Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Wicklow 200 be carried live on Telly

Options
  • 26-10-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title suggests. Should there be live coverage of the Wicklow 200 on TV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

No. Too boring. A 60sec news clip would more than suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It is one of/the biggest bike races every year. Rte wouldn't bother tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think a primetime investigation would be more apt. The serious issue of a 45euro entry fee and NO cream cakes is surely worth Miriam O Callaghan asking some serious questions of the IVCA.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mloc123 wrote: »
    bike races

You've said it now ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

tunney wrote: »
    As the thread title suggests. Should there be live coverage of the Wicklow 200 on TV?

God no, the Nation is not ready to view most of us cyclists in lycra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

It is one of/the biggest bike races every year. Rte wouldn't bother tho'

What about the sean kellly tour of Waterford? I hear there expecting in exces of 4500 people for 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Did both this year, the Sean Kelly one is bigger and better in my opinion

TV? A documentary following a few riders and their preperation and trials and tribulations on the day would be good, The Bealach Ba in Scotland did that and it got good reviews and ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

1. it aint a bike race, would rather see a C race televised

2. Treasury Holdings probably will be less involved next year as: http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nama-set-to-halt-developers-spend-on-sponsorship-2302938.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

it might make an interesting hour long documentary if they do the whole behind the scenes as well

or they could do a fitness show out of it unhealthy people training for the challenge of their lives sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

or they could do a fitness show out of it unhealthy people training for the challenge of their lives sort of stuff

I'll call my agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

1. it aint a bike race, would rather see a C race televised

you get a number, it's timed and you get a medal at the end... Surely it's a race

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

you get a number, it's timed and you get a medal at the end... Surely it's a race
    Told you! BTW it's not timed. PS. No more "it's a race" talk. Thanks. Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I think the real question here is whether triathalopes should be allowed out of their sheds. Personally, I'm against it.

They should probably be kept off the interwebs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TV is so last century. If someone wants to make an incredibly tedious video of a bunch of freds eating cake and cycling slowly there are plenty of places to host it on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I going for sub 7 hours.

Damn I've said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Nah. Similar coverage to what the Dublin marathon gets would be nice though. So abit of radio, print media and 60 seconds on rte news

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Lumen wrote: »
    TV is so last century. If someone wants to make an incredibly tedious video of a bunch of freds eating cake and cycling slowly there are plenty of places to host it on the internet.

have you typed wicklow 200 into youtube ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Seriously WTF ? Was the man bra too tight today or were you just bored Tunney ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I think he just felt it was a slow day on the forum and to be fair it got a lot of responses in a short time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Is this because there was televised highlights of the marathon on Setanta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Junior wrote: »
    Seriously WTF ? Was the man bra too tight today or were you just bored Tunney ?
    alfalad wrote: »
    I think he just felt it was a slow day on the forum and to be fair it got a lot of responses in a short time!
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Is this because there was televised highlights of the marathon on Setanta?

Over on the ART board there is a thread b!tching and whining about how the Dublin City Marathon isn't on TV. I was hoping for, and got, a general response of "WTF", to try and demonstrate that they are being a bit full of it when they are talking about the televising of an event that no one really cares about outside of their circle. Amazingly the Cycling board is more reasonable and realistic in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Amazingly the Cycling board is more reasonable and realistic in this regard.

WTF, can't believe that
    and there was a thread about was carbon worth the extra and no-one said cos its carbon
    we are losing it in here I tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Over on the ART board there is a thread b!tching and whining about how the Dublin City Marathon isn't on TV. I was hoping for, and got, a general response of "WTF", to try and demonstrate that they are being a bit full of it when they are talking about the televising of an event that no one really cares about outside of their circle. Amazingly the Cycling board is more reasonable and realistic in this regard.

It's all about asking the right question though isn't it.
    Next time 80% of all traffic on the cycling forum relates to a single race that produces a national champion, has a €15,000 first prize and raises tens of millions for charity I'll be sure to go over to the athletics forum and ask should an event most of them look down on be on the telly.

Although the WW200 probably should be on telly, it has to be better than all the ****e programs the lads on A/R/T were whinging about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Of course it should be.

Mandatory helmet cams for all participants, like a Formula 1 race, along with streaming data of speed, distance, heartrate, blood sugar levels and lactic acid accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

They could make a TV series called My Mid Life Crisis,They could devote one episode to chaps who drop a load of wedge on a fancy machine,pour themselves into logo covered lycra and ride sportives thinkin they're races.
    Role playing,I think its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

They could make a TV series called My Mid Life Crisis,They could devote one episode to chaps who drop a load of wedge on a fancy machine,pour themselves into logo covered lycra and ride sportives thinkin they're races.
    Role playing,I think its called.

or MAMIL's??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I feel used and dirty.

There is nothing more undignified than being manipulated to score points in an argument between pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Live coverage? Probably not.

A 5 minute slot on Bogwatch Countrywide would be sufficient in the week following the event with a two hour docu-film entitled "Chasing MAMILs" to be shown in selected cinemas about 3 months after, with a live Q&A from Johnny Fox's.

About 9 months after then Primtime could follow up with the doping expose, revealing how some riders were resorting to espresso loading immediately before and during the event.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sure wouldn't be a great ole advertisement for the beauty of Wickla for all the tourists, you'd have to edit out all the sweaty bikers though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Who won the Wicklow 200 last year?

Advertisement