Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lotterys fixed?

Options
  • 23-10-2010 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

ok, a mate just left KPMG and told me the lotto is rigged, this is how apparently,

the machines go around the country go off at 7 or 730 which gives them time to determine which combinations of numbers havent been played by anybody and which have been played, that then determines what numbers go into the drum.

its not filmed live, they have 2 different sets of balls, one set with magnets in and one with none, and the 7 numbers they want drawn are put in with the magnets inside, the rest obviously are ordinary balls, the sucker yoke that pulls the balls out actually has another magnet in it as well so they obviously get to choose which numbers come out and pretty much when its won or when to let it roll over...they 'fix' it in the run up to every bank holiday weekend especially, letting it roll over in the weeks prior, and using statistics, selecting the numbers that come up most often in effect choosing a winner.

it's simple when you look at it. I see it but i'm not sure i'm buying it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I would not like to believe this and I don't but you have to remember the "lottery" is a business and it has revenue targets to meet so i wouldn't be suprised ,but if that were the case I would believe that your mate would have to be the CEO or CFO to keep that quiet tbh.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If they were going to cheat they'd change the weight of the balls to make the numbers 40 and up less likely to come out. It wouldn't rule out winners but would significantly disimprove the odds of winners as a lot of people do the same numbers they did when there were only 39 balls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I don't know whether or not this is true. But one thing is for sure... I am bloody sick of not winning the lottery! :mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I strongly believe its fixed. Its the same with each bank holiday/holiday. It seems to be rolling over a hell of a lot more since the euromillions have come out. It also always rolls up to a bank holiday/public holiday so they add the million to it. Ive been saying to people that I expected the lotto to hit €20 million this year. If it hits €20 million, lotto get a revenue of around €80 - €100 million (they got €60 million when it hit €15 million last time).

Its also a way of getting more people playing it. Generally the same people always play the lotto, so the revenue generated is always around the same. By bringing it up more, more people "buy" into it, so revenue is increased. A certain percentage of these people will then continue to play, thus increasing the standard revenue they were always getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

I have been saying it's some how rigged for a long time but my theory is based on the fact that if you do a quick pick say of two lines , 9/10 times you will get at least one number on both lines. I know this wont gaurentee no winner but it just reduces the chances. If you've got 3 on both your lines and 3 doesn't come out your lines are dead. Coupled with the OP's theory it would be very easy to rig.

I'd say the government make a fortune from it brcause as it rolls over I'd say the money spent on it probably close to doubles yet they only add on 1.3 mill eache roll over ?

Not sure who said it but may have been some economist , that the lotto is just an extra tax on the poor people who play and he was spoton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Rigged or not, some bloke just won €16,390,239 in tonight's Lotto. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

gizmo wrote: »
    Rigged or not, some bloke just won €16,390,239 in tonight's Lotto. :o

Ah balls was hopin for another shot Wednesday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dimejinky9 wrote: »
    ok, a mate just left KPMG and told me the lotto is rigged, this is how apparently,

the machines go around the country go off at 7 or 730 which gives them time to determine which combinations of numbers havent been played by anybody and which have been played, that then determines what numbers go into the drum.

7:45, so 15 minutes before the draw.
    Does your mate even know what time they stop the draw? Any shop assistant could tell you. Your mate knows less about the lotto then most people.
    its not filmed live, they have 2 different sets of balls, one set with magnets in and one with none, and the 7 numbers they want drawn are put in with the magnets inside, the rest obviously are ordinary balls, the sucker yoke that pulls the balls out actually has another magnet in it as well so they obviously get to choose which numbers come out and pretty much when its won or when to let it roll over...they 'fix' it in the run up to every bank holiday weekend especially, letting it roll over in the weeks prior, and using statistics, selecting the numbers that come up most often in effect choosing a winner.

You're saying they can organize all this in 15 minutes? You have from 7:45 until 8pm to get all this done.
    And you say it's not filmed live so they need to sort the balls, record the entire draw and then submit it to RTÉ in less then 15 minutes? It would be easier to just film it live

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

I wouldn't be surprised if it was rigged.The old Irish Sweep turned out to be a total fraud and a fix.Most of the tickets sold in The United States were dumped and never entered into the draw.Maybe years from now there will be stories about how the Lotto was fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I remember the first time they did the limited ticket 'millionaire' draw at the Rose of Tralee. Turned out someone from Tralee who was in the crowd at the time won. I was like........"Damn?"
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

antodeco wrote: »
    I strongly believe its fixed. Its the same with each bank holiday/holiday. It seems to be rolling over a hell of a lot more since the euromillions have come out. It also always rolls up to a bank holiday/public holiday so they add the million to it. Ive been saying to people that I expected the lotto to hit €20 million this year. If it hits €20 million, lotto get a revenue of around €80 - €100 million (they got €60 million when it hit €15 million last time).

Its also a way of getting more people playing it. Generally the same people always play the lotto, so the revenue generated is always around the same. By bringing it up more, more people "buy" into it, so revenue is increased. A certain percentage of these people will then continue to play, thus increasing the standard revenue they were always getting.

I totally agree with you-my mates and I have been saying for years that the Lottery allways rolls over for a few weeks prior to a bank holiday weekend, so as to draw in more and more money-take last week for instance, it was supposed to hit 15 mill no problem but was below it which meant the Lottery only added the bare 1.3 mill which makes you wonder what did they do with all the extra money that was gambled away last week..Im sure it wont all go to good causes...
    Anybody with half a brain has noticed this roll over fix for the last few years and not just on this thread-:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Regarding the roll over issue, just throwing this out there but has anyone ever considered that there is simply less people playing in the weeks preceding the bank holiday jackpots in anticipation for the larger jackpot?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Of course its fixed. Every bank-hol weekend, Christmas time, at any big event, it always builds up. It cant be a coincidence. I believe the prize bonds are fixed too. Its sickening:mad:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They covered this on the Ray D'Arcy show the other day, and seemingly proved it isn't fixed. There have been several wins before bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Not sure about the lotto being fixed but that three stars thing imo is so fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

I know 2 people who have had their 3 stars picked out on Winning Streak. How could it be fixed apart from the amounts people win which are generally the same apart from the wheel at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I know 2 people who have had their 3 stars picked out on Winning Streak. How could it be fixed apart from the amounts people win which are generally the same apart from the wheel at the end?

I too know people who've appeared on the show - I was referring (not very well btw) as to the picking of the 3 stars.

It's my understanding that firstly they're all shoved into a big bin and the garda is standing watching as they pick and check 500 of these tickets - that part is fine. But then it gets a bit iffy - apparently they need to have a variety of counties in the draw. So lets say there's 50 tickets from Meath and 100 tickets from Dublin - only 1 ticket will get picked from the Meath lot and 2 from the Dublin pile. And that's how they narrow it down - I can't remember where I've heard this but I have a strong feeling it was liveline although I can't be 100% certain on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I assumed that it's run the same way as some of the state lotteries in the US. They have three draws and the computers run the numbers and decide which draw will pay out the least. This is the draw that's shown. And occasionally they'll pay out the jackpot so people keep interested (and they've already more than made up for it in ticket sales).

Can't see why they wouldn't do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

If you do a search for the links between Gtech and the mafia you will find some interesting reading. and also a link between Gtech and an irish helicopter firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I believe it completely,always said it.How odd it was when its not won for ages and then easter or what ever comes and huge win.:rolleyes:
    I dont trust anyone in anyway,money, politics or loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Love this thread, it's fun, even if it's fantasy. Although I'm not quite understanding how the fixing saves them money, or works to their advantage, other than creating more rollovers. Also when you say 'fix' does that mean they are able to select the actual winning numbers beforehand, and who wins?

Oracle wrote: »
    Love this thread, it's fun, even if it's fantasy. Although I'm not quite understanding how the fixing saves them money, or works to their advantage, other than creating more rollovers. Also when you say 'fix' does that mean they are able to select the actual winning numbers beforehand, and who wins?
    Roll overs mean that the next jackpot is higher. A higher jackpot will have more people entering in order to win it. More people entering it means more profits for those who run it. And when they do pay out the jackpot, it's only a tiny amount of the total profits, so they make a fortune.

Right yeah, so thats how that make extra cash. What about the jackpot? For example, do they decide the numbers in advance and buy that ticket themselves? Or is it that they don't care who gets it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why would KPMG get themselves involved in rigging the lotto? The reputational damage alone they would suffer if this were true would be incalculable. Sounds like the OPs mate is telling porkies - otherwise why doesn't he go to the papers etc. and make a fortune from exposing this scandal?? I smell BS.

I'm not sure it's rigged but I've always been suspicious of those big back machines they used to have, far too much black for my liking, and it wasn't clear at all where the balls came from.

It always surprised me how quickly they announce the numbers. It's supposed to be live, so the announcer or director will only see the ball numbers when we see them. I know there's a camera on the draw line, but even so, they must have keen eyesight ..... or know the numbers already. If it is rigged they know the numbers before they're picked, and in the order they'll be drawn.

This is a good example of what I mean, from almost 10 years ago. Watch when the actual ball is drawn and stops on the line, within 1 second the announcer says the number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxwkG4o1OWE

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm not sure it's rigged but I've always been suspicious of those big back machines they used to have, far too much black for my liking, and it wasn't clear at all where the balls came from.

It always surprised me how quickly they announce the numbers. It's supposed to be live, so the announcer or director will only see the ball numbers when we see them. I know there's a camera on the draw line, but even so, they must have keen eyesight ..... or know the numbers already. If it is rigged they know the numbers before they're picked, and in the order they'll be drawn.

This is a good example of what I mean, from almost 10 years ago. Watch when the actual ball is drawn and stops on the line, within 1 second the announcer says the number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxwkG4o1OWE

Are trying to tell us that the human can't recognise a number and say it in 1 second? Looking at the video I was able to recognise each of the numbers before the presenter even said them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

humanji wrote: »
    I assumed that it's run the same way as some of the state lotteries in the US. They have three draws and the computers run the numbers and decide which draw will pay out the least. This is the draw that's shown. And occasionally they'll pay out the jackpot so people keep interested (and they've already more than made up for it in ticket sales).

Can't see why they wouldn't do the same here.

So they pay off kpmg, all the 100s of broadcast staff/presenters who worked on it over the years etc? What about the various draws they do live from special events, do they pay off the public at these too to keep the big scam hush hush?

Right yeah, so thats how that make extra cash. What about the jackpot? For example, do they decide the numbers in advance and buy that ticket themselves? Or is it that they don't care who gets it?

Well the way I thought it was done doesn't decide who gets it, only which draws payout more or less. It's a case of getting a larger audience and making more money.
    copacetic wrote: »
    So they pay off kpmg, all the 100s of broadcast staff/presenters who worked on it over the years etc? What about the various draws they do live from special events, do they pay off the public at these too to keep the big scam hush hush?

Is it illegal for them to do it my way? It would be underhanded, but I'm not sure if it would be illegal if they never claimed they were doing anything else. So, they wouldn't have to pay off anyone. And not many people would give a sh*t anyway, they'd still try for their "free money".

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Are trying to tell us that the human can't recognise a number and say it in 1 second? Looking at the video I was able to recognise each of the numbers before the presenter even said them.

I'm saying, under a second is a very short time for the producer/director to recognise the number drawn (which can be facing any direction) and communicate it via earpiece to the presenter. Whereas if they already had the numbers, then that would account for the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm saying, under a second is a very short time for the producer/director to recognise the number drawn (which can be facing any direction) and communicate it via earpiece to the presenter. Whereas if they already had the numbers, then that would account for the speed.

The presenter is standing beside the machine, they just recognise the number drawn themselves. Which is pretty damn easy, since you can mostly read them long before them stop.

Advertisement