Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crabbing/Shellfish

Options
  • 18-10-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, and apologies if it isn't.

Does anyone know what the story is with crabbing around Howth, Sutton etc. I remember seeing some youngfella's doing it with a bit of sausage on a bit of twine not long ago and wouldn't mind having a go myself.

What are the general rules involved, is it legal to take them home and eat them etc.

And lastly, any hints and tips?

I've searched google and boards and haven't really found anything hugely helpful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pete2009

Hello...
    Sounds like the person crabbing was just havin a bit of fun, or possibly catching crabs to use a bait. But either way it was probably "Shore Crabs" that this person was catching.

I would think it highly unlikely, nigh impossible that you would be sucessful at catching "edible eating crabs" in that way.

Google images and you'll see the difference.

I dont know of any law restricting you from taking the crabs home, but cant see why you would want to do that, unless you're using them for bait.

Crabs will hold on to most meat/bait things, no hooks needed, they are just reluctant to let go the bait. An old fish head would be good, or similar.

Anyways, it all sounds like a good bit of fun, catch and release, after all the shore crabs are a source of food for other species/fish....

Cheers and happy fishing...

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, and apologies if it isn't.

Does anyone know what the story is with crabbing around Howth, Sutton etc. I remember seeing some youngfella's doing it with a bit of sausage on a bit of twine not long ago and wouldn't mind having a go myself.

What are the general rules involved, is it legal to take them home and eat them etc.

And lastly, any hints and tips?

I've searched google and boards and haven't really found anything hugely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

Cheers man! So if I was after a decent Edible Crab, I'd want to be using pots and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Well you would indeed normally need to be using pots to catch eating crabs, not unless you know the nooks and crannies of the rocks like the back of your hand.

Good sized eating crabs can shelter deep in holes in rocks along the shore line, but they are well hidden and normally in deep horizontal gullies along the rock line. You gotta know where the holes are, and you gotta be brave to stick your hand into a dark deep hole...eating crabs can give you one hell of a nip, and always be careful with the tides..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I make my own pots with old small plastic drums. Very easy to make and it works the same way as a normal pot. Its perfectly legal as long as you dont go mad with a load of pots and start selling your catch:)

Nice one Skipz...how do you make your pots?

I was thinking of buying 3 or 4 and setting them along the shore so that I didnt need a boat...they're not that expensive, you can pick them up for between 10 to 20 euro

Do you use a boat to set yours?

• Advertisement

Do you cut a flap in the drum which they can get in, but not out of? you would need to weigh it down of course..do you use cement or rocks?

good on ya that your system works...nice work

Nice one Skipz...how do you make your pots?

I was thinking of buying 3 or 4 and setting them along the shore so that I didnt need a boat...they're not that expensive, you can pick them up for between 10 to 20 euro

Do you use a boat to set yours?

So would you be able to pick them up in any decent bait shop? Or would you need to go looking for them?

You can see them for sale in Buy and Sell, im up in the west so you see them for sale quite often in places like Killybegs and so on.

You wouldnt normally see them for sale in bait shops.

I think the law is, but dont quote me:rolleyes:, u can have 4 pots out for private use, anymore than that and it could be viewed as commercial fishing...

Lads ill post a few picks of my homemade pots soon and how to make them if you want.
    If your setting your pots from shore and not a boat its better to use the home made type as its easier to get the pots back, and cheaper, its fecking hard trying to pull a proper pot in as it fairly weighty and can get caught up in thr rock easy.
    The homemade way is the best way from the shore by far;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I believe spider crabs and velvet crabs are edible. I've caught a few in my time with the rod, they do hold onto the hook for dear life eating the bait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

pots will be the bestway :)

Well, I haven't caught any crabs yet but I went down to Sutton Strand the other day with a mate of mine and pulled up a good haul of Mussels.
    Good eatin'! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

How was ur stomach afterwards i would not eat anything shellfish from sutton, I collect bait there all the time and some of the things you see and smell around there would put me off, I know that the mussels beds are collected and brought up north were the water quality is better and left there for 6+ months to allow the the dirt from dublin bay to filter out of them,
    also almost all the crab around dublin bay are shore crab you need to set your traps in deeper water to have a chance at getting edible crab and lobster i reckon you will need a boat, to reach deep enough water,
    Well, I haven't caught any crabs yet but I went down to Sutton Strand the other day with a mate of mine and pulled up a good haul of Mussels.
    Good eatin'! :D

peterk19 wrote: »
    How was ur stomach afterwards i would not eat anything shellfish from sutton, I collect bait there all the time and some of the things you see and smell around there would put me off, I know that the mussels beds are collected and brought up north were the water quality is better and left there for 6+ months to allow the the dirt from dublin bay to filter out of them,
    also almost all the crab around dublin bay are shore crab you need to set your traps in deeper water to have a chance at getting edible crab and lobster i reckon you will need a boat, to reach deep enough water,

Really? Huh, I dunno, the stomach was grand afterwards, not a bother like. Like I wasn't the only one collecting them so I figured they must be alright. I ate them three days in a row without so much as a suspect fart. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

peterk19 wrote: »

The bay is a helluva lot cleaner than it used to be, but not totally. More info on the mussel fishing in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055693705

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

skipz wrote: »
    Lads ill post a few picks of my homemade pots soon and how to make them if you want.
    If your setting your pots from shore and not a boat its better to use the home made type as its easier to get the pots back, and cheaper, its fecking hard trying to pull a proper pot in as it fairly weighty and can get caught up in thr rock easy.
    The homemade way is the best way from the shore by far;)

I know this thread is from 2010, but any chance of a few pics of them pots skipz???:)

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I know this thread is from 2010, but any chance of a few pics of them pots skipz???:)

I'am sorry Dusty, i never got around to putting them up!
    I cant now, i dont live in Ireland anymore and that camera is gone. :).

Its easy enough to make if you use a real pot as guide;)

Advertisement