Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband upgrading Breeze Max to WiMax?

Options
  • 01-11-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭

Got a letter today from Imagine who are upgrading my old IB breeze 3mb line to wimax in the next few weeks

Anyone know how this upgrade is going to work, do I have to get a whole new setup or engineer out to change to this service or will they just switch it over?

Pretty content with the service i have at the min, 2mb download 2mb upload with a ping of 60ms or so, all be its not the fastest but its like that 24/7 so its reliable as chips and had it for 3+ years

For the same cost though Wimax is available with 7mb download and 512upload, I couldnt find the contention ratios or anything, so anyone got this letter or know what the story is with this change!?

thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I'm interested about this too.

A friend of mine in Newcastle in Co Dublin were told their Irish Broadband solution is being cut off due to WiMax upgrade, and from the sounds of it not being available after the upgrade.

When asked, the Imagine sales person actually said they can always use dial-up for internet in the future.

I mean do computers even come with dial-up modems anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's not an upgrade, it's a downgrade. Imagine mobile WiMax is nowhere near the service that Breeze was. Tell them to shove it, and get real broadband from another ISP.

The problem is that from research there are no other ISPs in their area, apart from satellite broadband!

They were told today it'll be cut in 3 weeks. Not much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

hmm ... weird that I found this thread. I have a Irish Broadband (2 up 2 down) breeze line and was just thinking of upgrading to the WiMax offer. Other than the 512 up speed, it looks like an upgrade to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Thats where i am, in Newcastle! ...I really don't want this Wimax melarky, the adds annoy me enough to make me not want it

There's f all service here really, its rather ridiculous in this day and age, but if there is no new contract for the change i don't mind to try it and see what it's like, but chances are if its a year sub, wont do it, its bloody annoying, but ive no idea whats going to happen!

Even on the wimax area tester thing on the site, it says its not available in the area, pretty annoying and lame since ive been content with this connection for the last 3 years or so, i know ice broadband is available here and a shoddy eircom service =/ ...but we do have UPC for the tv ..hmm

+ yeah the upload speed is the only bad thing, and if its a mobile type service the ping might suck, im really note sure

• Advertisement

cian_r wrote: »
    it looks like an upgrade to me.

Look at the many threads in the Midband forum. Mobile WiMax resembles 3G more than broadband. Poor latency, little control on contention (if any), variable signal strength, and so on. Don't expect it to be as good as your Breeze connection, it's likely that it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

jor el wrote: »
    Look at the many threads in the Midband forum. Mobile WiMax resembles 3G more than broadband. Poor latency, little control on contention (if any), variable signal strength, and so on. Don't expect it to be as good as your Breeze connection, it's likely that it won't.

I had a sinking feeling that someone was going to say this :(

*sigh* so I need to go broadband hunting. Trouble is there's not too many options in Bray.

Look into UPC, Digiweb Metro, Magnet, Smart, then all the eircom resellers.

jor el wrote: »
    Look into UPC, Digiweb Metro, Magnet, Smart, then all the eircom resellers.

In Newcastle east of the village (not in a housing estate) none of the above serve the houses, and there is a cluster of houses there. Eircom don't provide DSL broadband as too far from exchange, so Eircom resellers are also a no no.

Digiweb Metro isn't in the area, they can provide satellite broadband, yeah!

Looks like Ripple (formerly Ice Broadband) maybe available in the area, so checking in that.

There is always 3G "broadband" too but not ideal, DSL would be the preferred option.

It's a bit odd how a house 8km from the M50, 4km from Adamstown, 5km from Celebridge and 6km from Rathcoole can't get Eircom DSL broadband in 2010.

lukejr wrote: »
    There is always 3G "broadband" too but not ideal, DSL would be the preferred option.

It's possible that Imagine WiMax would be better than any of the 3G operators, though no guarantee. They are similar, and can be as bad or good as each other. Reliability being the biggest problem, in that none of them can be relied upon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement