Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo NES Region Lockout

Options
  • 21-10-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to open my NES up for the chop today. The target was the region or CIC chip, more specifically, the disabling of. The mod is about as easy a console mod as can be done, requiring the console to be stripped down & disconnect pin 4 of the CIC chip from the mainboard - and thats it, a region free NES.

The console that time forgot :P

vosm77.jpg

The NES, my one is a Mattel version, whatever that means.

108e1q1.jpg

Retro decapitation

wi7ay1.jpg

Down to business

10eepma.jpg

The CIC chip

1z5npzm.jpg

Pin 4 removed from the mainboard, your supposed to ground this pin to be anal about it but an open circuit will suffice here.

xe0h1v.jpg

I've no NTSC carts yet to test the mod with (one on the way), but for now a constant power light with no cart is the indicator that the mod has worked.

33y4yrq.jpg

And thats that, easy as pie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Seeing the nintendo logo on the chips and your motherboard being completely different to mine almost makes me want to cry. I hate you EnterNow, you and your original NES. I also hate some chinese crowd called NASA, who made my "Entertainment Computer System"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Do you just snip that connection off and thats it with a pliers or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You could do that, but it's a one way ticket if the whole leg comes off (meaning no going back). Instead, I heated the solder pad & lifted the leg off the pcb, leaving the circuit open. Either way will have the same result, and cutting the leg completely off is probably easier/more practical...I just wanted the option of restoring the console to stock should the need ever arise :)

I have to admit im not that experienced with a soldering iron, i have one alright though, so you just use it to melt the bottom part holding it on the board then lift the entire silver bit off and out of that chip there?

You'll need to heat the solder around where the leg from the chip is going into the pcb. Once it starts to flow, use a small long nosed pliers or similar to then prise the leg up from the board. The guide I used (Mmmonkey) suggests to then solder a wire to the lifted pin to ground, but there's no real need to do so.

• Advertisement

Cool, ill give it a go tommorow, thank you very much!

well i gave it a go, im not going to lie to you, it was a bit of a butchering.. haha.. but it came off and its working great, tested on a US mario bros.. cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Can this be done in reverse i.e Ntsc modded to run pal?

Thinking i might do it on my Nes-001 and then sell it for 15k:D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Can this be done in reverse i.e Ntsc modded to run pal?

Thinking i might do it on my Nes-001 and then sell it for 15k:D

Maybe, then you could always run an unjtagging service where you remove jtag mods & return consoles to stock :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Where were you when I was 7 :(

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    Where were you when I was 7 :(

Probably taking things apart to see what was inside them, then desperately trying to put them back together. I got there in the end :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Hah :) I just remember having a us smb3 sometime in early 91 but we couldn't play it no matter how many times we blew on the connector! Got the title screen once but never got to play.

Fair play on the mod, me 20 years ago is v. jealous :)

subway wrote: »
    Hah :) I just remember having a us smb3 sometime in early 91 but we couldn't play it no matter how many times we blew on the connector! Got the title screen once but never got to play.

Fair play on the mod, me 20 years ago is v. jealous :)

If only we knew back then that this was all that was needed :rolleyes:

Advertisement