Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEED HELP! Wanna buy a 40-42" tv. Advice!

Options
  • 01-11-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

I have been looking around for a while for a FULL HD TV (40" or 42")

I'm not that keen on plasma! (dont ask why! not sure either!)

My budget is €800. but might stretch to €1000 if its a fab tv.

I'm a massive sports and movies fan! Watch several sports/movies channels nearly every day! Along with the usual "home and away" tv rubbish!

I have hooked up to my old tv:

panasonic 5:1 surround sound system
    Sky +
    Playstation 3

Please give me some advice on a great tv that will blow me away!

I've been looking in shops (currys and pc world, galway branches) and online (play.com, amazon etc..)

Everywhere i go i find the same bull about "there tv been the best around"
    Zzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for reading!!

Newcastle Fan!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have a look at the Panasonic G20 - available from Watters Electric up in N.I. They do delivery also.

Richersounds in Belfast (they have a presence on boards.ie) might also stock them, but there seems to be a question over their ability to deliver the sets.

Of course, you might be able to collect it yourself. My 2p worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 newcastlefan

That Panasonic G20 is a plasma!

Im NOT keen on plasmas!

Thanks for the info thou!

Newcastle Fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Dunno how I missed that in your original post.

It ticks all the other boxes, 42" or 50", excellent for movies and sports, compatible with your surround system, and has plenty of connection options. All that, and being reasonably priced.

However, if you've got a bias against plasmas for some as yet unknown reason, I won't try to persuade you.

I've no bias at all with plasmas apart from the odd person sayin there not as good as lcd/led.

Dont know why im against them. Im not really at all.

Thats why im asking for help!!!

Cheers

Looking for a 42" tv.

Must be:

FULL HD
    40 - 42 "
    Great for watching Movies, Sports and playstation 3.

Im completly open to any type (i.e plasma, lcd etc.)

I was previously advised about a 42" Panasonic G20 plasma.

I'm pretty much lost! Most people recommend lcd!

PLEASE HELP ME!!! :eek:

Thanks for reading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

I've no bias at all with plasmas apart from the odd person sayin there not as good as lcd/led.

Dont know why im against them. Im not really at all.

Thats why im asking for help!!!

Cheers

I was bias against plasma until a friend convinced me otherwise and I got a 42" G20 about 6 months ago. its a super TV, quality is brilliant especially for PS3 and anything with a lot of motion (football etc).

Got it delivered from richtersounds.ie to dublin which was great. and they even gave me a hand setting it up.

My only criticism with plasma is that if your tv is located where you might want to watch it in direct sunshine, it could be tricky to see. Where my tv is its very rare that the sun shines onto the tv but the odd time that I do watch tv when the sun is in the right angle I do have close curtains.

Thanks for the help! Im slowly starting to switch over to plasma! Keep it coming!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looking for a 42" tv.

Must be:

FULL HD
    40 - 42 "
    Great for watching Movies, Sports and playstation 3.

Im completly open to any type (i.e plasma, lcd etc.)

I was previously advised about a 42" Panasonic G20 plasma

I'm pretty much lost! Most people recommend lcd!

PLEASE HELP ME!!! :eek:

Thanks for reading!
    you cant go wrong with that tv, iv the 46" version

but before we go any further, whats your budget?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@newcastlefan,

I've merged your two threads into one here - please don't post the same query in two forums.

/mod hat off

I suggest that you think about what your budget for the TV is and try to see some examples to get an idea of what's available. If you're interested in ultimate picture quality and fast screen response for sports etc, then I'd agree with advice already given to you to look at a Panasonic plasma.

Please bear in mind that you're spending your own money and you should make up your own mnd rather than just going on the responses you get on this or any other internet forum - suggestions here might be very useful but at the end of the day you'll have to look a the TV, not us.

Cheers.

Ritz.

Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far.

My budget is from €600 - €1000.

I've been viewing loads of tvs in shops to get the best result but find it hard to pick just one!
    Some are great for movies, other are great for sport!

It's doing my head in!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LCDman

Hi Newcastlefan. I'm currently using a sanyo 32 inch CRT And I have to say that the pic quality is amazing, you really can't beat a CRT for pic quality although hanging it on the wall was a bit of a problem. You say you'll be watching a lot of sport and judging by your name itll be Newcastle united, I wouldn't worry too much about pic quality watching those muppets I'd be more worried about staying in the premiership!!!!!!! P. S. Thanks for the tea

Thanks LCDman!!!

I'll take your comment on board! Although your own sanyo sounds pretty crap!:P:P

Just out of curry's again!!

I'm concerned about the burn issue with plasma tvs.

Although the panasonic g20 is not meant to have this problem.

While in there I saw a deal for a 50" samsung 3D tv, with a 3D blu Ray DVD player with 3 pairs of glasses! all for €1200!!!!!!

Sounds pretty good!

I was told the tv alone would cost €1700!!!

Has anyone else seen this deal?

I'm not sure on specs but it seems a class deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

While in there I saw a deal for a 50" samsung 3D tv, with a 3D blu Ray DVD player with 3 pairs of glasses! all for €1200!!!!!!

Sounds pretty good!

I was told the tv alone would cost €1700!!!

Has anyone else seen this deal?

I'm not sure on specs but it seems a class deal!

Whats the model number for the Samsung ? LED ? LCD ? Hz ? .

Now i would personally recommend Panasonic or Sony. AT your budget 40 inch sony 899 for kdl40ex503 , 100hz tv , very good tv , excellent for sport/gaming .

Panasonic 50 inch i would recommend TX-P50S20L , 1199 euro, 600hz ( really 200hz but epic TV .

Also very important when considering plasma vs lcd/led . Power consumption if you dont mind about a big bill go plasma, but if you want it to be a reasonable increase on your energy bill go LCD/LED . Plasma is usually double the power consumption of a LCD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Whats the model number for the Samsung ? LED ? LCD ? Hz ? .

Now i would personally recommend Panasonic or Sony. AT your budget 40 inch sony 899 for kdl40ex503 , 100hz tv , very good tv , excellent for sport/gaming .

Panasonic 50 inch i would recommend TX-P50S20L , 1199 euro, 600hz ( really 200hz but epic TV .

Also very important when considering plasma vs lcd/led . Power consumption if you dont mind about a big bill go plasma, but if you want it to be a reasonable increase on your energy bill go LCD/LED . Plasma is usually double the power consumption of a LCD
    To be fair, the power comment is kinda silly... an extra 100 watts is hardly going to break you. Boiling the kettle with too much water in it will make a bigger difference to your bill than buying a Plasma!
    And don't worry about the screen burn issues, they're non-existant on the new Panasonics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    To be fair, the power comment is kinda silly... an extra 100 watts is hardly going to break you. Boiling the kettle with too much water in it will make a bigger difference to your bill than buying a Plasma!

Really ? The panasonic has a wattage of 353W , while an LED 52inch will be 103w , So Its 2 times more the power consumption . So if your going to be using it alot it will make a difference if your considering having the TV 5+ years .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Really ? The panasonic has a wattage of 353W , while an LED 52inch will be 103w , So Its 2 times more the power consumption . So if your going to be using it alot it will make a difference if your considering having the TV 5+ years .
    The Panasonic wattage varies depending on what's being displayed. 353 is the max. LED's are efficient for sure, but how much extra is it to buy in the first place?
    Besides, I buy a TV for the picture quality, not how many cents I might save on my ESB bill. If I was that tight for money, I wouldn't be buying a new TV at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

What do people think of this?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4799641/art/sony/kdl-40bx400-lcd-televisio.html

Will mostly use for Sky HD and occasional PS3 gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Reading down through this thread looks the most applicable for me...if there's another similar, happy to read it..

Need TV: 40" + size. Connect to home network system NAS(playes all files types), freesat not essential but nice, budget not a huge issue. SD Cards, USB Ports, HDMI all good.occasionally in direct sunlight. wall mounted. slimline as possible.

As above, most friends all seem to be going for LCD LED these days(plasma as a hasbeen) but Plasmas mentioned alot of above.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭1qTour

Found this link very useful, a good read for anyone buying a TV which I am planning to do myself.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/cutting-through-the-confusion/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

1qTour wrote: »
    Found this link very useful, a good read for anyone buying a TV which I am planning to do myself.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/cutting-through-the-confusion/

What size are you thinking of going for? And what features?

greetings wrote: »
    What size are you thinking of going for? And what features?

I'm thinking a 40/42 inch LCD Full HD. Thats as far as i am at the moment! I will be playing playstation and HD movies on it as well as the usual tv stuff.

I have been comparing TV's out there (by sight) in Harvey Norman, Currys, Argos etc and i am still unsure. Was in PC world the other day and they had MTV on all their screens. Crazy all the screens looked grainy. In Harvey Norman and Currys they had a Blue Ray DVD playing on them its only then can you see the real difference.

When ever I do, before I part with money I will be getting them to put a Blue Ray DVD in there, not a poxy bright animation that would look good on all screens. Then fiddle about with the picture settings.

Going to try spend under 600 but would be open to go a bit higher depending.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a 40/42 inch LCD Full HD. Thats as far as i am at the moment! I will be playing playstation and HD movies on it as well as the usual tv stuff.

I have been comparing TV's out there (by sight) in Harvey Norman, Currys, Argos etc and i am still unsure. Was in PC world the other day and they had MTV on all their screens. Crazy all the screens looked grainy. In Harvey Norman and Currys they had a Blue Ray DVD playing on them its only then can you see the real difference.

When ever I do, before I part with money I will be getting them to put a Blue Ray DVD in there, not a poxy bright animation that would look good on all screens. Then fiddle about with the picture settings.

Going to try spend under 600 but would be open to go a bit higher depending.

Any suggestions?

For gaming and blu ray and all I'd be looking for a 100hz tv. For under 600 you're limited,there's the philips 37inc at 479 100hz fullHd,very good price for what is a good tv.

Here's a 42 inch model of it for 639,out of stock in did til end of january though.
    http://www.did.ie/Product/SOLD-OUT-UNTIL-3RD-WEEK-JAN-42PFL5405H05/18001/317

mmm, that looks good alright.

Why does it say HD Ready When it seems to be a full HD as in it can display at 1920x1080?

mmm, that looks good alright.

Why does it say HD Ready When it seems to be a full HD as in it can display at 1920x1080?

Full HD is just a term given to make it sound better.It's defo 1080p,the proper 'Full HD' is rarely seen,I can only think of one tv that's properly full hd

Advertisement