Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murtagh Leaves Ballydoyle

Options
  • 08-11-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/murtagh-splits-with-ballydoyle/787188/top/

It was a bit suspicious that he wasn't always getting on their best horses in the second half of the season but its still a bit of a suprise. I think they might get an "American" in. Theres one I would particularly like to see (JL). Good chance that Colm O'Donoghue will get the job though. He knows his place to a certain extent, if you know what I mean. He won't rock the boat I don't think

He resigned from reports. Maybe going to England?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This has come as somewhat of a surprise regardless of the whispers/rumours that have been floating around lately..

But surely you don't walk away from Ballydoyle unless you've got something lined up to replace them...

I can't see O'Donoghue getting the job because its always been filled by a "bigger " name jockey... Dont get me wrong colm on his day is good he just lacks the certain something you need for that No 1 in that yard..

Ive already got about 20 texts saying "Bring back Fallon" but who'll step into the No 1 role there now?????

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Not in the least bit surprised. Wonder how long more the mafia will stick with Aidan O'Brien before they replace him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Sprouts wrote: »
    Not in the least bit surprised. Wonder how long more the mafia will stick with Aidan O'Brien before they replace him too.

Johnny Murtagh quit, he wasn't replaced.

He must like money and success.

Johnny Murtagh quit, he wasn't replaced.

He must like money and success.

Right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

I've heard rumours of Julien Leperaux being thought of, he's a great jockey from what I've seen.
    I'd love to see Fallon back, he has no great ties in the uk at the moment, just a gentleman's agreement with Luca Cumani, if he was offered it he would jump at the chance, he has said so in interviews in the past year.
    There's a chance of Colm o'Donoghue, although they may want a bigger name jockey to go along with the prestige of coolmore and ballydoyle.
    I'd say Murtagh wasn't impressed with the rides Joseph o'Brien was getting this year, a lot of them you would imagine Murtagh would have been on given the choice.
    I'd love to see Fallon announced within the next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

I don't think Colm O' Donoghue is an incredibly likely candidate. (Nor Seamie Heffernan, nor Joseph O' Brien). If either O' Donoghue or Heffernan were considered suitable for the No. 1 spot, the odds are one of them might have been offered the job before now. I just don't think Joseph O' Brien has proven himself yet to the extent that he could be trusted to do the job. His size is less of an issue than some think - the Ballydoyle No. 1 is never going to be riding horses at the bottom of the handicap, but I still don't think he's a leading contender.

Smullen is supposed to be the top contender. The question of whether he would leave Welds is still open though.

Apparently Ryan Moore knocked them back.

My money is possibly on Fallon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I cant see Pat leaving Welds... so id go for Fallon as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

No way will Fallon be brought back. Too many issues after last time.

Doubt Smullen would be choice either.

Ryan Moore would be obvious candidate. Richard Hughes would be good choice as well. Soumillion could be a dark horse. Cant see an "american" jockey coming in. Would take too long to learn Irish/British courses.

Personally i'll lead the bring back Spencer brigade. Still rides for them from time to time and Magnier/Tabor are massive fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Seanohea wrote: »
    I've heard rumpled of Julien Leperaux being thought of, he's a great jockey from what I've seen.
    I'd love to see Fallon back, he has no great ties in the uk at the moment, just a gentleman's agreement with Luca Cumani, if he was offered it he would jump at the chance, he has said so in interviews in the past year.
    There's a chance of Colm o'Donoghue, although they may want a bigger name jockey to go along with the prestige of coolmore and ballydoyle.
    I'd say Murtagh wasn't impressed with the rides Joseph o'Brien was getting this year, a lot of them you would imagine Murtagh would have been on given the choice.
    I'd love to see Fallon announced within the next week :)

Thats who I was alluding to in OP.

Heres Will Hill market for the job

Or Fran Berry. He would be much better than Smullen or Fallon

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »

Nobody is better than Fallon btw.

Berry just signed up with Oxx last year so I doubt he will be moving.

Give te job to Jimmy Fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

No way will Fallon be brought back. Too many issues after last time.

Doubt Smullen would be choice either.

Ryan Moore would be obvious candidate. Richard Hughes would be good choice as well. Soumillion could be a dark horse. Cant see an "american" jockey coming in. Would take too long to learn Irish/British courses.

Personally i'll lead the bring back Spencer brigade. Still rides for them from time to time and Magnier/Tabor are massive fans.

Julien Leperoux would be great choice, i know he is based in america but he is french and may find it esier to adapt than traditional american jockeys, plus he would have the advantage of expierience on american tracks which Coolmore and Ballydoyle would love with a view to future breeders cup meetings.
    Below is some interesting information on Julien,

"On June 27, 2007, Leparoux became only the fifth jockey in the 133 year history of Churchill Downs to ride six winners on a single card. On November 11, 2008 he rode seven winners on a single racecard at Churchill Downs, tying a twenty-four-year-old record set by Pat Day on June 20, 1984. [1]
    Breeders Cup 2009 was a career best for Julien. He became the 2nd jockey in history to win 3 breeders cup races in a single year following Garret Gomez. He also was the only jocky to win multiple Breeders Cup races and that garnered him the Shoemaker Award and left him with a career best in earnings and put him in the leaders spot as far as money earned nationally among jockeys.
    Julien joined a group of the most celebrated jockeys in history when on January 18, 2010 it was announced he had received the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey 2009."

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

I believe there is only one contender...
    Christophe Soumillion... Class act, not tied to anyone and realistically the only suitable candidate..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Agree with Soumillion, think he would suit that job perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Am I the only one really surprised with this?
    Don't think Smullen will get it.
    Don't think the racing public here will take to Soumillon's cockyness.
    Joseph O'Brien is too young.
    Seamie and Colm won't get it I don't think.

Richie,I would simply love to see Jimmy Fortune get it. Not retained by any trainer at the moment,one of the greatest racing injustices was him not getting the ride on Dar Re Mi in the Breeders' Cup last year and being disqualified on the mare in France.
    Think Moore is a big shout along with Fallon and Fortune(maybe with more optimisim than realism)

http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing-betting/racing-specials/aidan-obrien/next-stable-jockey
    Can't believe Robert Winston is 25/1 ahead of Jimmy at 66/1,surely he'd love to return home. And remember,he did pick up the ride on Rip last year versus sea the stars.

More I think about it the more it makes more sense. John Oxx is near the end of his career I think,he had a seriously quiet season last year. Fran is an up and coming jockey with immense potential,he deserves to be riding group 1 winners. I could see Johnny riding for Oxx or the Aga Khan and picking up spare rides for Mick Halford or David Wachman or whoever when not in the Coolmore colours.
    Imagine another Sinndar? The best horse Johnny ever sat on in my opinion.

greetings wrote: »
    More I think about it the more it makes more sense. John Oxx is near the end of his career I think,he had a seriously quiet season last year. Fran is an up and coming jockey with immense potential,he deserves to be riding group 1 winners. I could see Johnny riding for Oxx or the Aga Khan and picking up spare rides for Mick Halford or David Wachman or whoever when not in the Coolmore colours.
    Imagine another Sinndar? The best horse Johnny ever sat on in my opinion.

Fran Berry barely got the Oxx job, his rubbish race riding decisions and all that. Id like Jimmy Fortune to be more successful but he should first ask Roche Kinane Spencer Fallon Murtagh should he shake hands with the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Moore - would't think he'd want to leave England with his young family also has a nice job with Stoute.
    Berry - don't rate him myself
    Fallon - would they bring him back

Soumillon would be my pick, super jockey and I love the cockiness. Would Hughes be in with a shout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Wasnt surprised to hear this yesterday, as for who'll get the job, think myself richard hughes could get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Did he quit or was he pushed?? Christophe Soumillion or Kieran Fallon seem obvious choices,Richard Hughes or Frankie no chance,find it strange that Spencer has not been mooted for the job

I heard Moore and Hughes already turned them down, they are right too, why would they give up rock solid jobs to go work somewhere for a maximum of 3 years before they fall out with you for one reason or another. Soumillon would suit their style, cocky flash and arrogant, I can picture him now bolting in on a 1/7 fav in Tipperary standing up in the saddle giving the v sign to the masses, romping home ahead of the other 6 Ballydoyle horses.

Cant see why peope are suggesting Fallon. I'd be utterly amazed if they took him back. They stood by him in complete faith during the trial and then once cleared he is found to have taken drugs. I'm sorry but it wont happen.

Hughes would be great but Hannon has too much ammo to walk away from.

Cant see why peope are suggesting Fallon. I'd be utterly amazed if they took him back. They stood by him in complete faith during the trial and then once cleared he is found to have taken drugs. I'm sorry but it wont happen.

Hughes would be great but Hannon has too much ammo to walk away from.

Be tough to leave your father in law!. The missus wouldn't be to happy.

Moore will never leave Stoute. Best job in England by a mile.

Talk of Frankie is hilarious. Less than 0% chance.

Isn't Spencer John Magniers godson, he was too young 1st time around, surely he has a shout.

I'd love to see Fallon back there myself

I also seriously doubt APOB is fearing for his job there tbh.

I dont know the exact links but Spencer does have strong ties to Magnier/Tabor. He was too young 1st time and he also did not have the horses. Think alot of people overreacted to the ride on Powerscourt in America.

No way will Frankie go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

No chance Hughes will go either. He's got Canford next year, family ties, nearly became champion jock. Too much to lose.

The only ones I would consider are:

Fallon, O'Donoghue (Fill in at least), Smullen, Peslier, Soumillion, Leparoux and Spencer. Maybe some of McDonagh, Lordan, Latham and Gomez (told Weaver in post race interview at the BC he'd like to show off his riding "to you guys in Europe").

The rest would be a wasted bet. I read on another forum that Moore was offered the job already and turned it down last week.

Nulty wrote: »
    No chance Hughes will go either. He's got Canford next year, family ties, nearly became champion jock. Too much to lose.

The only ones I would consider are:

Fallon, O'Donoghue (Fill in at least), Smullen, Peslier, Soumillion, Leparoux and Spencer. Maybe some of McDonagh, Lordan, Latham and Gomez (told Weaver in post race interview at the BC he'd like to show off his riding "to you guys in Europe").

The rest would be a wasted bet. I read on another forum that Moore was offered the job already and turned it down last week.

Pat Smullen out of the running for the job.
    http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=49068

There's more chance of me getting the job than Frankie leaving Godolphin for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Isn't there ill-will between Dettorri and Coolmore?

Frankie has declared publically he won't be riding their horses again. Perhaps however he had to say that to keep Godolphin happy.

• Advertisement

meriwether wrote: »
    Isn't there ill-will between Dettorri and Coolmore?

Frankie has declared publically he won't be riding their horses again. Perhaps however he had to say that to keep Godolphin happy.

That's it exactly. Godolphin won't let him ride coolmore horses.

The problem exists between Darley and Coolmore and not Dettori.

Advertisement