Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old abandonded building near the Sugar Loaf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It was an old filling station - I always knew it as Calary Filling Station as it is close by to Calary Bog. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm pretty sure it's an old petrol station.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes and even the old brain cells remember it as such....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sure it will be grand

It was an old filling station - I always knew it as Calary Filling Station as it is close by to Calary Bog. :)

Great, thanks for that. Any idea when it was closed? :)

Before the flood? I seem to remember buying ice cream and Taylor Keith lemonade there back in the late 1960s before making the assault on the Sugar Loaf and it didn't look much different then. Same sheep too. :D

• Advertisement

Before the flood? I seem to remember buying ice cream and Taylor Keith lemonade there back in the late 1960s before making the assault on the Sugar Loaf and it didn't look much different then. Same sheep too. :D

Are you referring to the Dargle flood down in Bray or another flood before my time?! Interested to know.

Are you referring to the Dargle flood down in Bray or another flood before my time?! Interested to know.

Before the Flood is an old saying meaning a very long time ago. It refers to the Biblical Flood that God sent to cleanse the Earth - Noah's Ark etc....:D

Before the Flood is an old saying meaning a very long time ago. It refers to the Biblical Flood that God sent to cleanse the Earth - Noah's Ark etc....:D

Oh right :obiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Love that building. Don't know why though? My dad has a huge photo of it on the wall at home. Nice to know a bit of history about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Anybody know what this is, just south of the old filling station in a field.....

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wicklow&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.4347,23.972168&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=County+Wicklow&t=h&ll=53.142394,-6.164006&spn=0.003018,0.009645&z=17

I always see it after climbing Everest the Sugerloaf :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

joeybloggs wrote: »
    Anybody know what this is, just south of the old filling station in a field.....
    Those are 2 water filled excavations, one each side of the track.Probably a by product of earth moving machinery when planting the forest, or else for attracting wildfowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Super pic!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I remember this building was in an ad back in the 80's on RTE, it was being used as a old US filling station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The auld lad used to bring us up there to get us out of the house on sundays, while the mother used to work her magic after dinner, choc ices for us and the newspaper for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

JJJJNR wrote: »
    The auld lad used to bring us up there to get us out of the house on sundays, while the mother used to work her magic after dinner, choc ices for us and the newspaper for him.

Thank you both, for once I feel young :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Franb64

I remember my late father stopping there to get us an ice cream in the early seventies.We were all loaded into the old anglia estate on the way to glendalough.Ufortunatly there has been a demolision notice put on it..it has to be demolished within the next two months.
    I think it is an awful shame,so on monday i will start my fight to save it..wish me luck:-)

Franb64 wrote: »
    I remember my late father stopping there to get us an ice cream in the early seventies.We were all loaded into the old anglia estate on the way to glendalough.Ufortunatly there has been a demolision notice put on it..it has to be demolished within the next two months.
    I think it is an awful shame,so on monday i will start my fight to save it..wish me luck:-)

Save your breath for cooling your porridge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Franb64 wrote: »
    The whole place is an awful eyesore, good riddance I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I drive by this building at least twice everyday and have seen countless photographers taking pictures of it. There was a photo of it with the Sugarloaf in the background on the rte weather for a while last year. I recently saw a guy in underwear standing in the window of the building while being snapped by a photo crew. It obviously has aesthetic appeal to a large number of people.

Rinker wrote: »
    I drive by this building at least twice everyday and have seen countless photographers taking pictures of it. There was a photo of it with the Sugarloaf in the background on the rte weather for a while last year. I recently saw a guy in underwear standing in the window of the building while being snapped by a photo crew. It obviously has aesthetic appeal to a large number of people.

The mind boggles. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3744443492_ea651eb47f_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It is an eyesore........and yet there is a fascinating incongruity about the whole setting, its like Father Ted's house on Craggy Island. :)

Yes, it does seem a pity to see it swept away after all this time. It really was like base camp before the assault on Great Sugar Loaf. Nice pic too brings it all back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

soon there will be nothing old left in ireland what harms it doing and it does attract people taking pictures one day it may have been a little tea rooms or something dont the fortunes of roundwood own this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ashmac

i really remember the ad on tv in the 80;s we thought we were in hollywood cause somewhere we knew near us was on "the telly"!! wonder if anyone can find the ad on u tube? i am up for the fight to see it stay btw.!! who owns it?

ashmac wrote: »
    i really remember the ad on tv in the 80;s we thought we were in hollywood cause somewhere we knew near us was on "the telly"!! wonder if anyone can find the ad on u tube? i am up for the fight to see it stay btw.!! who owns it?

What was the Ad for?

recedite wrote: »
    It is an eyesore........and yet there is a fascinating incongruity about the whole setting, its like Father Ted's house on Craggy Island. :)

I really disagree that the building itself is an eyesore. It is simply derelict. The leylandii trees planted around the site are so out of place in such a naturalistic landscape and look terrible. It is also really inappropriate for this site to be used for storing heaps of gravel. Remove the trees and gravel and the site goes back to being a beauty spot-the type of place where tourists could pull in to take photos and appreciate the surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Muas Tenek

Rinker wrote: »
    I really disagree that the building itself is an eyesore. It is simply derelict. The leylandii trees planted around the site are so out of place in such a naturalistic landscape and look terrible. It is also really inappropriate for this site to be used for storing heaps of gravel. Remove the trees and gravel and the site goes back to being a beauty spot-the type of place where tourists could pull in to take photos and appreciate the surroundings.
    I agree 100% we Irish seem to be very quick to dislodge our heritage. We should be protecting those things that our forefathers worked for. Myself I remember going to that garage with my father and the man there was so nice to us kids.

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    we Irish seem to be very quick to dislodge our heritage. We should be protecting those things that our forefathers worked for. .

Right you are! I've just sent an email to the heritage officer in Wicklow County Council suggesting that the building itself is an intrinsic part of the character of the area and it has long been a landmark there. Also that it is fondly remembered by many people and that it is a part of our heritage that deserves to be protected from unnecessary destruction. If anything the site should be cleaned up and the building left alone.
    Most likely this will have no effect but at least I said something and these issues should get some consideration before the building is knocked (and most probably left on site with the other crap for the next 20 years).:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭.243

joeybloggs wrote: »

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=wicklow&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=6.4347,23.972168&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=County+Wicklow&t=h&ll=53.142394,-6.164006&spn=0.003018,0.009645&z=17

I always see it after climbing Everest the Sugerloaf :cool:
    a gunclub put that there when they cut the forestry down a good few years ago to attract duck back into the bog surrounding it

Advertisement