Inverter 5006. See http://www.jhmcloughlin.com/Heaters.html

They're €295 collected and come with 20L of oil, which is 4 tankfuls (you can work out how much space that will heat etc for you at 800w - 3.2kw variable setting etc). This is about the same price as getting the oil and the unit delivered through Amazon.co.uk (good reviews there) or also here http://www.dry-it-out.com/inverter-5006-3kw-liquid-fuel-heater-free-fuel

I'm looking into one myself as the burner has gone in a rented house and landlord has no money. This is a portable solution (investment) and its also reason for me to move easily and get deposit back as the lease is now broken on the landlord's part if he can't / isn't able to get this fixed asap.

Plus, it has a carbon monoxide sensor and shut off. A VERY clever piece of kit all around.

Best of luck and stay safe while staying warm.

ps added pricing here http://www.jhmcloughlin.com/Lubricants.html For some reason, the pricing is shown on the Lubricants page. I found it while googling. At any rate, I confirmed the current price for the 5006 as I was looking at buying online. €295 with free oil is a good deal.

Incidentally, one of these space heaters WILL heat multiple rooms, particularly if the rooms are adjoining? Then you just either run a 3.2kw on maximum heat or a larger unit on a lower setting, once you have the rooms up to temp.

Seal up the chimney with cardboard and instead open the window every now and then for fresh air & ventilation (or open vents if you have them). Do not seal up the chimney & use a room heater unless you buy yourself a carbon monoxide detector or it has one contained

Advertisement