Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Officer Down"- Short Story

Options
  • 25-10-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm writing a short story that has grown legs, in my defense I was bored one evening, sat in front of wordpad and started typing. So excuse spelling for the moment. Here' s a couple of paragraphs from Chapter 1.

Opinions?

Chapter 1 - Panic Alarm
    "Shots fired, shots fired!!" the control room operator rapidly callls out over his Tetra encrypted Garda radio. Units city wide listened intently for the location, some waiting anxiously for their district callsign to be relayed others hoping to finish their shift quietly for once. "Charlie alpha 1, or any charlie mobile, shots fired, Bank of Ireland, Amiens street, any units to respond?", called the control room operator. Almost immediatly a second more hurried annoucement, "Panic alarm now Bank of Ireland Amiens street, Charlie Alpha one, come in, over". Charlie alpha 1, the patrol car in this district, responded in a similar hurried tone, sirens blaring over the sound of rush hour traffic , and just audible over the radio transmission. "Charlie Alpha 1,we're three minutes away control. Are armed units on route?", interrupted the radio set from the patrol car. Charlie Alpha 1, only minutes away at Custom House quay on a material damage RTA, rush immediatleley into their patrol car to make the short distance to the bank.

Almost as soon as the call was relayed over the North central control set a second radio call was being made to armed response units in the DMA north central division. Sierra Alpha 64 was already racing to the scene, an unmarked dark green Toyota Camry, blue lights flashing frantically as motorists cleared a path for the speeding Garda vehicle. The two armed officers aboard listened intently to their radios for further developments as they made their way from the north suburbs toward the city centre. Each member on board carrying their standard issue UZI sub machine gun, now unlocked from the safe on the back seat and sitting on the oberservers lap, smith and wesson side arm, in their waistband holster. "Charlie Alpha 1 control, at scene", said the obersver from the patrol car first to reach the scene. The control room operator was busy notifying his superiors and following the standard procedure for such incidents and was careful to note Charlie Alpha 1's updated status on his console. By this time he was joined by control room supervisor Superintendent Tony Byrne. Gda Byrne monitored the situation closely as the control operator ensured there were suffucient units heading towards the scene. As the control room operator was updating the 'at scene' status of Charlie Alpha 1 other units from across the district radioed in with their intentions to head towards the bank to assist.

Store Street Garda Station only meters away from the bank, issued its request for more units over the station set and a local sergeant and superintendent headed on foot past the coroners office and up Amiens street, leaving their afternoon coffee, mounting paperwork and duty rosters for more urgent matters. "Sierra Alpha 1 to control at scene", reported the armed mobile unit having arrived at the bank, to what was developing into a very serious incident. The local uniformed units now gathered outside the bank, instructed to await the arrival of the armed unit in incidents such as these, are scanning the road for the arrival of their plain clothes collegues. Detective Sergeant Jim Brown's vehicle comes to a screeching stop outside, sirens still bellowing to the mesmorizing blue leds on the dashboard and in the headlights and instructs his uniformed collegues to set up a cordon. "100 metres", shouts the armed detective pointing back away from the bank. The banks heavy reinforced blue front doors are open, but neither detective can see inside past the single glass panel wooden door laden with advertising and opening hours. Standing either side of the door, trying to get a visual on the situation, they can hear shouting. "Stay down, nobody ****ing move" comes a loud shaken male voice from inside. The two detectives, worriedly look across the doorway at one another, with a look that each detective is all too familar with. Jim reaches for his Motorola handset and requests further assistance. "Sierra Alpha 1 to control.Urgent. Robbery in progress, further armed assistance and local commanders required. Over !"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Seems like a story only Gardai would read. Too much charlie alpha sierra tango 1234 tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

I agree with the previous poster. RTA, DMA, all the gardese language - it's too much. The story could be decent, but cut out some stuff on ranks, callsigns, proceedures etc.

"Shots fired, shots fired!!" the control room operator rapidly callls out over his Tetra encrypted Garda radio. Units city wide listened intently for the location, some waiting anxiously for their district callsign to be relayed others hoping to finish their shift quietly for once.

You're also changing tenses - first line is present, second is past. Best to pick a tense and stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Also if this was the first page of the book I'd put it back on the shelf after reading those paragraphs. Story doesn't seem very original or exciting. A bank robbery? I've read it 100 times already. Unless you have something very original just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Thanks for the comments...

As you can probably tell, im not a writer by any stretch of the imagination. Simply sat down with nothing else to do and put pen to paper (not literally).

I can understand why the language I have used may frustrate and certainly isnt everyone's cup of tea. I am trying to follow a style used by the likes of Tom Clancy and other such authors, with intimate detail and real to life situations and other jargon that give realism to a story.

Yes, a bank robbery is not original, but as the story progresses (if it progresses) I have some other ideas that will be introduced shortly. The tenses are a bit all over the place, as was pointed out, and I guess that's just down to lack of writing a story experience, I'm writing it has im thinking it, and it ends up all over the place. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I can understand why the language I have used may frustrate and certainly isnt everyone's cup of tea. I am trying to follow a style used by the likes of Tom Clancy and other such authors, with intimate detail and real to life situations and other jargon that give realism to a story.

I think the terminology and descriptions themselves are fine if that is the style, but they shouldn't take away from the clarity of the writing.
    "Charlie alpha 1, or any charlie mobile, shots fired, Bank of Ireland, Amiens street, any units to respond?", called the control room operator.

Almost immediatly a second more hurried annoucement, "Panic alarm now Bank of Ireland Amiens street, Charlie Alpha one, come in, over".

Charlie alpha 1, the patrol car in this district, responded in a similar hurried tone, sirens blaring over the sound of rush hour traffic , and just audible over the radio transmission.

"Charlie Alpha 1,we're three minutes away control. Are armed units on route?", interrupted the radio set from the patrol car.

Charlie Alpha 1, only minutes away at Custom House quay on a material damage RTA, rush immediatleley into their patrol car to make the short distance to the bank.

For me I found it confusing. I think the above in quotes could keep the detail but more concisely written. It is a bit repetitive, why is the control room operator saying the same thing again immediately? If the officers in question are responding then why is their radio interrupting? Is the order of actions logical? are the officers in their patrol car as it would seem in the 4 sentence or are they on route to their car as per the 6 sentence.

I think you could definitely develop it further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement